#41 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 23rd 2007, 03:25 PM, said:

teflon, I use Transmission as my bit torrent client. Love it's simplicity.

ill take a look, but ive tried several clients, and azureus still won me over because i can see everything thats going on, and set everything up exactly how i want it. True, i lose a fair few CPU cycles, and it hogs my RAM, but to me its worth it.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#42 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

View PostTesseract, on March 22nd 2007, 07:26 PM, said:

Does my suggestion of passing gcc the option "-mfpmath=387" not work?

Yes and no. Yes, it makes the game use x87 math, no it doesn't solve the issue as the OS math libraries still use SSE math.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#43 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 23rd 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

You can bet that the problem is a little more complicated to be solved like this...
I wasn't suggesting that Brad & Co missed something simple like that, I was just curious as to the reasons why it didn't help.

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 24th 2007, 01:44 AM, said:

Yes, we went down that path- I don't remember the specifics but needless to say, PC compatibility did not ensue :(

View PostBrad Oliver, on March 24th 2007, 05:43 AM, said:

Yes and no. Yes, it makes the game use x87 math, no it doesn't solve the issue as the OS math libraries still use SSE math.
Ah, I see. :(

Thanks for the details, Brad.

#44 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

View PostEric5h5, on March 23rd 2007, 10:15 AM, said:

No, Glenda quite clearly on several occasions said to expect some Intel-only games in 2007.

--Eric

I wonder how the intel Mac base compares with the PPC Mac base which can handle this game?

#45 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

Not a bad looking game - unfortunately it looks like it'll be coming out at the wrong time : Just when C&C 3 is coming out.
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

View PostNicholas, on March 26th 2007, 10:35 AM, said:

...Just when C&C 3 is coming out.
Not for the Mac... :D

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

Indeed...  But thats what BootCamps for :)
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#48 BigYellow

BigYellow

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 22nd 2007, 12:30 PM, said:

My experience shows the opposite. I never had a bittorrent download that was faster than the appropiate HTTP download - not a single time. And before you ask: my provider does not block bittorrent and it is not a problem with my firewall. It's always either too few seeders or too slow seeder connections.

I can understand the motivation to use bittorrent for the file providers, though.

View Postkingarthur_kom, on March 22nd 2007, 07:21 PM, said:

I disagree Azureus is by far the worst BT client!  :angry:
It eats up all my RAM & slows my computer to a crawl. Not to mention it never connects correctly.
I use Bits on Wheels instead. Anything that doesn't use Java is good.

Too late Janich, I'm telling you that it is either throttled or restricted.  Try changing ports, and forwarding the new ports (in the 50000-60000 range somewhere) through your router and firewall.  Some ISP's essentially block connections on certain ports, making it impossible for your machine to connect to the seeders that are out there.

Also, you don't need a lot of seeders for a fast connection.  All you need is one or two, and a lot of peers...  Every client downloads the chunks in a different order, making the distribution incredibly efficient, as the data spreads like a virus throughout the network of peers.

and kingarthur, i agree, azureus is chunky...  But it is the most useful BT client if you have serious issues.  My ISP throttles the default BT ports, and blocks most connections on those same ports, but once I moved to a port range well away from that, my speeds picked right up.  I now get the same speeds on a popular torrent as I get from the fastest HTTP sites I've ever used...  If you're connected to more than 1 or 2 seeders, and more than 10 or 15 peers, and your download isn't maxing out your connection, try increasing your upload rate.  Other than that, try a new port range.  It's always worked for me.

-Biggie!

#49 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

View PostBigYellow, on March 27th 2007, 09:25 PM, said:

Too late Janich, I'm telling you that it is either throttled or restricted.
You can be sure that when I say, that bittorrent is not throttled by my ISP, it is not throttled by my ISP.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#50 BigYellow

BigYellow

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Well, they're clearly doing something, because my BT is set up properly and it flies...

If they're not 'throttling' in the true sense of hte word, then either they're restricting the number of simultaneous connections on that port range, or you have something set up wrong.

-Biggie!