#61 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:00 AM

View PostAtticus, on June 19th 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

OK, guys, convince me that I should get STALKER (periods are implied). From the reviews I've read, seems like a solidly good--not great--game. Almost as if the reviewers felt bad that these hapless Eastern European developers poured fifteen years of their lives, rubles, and wodka into the game's development, and so the press wanted to throw them some kind of a bone (you know, a 7 or 8 out of 10). So not exactly a must-have AAA title, in my observation. Am I wrong?

I'd say that what you are seeing is that people are reviewing a game that they expected to be a disaster, yet miraculously wasn't. For awhile it sounded like they were going to destroy the game completely.

View PostAtticus, on June 19th 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

For me, there's that "Whoa!" moment in every great game that hooks you like a fish. Sometimes it comes in the first five minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of sessions. But if that doesn't happen, the game ain't great.

Does STALKER have that "Whoa!" potential?

It really depends on what it is that tickles you in a game. I'm probably not the best person to answer this. I noticed you mentioned AAA titles. I don't seem to agree with most people about these sorts of games. For example, I didn't really enjoy Halo or Half-Life. Yet both of those games are considered some of the best games ever made by a lot of people. I tend to classify both of those as "set piece" games. That is, they provide a lot of moments that would probably be at home in a movie. Action packed, and slickly presented. Stalker is very much not like that. It sneaks up on you with what makes it good (at least in my opinion). Little moments that give you a sense of place and environment. Sure, it has it's big moments, but they tend to be big because the game built them up in the interim.

Also, if you are looking for a very story driven game, you might want to pass this one over. Although there is a story, it is not the primary focus of the game. Characters tend to blend into the background. In my opinion, this works out for the best. For example, when I picked over the inventory of a contact I had spoken to just a short while ago... after he had been torn apart by feral dogs. I felt a bit filthy and amoral doing such a thing. Yet I never felt the need to go back to some past save file and rescue the guy. But that was the point. The game gets the idea across that this is not a pleasant place, and it is filled by various people who don't really feel much concern for each other.

Ultimately, if you are looking for an atmospheric game that manages to evoke a slightly earlier style of FPS design, this is it. Plus, you get to explore some really awesome looking underground labs. They really got the look down perfect in those.

#62 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:48 AM

View PostAtticus, on June 19th 2007, 09:59 PM, said:

OK, guys, convince me that I should get STALKER (periods are implied). From the reviews I've read, seems like a solidly good--not great--game.

I played Stalker for a couple of weeks then went back to resume Oblivion: Knights of the Nine. It's an o.k. game, but missing it would not be a tragedy.

Before starting to play it, I imagined something like Doom3, mostly dark and scary inside the reactor building. But so far there is a lot of out door environments which I like. And there are lots of mutated critters running about reminding me of the original Half Life. Those outdoor areas are linear such as a road with about a space of 2000' total on both sides of it. (Linearity does not bother me for FPSs). New areas have zone loads. The A.I. seems decent, but it still does predictable things. Such as, if bad guys are after you and you fall back, they will follow, making it easy to shoot them. When they are looking for you they have a tendency to taunt you saying something that sounds like "chicky licky". :)

Bottom line I can't guarantee you'll love this game. As compared to HL2, it's rough around the edges, but what isn't? ;)

#63 randfee

randfee

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

Hey guys,

has anyone tried it on the new MBPs with the 8600mGT? Somebody mentioned that it didn't run at all on the C2D ones with a X1600. Anybody any ideas?

The game surely sounds and looks like fun, I'd consider playing it waiting for Crysis! :)
crazy physicist
MBP SR 2,4GHz | GeForce 8600mGT 256MB | 4GB RAM (Buffalo) | 250GB (WD2500BEVS)

#64 yellow#5

yellow#5

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

I run it on a 1st gen core duo MBP with an x1600 w/ 256 MB of vram. I need to crank down the lighting and a number of other settings, but it's definitely playable. Probably hovering around 25-30 FPS, which is fine because it's not extremely twitchy.

I also have 2 gigs of RAM, if that makes any difference.

#65 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:27 AM

Runs fine on a SR MBP 2.4GHz with the 8600m GT 256MB.
Hasn't crashed yet either.
This game kind of reminds me a bit of Fallout/Fallout2. Similar setting, but in 3D FPS, very nice, I like it a lot.
Now officially the forum idiot

#66 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:02 AM

By the way, there is supposed to be a sequel for this game. The videos of it look pretty good. Hopefully it doesn't take forever like the first part did.

#67 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I finished playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it's a helluva game. It's long and non-liner. There are lots of side quests. I absolutely love the huge outdoor environments and the atmosphere. The roaming packs of feral dogs, the radiation, the various anomalies, the corpses, the hidden caches--they all add tremendous verisimilitude and menace to the game's evironment. I love seeing the headlamps on other stalkers or soldiers illuminating the road at night. Overall, I liked the variety and balance of weapons. The RPG was useless and should've been left out of the game or given more ammo. I only ever found two RPG shells to use in the game. I also found the shotguns to be weak and slow, but I loved the various assault rifles and the Vintar sniper rifle. I'm glad the developers made it so the armour and weapons wear out; it added some dimension and tension to the game.

Sure, it's a bit buggy: several issues with completed quests resetting or not registering as complete. But it only crashed on me once. I also would've liked to see some women in the game, some big, burly Ukrainian chicks with shotguns.

The false ending was a little confusing. If I hadn't looked at a game faq, I wouldn't have known about the real ending. This was partly due to a bug with the Ghost quest I completed. I found Ghost's corpse and got the info about Guide, but I never did find Guide in the Cordon where he was supposed to be. Bastard must've died. As a result, I never found out about the decoder in the hotel in Pripyat, and so I couldn't open the secret door in Chernobyl. Fortunately, thanks to Google and YouTube, I discovered how to open the secret door with an assault rifle.

All in all, an awesome game. It reminded me of Deus Ex, although the game play wasn't as deep as Deus Ex's.

#68 Pluto

Pluto

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

Believe it or not but once S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was announced as Mac game also:

http://www.amazon.co...h...631&sr=1-15

#69 QuantaCat

QuantaCat

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1995 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

I gave STALKER, the Platinum Pack or whatever it was called (radiant pack? radioactive pack? no wait, thats a duke nukem addon), as a birthday gift. She had to buy a new computer to play it, but now she finally has, and will start soon! I hope she likes it.
QC.

avatar courtesy of James Grimlee.