dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

I grabbed it last night and ran through the first tutorial.  Very crisp look, love the graphics.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#22 BigYellow

BigYellow

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

View PostNicholas, on March 22nd 2007, 01:29 AM, said:

0 seeds and 0 peers - this is going to take a while :(

View PostJanichsan, on March 22nd 2007, 03:06 AM, said:

That's why I despise bittorrent.

BitTorrent is by far the fastest and most efficient way to transmit files like this.

Set up your router to forward the appropriate ports.  You can look in the BT prefs, I believe the default starting point is 6881, and then each additional torrent takes the next port sequentially, ie. 6881, 6882, etc.  So if this is the only one you're downloading, simply forward that first port to the downloading computer.  And i'd probably turn off LittleSnitch, and configure your firewall to allow the same port as the router in, and not to restrict outgoing traffic...  bittorrent will make connections on all kinds of ports, because lots of people change their BT port numbers to avoid throttling by their ISP's

That being said, it blows my mind that this is Intel-only.  It does not make financial sense to say that it can either be released Intel-only or not at all.  I would think they would sell more copies by releasing a UB version...  Enough additional copies to justify the expense.  Or, if release time is an issue, release a PPC-only version, that people can run on Rosetta for the time being (which BTW is getting sped up significantly in Leopard if I'm not mistaken), and then release a UB patch when its ready.  Then everyone can play now, and the intel people can run it faster when the UB patch comes out.

I'm definitely in favor of Apple's switch to Intel, but that doesn't mean that I want to abandon my Dual 2.7GHz G5.  Its got the Radeon X850XT option, 2GB RAM and 2x250GB HD's...  It's a machine when it comes to gaming... As it should be, seeing as how I bought it about 18 months ago.

Get your popsnizzle together Aspyr.

-Biggie!

#23 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

View Postpaulc, on March 21st 2007, 04:49 PM, said:

As it seems such a bad business decision, I have to wonder what REALLY is going on. There's  more to this than meets the eye.

I'll let you in on the secret: network compatibility.

The Intel Windows version uses x87 floating-point math, the Intel Mac version uses SSE floating-point math, the PPC version uses it's own math chip. The end result is that if you were to play a network game in a Mac version of Empire at War, PPC users would be unable to play against Intel users without risking massive sync errors. That's pretty confusing, so for now it's Intel-only until we can figure out if there's some way to include either PPC users (and keep it Mac only) or include Windows users (and make it cross-platform, minus PPC Mac users).

"I WANT TO BELIEVE!" ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#24 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

View PostBigYellow, on March 22nd 2007, 04:46 PM, said:

BitTorrent is by far the fastest and most efficient way to transmit files like this.
Its also the slowest way, especially as most ISPs will throttle speeds when using  BitTorrents.  I've only got 7 hours to go - which is better than earlier today, when it would have taken a week.
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

View PostBigYellow, on March 22nd 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

My experience shows the opposite. I never had a bittorrent download that was faster than the appropiate HTTP download - not a single time. And before you ask: my provider does not block bittorrent and it is not a problem with my firewall. It's always either too few seeders or too slow seeder connections.

I can understand the motivation to use bittorrent for the file providers, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

View PostJanichsan, on March 22nd 2007, 03:30 PM, said:

I can understand the motivation to use bittorrent for the file providers, though.

I think that's what he meant by "Most efficient."  He didn't say fastest for the client, but it probably saves the publisher boo-coo bucks on their bandwidth!  :lol:

#27 LMOP

LMOP

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

View PostNicholas, on March 22nd 2007, 08:29 AM, said:

0 seeds and 0 peers - this is going to take a while :(
Same problem with me. I'm using BitTorrent 4.4.1 and its log is full of "Problem connecting to tracker - Not a gzipped file". Other clients may handle this case more sensibly.

#28 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

use Azureus. its by far the best torrent client.

next, open up a port in the 50000s, this is mainly because you will sometimes find that ports 6881-6889 (basically, the defaults) are blocked by most trackers, or they will throttle the speed.

make sure that the port isnt blocked in any way, and you have a clear shot from your computer to your router to your modem and finally to the internet.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

I thought every things Aspyr was currently doing was universal binary, or is the full version going to be UB?
Thanks!

#30 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

No, it's also Intel only.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#31 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

as Brad Oliver says elsewhere, its going to come down to whether getting PC-Mac or PPC-intel multiplayer working better... then they might release a UB patch to get it working for "the rest of us".

or theyll release a patch so that you can play against PC users...

really it came down to practicalities, time and money when deciding to do a UB or not.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#32 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

View Postteflon, on March 22nd 2007, 03:55 PM, said:

use Azureus. its by far the best torrent client.

next, open up a port in the 50000s, this is mainly because you will sometimes find that ports 6881-6889 (basically, the defaults) are blocked by most trackers, or they will throttle the speed.

make sure that the port isnt blocked in any way, and you have a clear shot from your computer to your router to your modem and finally to the internet.

I disagree Azureus is by far the worst BT client!  :angry:
It eats up all my RAM & slows my computer to a crawl. Not to mention it never connects correctly.
I use Bits on Wheels instead. Anything that doesn't use Java is good.

#33 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on March 23rd 2007, 03:51 AM, said:

I'll let you in on the secret: network compatibility.

The Intel Windows version uses x87 floating-point math, the Intel Mac version uses SSE floating-point math
Does my suggestion of passing gcc the option "-mfpmath=387" not work?

#34 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:07 AM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on March 23rd 2007, 02:21 AM, said:

I disagree Azureus is by far the worst BT client!  :angry:
It eats up all my RAM & slows my computer to a crawl. Not to mention it never connects correctly.
I use Bits on Wheels instead. Anything that doesn't use Java is good.

yes, its a bit of a hog, and could easily do with a lot of optimisation, but its the best because its so incredibly customisable.

#35 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:46 AM

View PostTesseract, on March 23rd 2007, 03:26 AM, said:

You can bet that the problem is a little more complicated to be solved like this...

#36 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

View PostJanichsan, on March 22nd 2007, 06:08 PM, said:

No, it's also Intel only.

I guess I'm shocked. I know that everything Feral is releasing in 2007 will be UB. (At least they said so.) I could have sworn that Glenda made a statement indicating something similar for Aspyr games.  :crying:

#37 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

View PostTesseract, on March 22nd 2007, 07:26 PM, said:

Yes, we went down that path- I don't remember the specifics but needless to say, PC compatibility did not ensue :(
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 23rd 2007, 08:41 AM, said:

I guess I'm shocked. I know that everything Feral is releasing in 2007 will be UB. (At least they said so.) I could have sworn that Glenda made a statement indicating something similar for Aspyr games.  :crying:

No, Glenda quite clearly on several occasions said to expect some Intel-only games in 2007.

--Eric

#39 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

View Postclocknova, on March 22nd 2007, 08:13 AM, said:

10 min (so far) to download a 35k torrent file.  Now THAT'S overloaded!

~400k/sec download for the torrent, though.  Wheeeeee!

I'm currently getting 3.3MB/sec on my work fibre cable. Yummy. It only took 4-1/2 minutes.

teflon, I use Transmission as my bit torrent client. Love it's simplicity.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#40 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

Bah - I've got an 8Mb ADSL connection, and its now decided it wants to take 12 days.

Probably be quicker to get the demo if/when it appears on Mac Format...

Yay!  As standard file transfer is now availiable - will only take a few hours now.
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...