58 replies to this topic

#21 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

Tilt your stick to all corners to calibrate and stop the spinning. (Same thing happens when I use gamepad with UT2004.) You only have to calibrate once per app launch.

#22 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

View Postnagromme, on April 8th 2007, 04:36 PM, said:

Tilt your stick to all corners to calibrate and stop the spinning. (Same thing happens when I use gamepad with UT2004.) You only have to calibrate once per app launch.

Ah, I recall using a specific command in other games to do this, I guess this one is auto calibrating AND you need  to do it each time, eh? Does this only work in-game?"

Thanks for the tip...

#23 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

I think you have to do it in-game, while the gamepad is actually being read.

#24 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

Thanks again... was shocked to find that the game itself actually supports all the buttons on my stick!

I usually get lots of mileage out of a demo because the old reflexes are just that, old. This one was over pretty quick, 2 shortish missions and I got a campaign over.

Still not sure I really understand "glide" mode.

Oh, could it be that you get to within 100 or so meters/feet of the bogey and the go into "glide" mode? And that it keeps you at that distance, so you don't have to waste resources using your afterburners?

#25 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

View Postpaulc, on April 9th 2007, 02:21 PM, said:

Still not sure I really understand "glide" mode.

Oh, could it be that you get to within 100 or so meters/feet of the bogey and the go into "glide" mode? And that it keeps you at that distance, so you don't have to waste resources using your afterburners?

I'm not an expert by any means, but how I understand it is... Glide mode keeps your ship on the same trajectory you were on when you activated it, regardless of which direction you turn your ship. For example, say you've got a Cylon raider on your tail. Since you're busy running away, he's behind you and you can't shoot him, no tail guns. So what do you do? You activate glide mode then flip your ship 180. Now you're traveling backwards on the same trajectory away from the raider only now your guns are facing him, as you are, so you can shoot back.

Does that make sense?

Bif

#26 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

View PostBifBologna, on April 9th 2007, 08:24 PM, said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but how I understand it is... Glide mode keeps your ship on the same trajectory you were on when you activated it, regardless of which direction you turn your ship. For example, say you've got a Cylon raider on your tail. Since you're busy running away, he's behind you and you can't shoot him, no tail guns. So what do you do? You activate glide mode then flip your ship 180. Now you're traveling backwards on the same trajectory away from the raider only now your guns are facing him, as you are, so you can shoot back.
Not to mention it's great for the same thing as on the show. Get along the same trajectory as a large target, hit glide mode, swing to the side, and let loose with the guns while you float by.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#27 mtr

mtr

FreeSpace Upgrade Project

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

For anyone having the hard-freeze-on-bottom-of-screen problem, give this build a try:  http://icculus.org/~.../btrl_nopbo.dmg

It's the same as the installer build, except that it doesn't use PBOs.  The presence of PBO support appears to be about the only difference between those that get the hard-freeze and those that don't.  Assuming this fixes the problem I'll go through the PBO and try to figure out what's going on.  It might just be an Apple/driver issue though, since the same code works fine on both Windows and Linux.

#28 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thanks--I'll try it. What are PBOs?

#29 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

View Postnagromme, on April 10th 2007, 03:46 PM, said:

Thanks--I'll try it. What are PBOs?

Pixel Buffer Objects.

Aren't you glad you asked now? ;)
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#30 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Wow, sounds great for for efficient image transfers to and from buffer objects!!

(No, I'm not glad I asked, nor is anyone glad I can copy and paste from Wikipedia :) )

#31 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

And here I thought it meant Peanut Butter Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Glide I found out a bit more about... apparently, there is always some amount of friction in the physics engine, so if you shut down thrust, you will eventually come to a stop. Glide mode instantly shuts down thrust and makes your Viper friction free. Like in the show itself, it seems the best use is when someone is on your six, hit glide mode, spin around 180 and pump some rounds into them.

Am I crazy, or are there only 2 "missions" to the demo? Seems kinda short. Then again, the missions seem long ONLY because it's taking me a lot of time to get kills, I seem to need to get on the afterburners and get under 150m to have effective shots.

Any ideas about the full version? End of summer, next year?

#32 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

View Postpaulc, on April 10th 2007, 11:32 PM, said:

Am I crazy, or are there only 2 "missions" to the demo?
Didn't read the "read me", hm? ;)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#33 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

3 missions.

But what defines a mission? Are the 2 asteroid levels I've seen just parts of mission 1? Or am I at the end (once I frag Fractal!) and the tutorial counts as a level? Just wondering. I WILL get Fractal thanks to Glide mode and aiming for the octagon :)

#34 mtr

mtr

FreeSpace Upgrade Project

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

View Postpaulc, on April 10th 2007, 05:32 PM, said:

Am I crazy, or are there only 2 "missions" to the demo? Seems kinda short. Then again, the missions seem long ONLY because it's taking me a lot of time to get kills, I seem to need to get on the afterburners and get under 150m to have effective shots.
There are more missions for multi-player than for single-player in the demo.  But I think that there have been 2 or 3 other missions released by fans already too.  I wouldn't be too surprised if there were an extra mission pack for the demo at some point either.  The asteroid model, which causes the big slowdowns in the second mission, should be fixed in the upcoming patch (no ETA yet though, they are still deciding on exactly what to fix/change) and there might be a new/updated ship model or two at some point as well.  So the current state of the demo isn't all that there is, it's a base that they can build upon and keep people interested in the project during the wait for the full release.

#35 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

OK, the no PBO version DOES fix the freezes :) (And changes the gamma somehow too--I can no longer get the stripes to blend, although everything looks good regardless.)

I read something about being able to fly a Mk II and a Raptor in the demo. But maybe that's only in multiplayer?

I know there are vital settings that must be changed for multiplayer to work, but the readme isn't installed by the installer so I need to re-install and remember to Save the readme. Then I'll hop in multi :) Maybe even run a host :)

#36 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

OK, I retreived the ReadMe. To get a multiplayer account (for BSG AND FS2?) sign up here:
http://fs2netd.game-warden.com

Then use your registered name as your pilot name in the game, and make sure to set the following options:

- TCP on, IPX off (leave IP blank unless playing on LAN)

- /MULTIDATA off

- PXO on (enter your registered name and password; Squadron is not used)

- Object Update should always be Low (except High if hosting--which needs port 7808)

- Transfer Missions set to /MISSIONS, not /MULTIDATA

- Flush Cache set to Never

#37 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

View Postnagromme, on April 10th 2007, 04:42 PM, said:

OK, I retreived the ReadMe. To get a multiplayer account (for BSG AND FS2?) sign up here:
http://fs2netd.game-warden.com

Then use your registered name as your pilot name in the game, and make sure to set the following options:

- TCP on, IPX off (leave IP blank unless playing on LAN)

- /MULTIDATA off

- PXO on (enter your registered name and password; Squadron is not used)

- Object Update should always be Low (except High if hosting--which needs port 7808)

- Transfer Missions set to /MISSIONS, not /MULTIDATA

- Flush Cache set to Never

Just a quick reminder in case anyone missed it before in the FS2_Open thread...

The PXO option won't work for for PPC Macs currently. If you turn it on and try to go into the briefing area, it will look like it's loading, for a rather long time, then will unceremoniously drop you to the desktop. It's a known issue with FS2NetD code which I believe they are working on replacing.

Bif

#38 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

I see. So if PXO is required to be On, then does that mean PPC has no multiplayer?

Or is the ReadMe's direction to turn PXO on actually optional?

(For that matter, is registering a playername optional? The ReadMe makes it sound like it's mandatory.)

#39 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but the PPC version can do multiplayer via IP, as can anyone else.

Bif

#40 Infinity

Infinity

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

You can also play the missions over, depending on what you do some stuff will be different :)