#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17421 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on April 24th 2007, 06:13 AM, said:

Between work and Family I have no time for the forum or games. However I couldn't help getting STALKER. Cold War Russia, Automatic Weapons, FPS, Mutants. How could you lose!? Well the game I think is great. The atmosphere and depth is a nice change indeed. This isn't your normal run and gun. As a matter of fact if you decide to run and gun you will not last 10 min. This is a true RPG/FPS. It takes time and  drive to play this game out.

More than anything you need a beast of a system. To be clear on this the recommended system requirements ask for hardware that isn't even available yet. It barley runs on my rig. I have a AMD X2 4200+ with 3 gigs of ram and a ATI X1900GT. This isn't a huge system but it isn't small ether. Just food for thought when buying this game.  :nods:
I really want this game.  I've been jonesing for a RPG/FPS since Deus Ex.  Hopefully by the time I get a computer that can run it, it will be a computer that can REALLY run it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:29 AM

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

So I'm fighting past all the monolith guys on my way to the brain scorcher. Now the giant glowing and flashing towers should have told me that something was up, but I kind of figured I'd be OK. I have bullets! Those should kill any nasty things I could happen to come across. I'm up on the trail and things are getting... sepiaish. I've got some loud angry disembodied voice mumbling at me, and psychos kicking exploding barrels down the hill at me. Then... FLAMING SEE THROUGH HAND GRABS AT ME FROM BEHIND! I don't tend to make much noise in single player games, but I sure did in this situation. I started yelling and emptied my entire magazine straight into the ground... It's a hallucination from the brain scorcher. Great, just great. I blew 30 rounds of ammo on something that wasn't even there, and woke the parrot up. This is not a game that should be played at 3AM in the dark. Or, perhaps it's better that way. ;)

#43 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:38 AM

View PostNo One, on April 28th 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

***SPOILERS AHEAD***
So I'm fighting past all the monolith guys on my way to the brain scorcher. Now the giant glowing and flashing towers should have told me that something was up, but I kind of figured I'd be OK. I have bullets! Those should kill any nasty things I could happen to come across. I'm up on the trail and things are getting... sepiaish. I've got some loud angry disembodied voice mumbling at me, and psychos kicking exploding barrels down the hill at me. Then... FLAMING SEE THROUGH HAND GRABS AT ME FROM BEHIND! I don't tend to make much noise in single player games, but I sure did in this situation. I started yelling and emptied my entire magazine straight into the ground... It's a hallucination from the brain scorcher. Great, just great. I blew 30 rounds of ammo on something that wasn't even there, and woke the parrot up. This is not a game that should be played at 3AM in the dark. Or, perhaps it's better that way. ;)

lol - yeah, I ran low on amo shooting those never ending phantom beasties until I realised they don't hurt, it's all in the mind (the phantom grey pseudodogs in Red forest DO hurt though)!

The first time I went down into lab x18 and a poltergeist sent a skeletons pelvis floating up before my eyes it really sent a chill down my spine! It was so unexpected. I'm playing with a darker night mod now, which makes things a lot more interesting with static lighting. I tend to hang out with the lads around a fire at night now!
What, Me worry?

#44 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

***SPOILER WARNING***

View PostGloops, on April 28th 2007, 06:38 AM, said:

The first time I went down into lab x18 and a poltergeist sent a skeletons pelvis floating up before my eyes it really sent a chill down my spine! It was so unexpected.

Same thing happened here :D. I was looking over the skeleton and suddenly bits of it started to float. Start backing off when I realized that something was not completely right. As is standard for me, I made sure to shoot at all the flying bits of bone. Didn't accomplish anything, but at least I was doing something. ;)

I think that lab was what made me realize why the game is good. It's actually a lot like Super Metroid in fact. The actual story of the game is there, but it's kind of in the background. The real meat of the game is looking at the environment and trying to discern what was going on before you got there. Lab x18 really did that well. When I got inside I had no clue what was causing all these strange things to happen. Maybe it really was ghosts. But as I got further in, and got a chance to examine the equipment, I started to realize that these "creatures" were most likely created here. It impresses me that I can piece together a story with no, or very little, text of any kind. Plus, I love the look of everything. The machines and facilities look like they were used for something amazingly important at one point. I suppose that's why it's possible to infer meaning from them.

I also like how the game keeps me feeling kind of unsettled at all times (Without always resorting to cheap scares). The bunker where you turn the brain scorcher off is great at this (Just finished it today in fact). On the surface it was all chaos. But once you get into the bunker... nothing. Nothing at all. I was shifting about expecting some terrible monster to come after me. But all I found were a few bloodsuckers. And they were all out in the open. The game got me more scared by doing absolutely nothing than it could have by throwing something at me. It played my own expectations and fears against me. Very clever.

#45 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:41 AM

View PostThe Mail Man, on April 24th 2007, 08:13 AM, said:

Between work and Family I have no time for the forum or games. However I couldn't help getting STALKER. Cold War Russia, Automatic Weapons, FPS, Mutants. How could you lose!? Well the game I think is great. The atmosphere and depth is a nice change indeed. This isn't your normal run and gun. As a matter of fact if you decide to run and gun you will not last 10 min. This is a true RPG/FPS. It takes time and  drive to play this game out.

More than anything you need a beast of a system. To be clear on this the recommended system requirements ask for hardware that isn't even available yet. It barley runs on my rig. I have a AMD X2 4200+ with 3 gigs of ram and a ATI X1900GT. This isn't a huge system but it isn't small ether. Just food for thought when buying this game.  :nods:

I'm tempted to try it on my 3.1 Pentium 4 with a paltry 2GB RAM.

How does this game compare to Doom3 (for anyone who cares to make a comparison)?

#46 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 30th 2007, 01:41 PM, said:

I'm tempted to try it on my 3.1 Pentium 4 with a paltry 2GB RAM.

How does this game compare to Doom3 (for anyone who cares to make a comparison)?

Doom3 goes for cheep jumps, Stalker goes for general pervading eeriness. Doom is a linear, corridor shooter, Stalker is a free roaming FPS with RPG elements (although, the RPG aspect isn't very well realised). I played Doom once and that was it, I'm on my second run through Stalker. The main plot is the same as the first time, but the incidentals are random. For example, in the opening level there's a military base, way off at the maps boundary. I didn't encounter any troops in my first run but on my second trip a patrol was attacked by some boars and they started spraying bullets about. A stray shot went through the village, which enraged the locals, a shootout ensued and the patrol was killed. Then the whole level filled with Spetsnaz looking for retribution, which made things a lot trickier!

Apparently a patch is in the works which will unlock the 'Alife' AI after the story is complete and make them completly free roaming - which will make things even more sandbox like.

So, Doom is heavily scripted (and all indoors) - seen it once, seen it all. Stalker is atmospheric and random, has interesting weather with intense thunderstorms, and is a bit hard to describe.
What, Me worry?

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

Gloops,
Thanks for the description. Doom3 was dark and scary but highly linear and scripted as you mentioned.

What the heck, I picked up the game yesterday. It's looking good overall, but the graphics and animation (so far) are not in the same league with HL2.  However free roaming is better than HL2's linear nature. I've been in no big fights, but the performance so far is good on my Pentium 4.

#48 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

I've played through the first couple of areas on one-up-from-the-total-wimp difficulty setting and when fighting bandits who have shotguns and automatic rifles, it sure is tough with just a pistol. In fact I was almost indignant at how hard it was until, something like semi-reality dawned on me. Oh right, it would be tough. I'm just to used to cruising through HL2 without a care in the world. :) I also like how the A.I. makes these guys try to flank you. Nice.

For anyone playing here is a Walkthrough.

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:29 AM

The walkthrough link I posted says this:

Photec from Norway writes: At the very beginning of the game you talk to Wolf. Behind Wolf there is a ladder. Climb the ladder and go on to the right hand ledge before you get to the second level of the building. Run on the roof and jump to the nearby building (the one closer to the road). Go to the left hand side of the roof, find an opening and destroy the crate there. This makes it possible to get the armour hidden within, which is quite superior to the others you can find at that point.

I tried this. There only appears to be one building that is close enough to jump to and the holes in its roof appear to be too small to crawl through. There is some exposed lattice but I can't break through it with a knife or gun or jumping on it.

Having some better armor than a plain leather coat would be nice. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!

#50 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 3rd 2007, 04:29 AM, said:

I tried this. There only appears to be one building that is close enough to jump to and the holes in its roof appear to be too small to crawl through. There is some exposed lattice but I can't break through it with a knife or gun or jumping on it.

Having some better armor than a plain leather coat would be nice. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks!

Yeah, that was the suit Gloops mentioned on page 1. Though the suit is not as nice as it was during the pre-patch days. To get it you'll need to climb up the ladder behind wolf. Don't go inside the attic. Instead carefully move to the side and get on the roof instead. Then run along the roof and jump at the very last moment to get to the next house (The leap of faith I mentioned before). Then go to the opposite end of the house. There will be a corner of the house that is missing parts of the roof. You can't climb through, but you can see a crate in there if you crouch. Shoot the crate (not the lattice, there is no way to actually get into the attic) a few times and it should break. Then crouch down and hit your action button to pick up the suit through the roof. Sometimes the suit bounces and you can't reach it. You'll have to reload in that case. Or you might want to try a low crouch, and move around until you see the pickup message.

The ability to pickup items through doors is kind of interesting. I noticed that I was able to grab locker doors without opening them (Even if they were locked). Apparently you can also use weapons to break open some locked containers and doors. I was able to shoot out a padlock on a door
Spoiler

#51 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

View PostHuntn, on May 3rd 2007, 12:29 PM, said:

The walkthrough link I posted says this:

Photec from Norway writes: At the very beginning of the game you talk to Wolf. Behind Wolf there is a ladder. Climb the ladder and go on to the right hand ledge before you get to the second level of the building. Run on the roof and jump to the nearby building (the one closer to the road). Go to the left hand side of the roof, find an opening and destroy the crate there. This makes it possible to get the armour hidden within, which is quite superior to the others you can find at that point.

Thanks!

Shoot the box and grab the armour/armor through the hole. It may be an idea to shoot the box from the hole on the far side of the roof in case you push it out of reach. Useful protection for the never ending bandit spawn in Garbage, which is due to be fixed in the imminent patch 2 - which was supposed to be out yesterday (the Ruskies already have theirs). I'm holding off moving north until it arrives!
What, Me worry?

#52 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:38 AM

I'm just hoping the second patch fixes the problem with the game assigning you the same defense missions every time you cross into a new zone. A few of those repeat missions aren't even possible since it doesn't spawn in the group you are supposed to deal with in the first place. Plus, I hate having to go out of my way just to pick up something like a paltry 2000 ru or a worthless low level artifact. I do kind of hope it ups the spawn rate of certain monsters though. Getting trash thrown at my face in the train yard is rather entertaining. ;)

#53 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

View PostGloops, on May 3rd 2007, 07:00 AM, said:

Shoot the box and grab the armour/armor through the hole. It may be an idea to shoot the box from the hole on the far side of the roof in case you push it out of reach. Useful protection for the never ending bandit spawn in Garbage, which is due to be fixed in the imminent patch 2 - which was supposed to be out yesterday (the Ruskies already have theirs). I'm holding off moving north until it arrives!

I'll probably run back to the starter area to get this armor and I'll be looking for the patch.
Thanks!

You all might find this You Tube video interesting.

edit:: LOL, patch is out and it breaks all saved games! And the patch tells you that after it is installed. :wall: Guess I will be starting over. I thought this was going to be another Doom3, crawling around in dark spaces inside Chernobyl but so far it is all out in the country side. I read something that led me to believe getting into Chernobyl for the dark and scary places is the end game.

And so far the levels are linear (level linearity vs quest linearity).

Edited by Huntn, 03 May 2007 - 08:42 PM.

#54 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

New patch out - 1.0003, which is really 1.0002 the Russians had a couple of weeks ago with a couple more corrections.

http://www.stalker-g...n/?page=patches

I'll keep waiting for the big one.....
What, Me worry?

#55 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

i wonder if theyll ever get up to 1.1 or even 1.01...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#56 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

Just installed 1.0003. It does seem to be compatible with my my 1.0001 saves. I'm not really seeing any obvious changes yet.

#57 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

View PostNo One, on May 11th 2007, 07:14 PM, said:

Just installed 1.0003. It does seem to be compatible with my my 1.0001 saves. I'm not really seeing any obvious changes yet.
Thanks for the info! That info about incompatible saves came from a read-me I thought...

#58 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

View PostHuntn, on May 12th 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the info! That info about incompatible saves came from a read-me I thought...

The 1.0000 to 1.0001 patch did break saved game compatibility. Looks like they have things all sorted out in terms of save formats now.

#59 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

OK, guys, convince me that I should get STALKER (periods are implied). From the reviews I've read, seems like a solidly good--not great--game. Almost as if the reviewers felt bad that these hapless Eastern European developers poured fifteen years of their lives, rubles, and wodka into the game's development, and so the press wanted to throw them some kind of a bone (you know, a 7 or 8 out of 10). So not exactly a must-have AAA title, in my observation. Am I wrong?

For me, there's that "Whoa!" moment in every great game that hooks you like a fish. Sometimes it comes in the first five minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of sessions. But if that doesn't happen, the game ain't great.

Does STALKER have that "Whoa!" potential?

Atticus
Who's frequently wrong
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#60 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

View PostAtticus, on June 19th 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

OK, guys, convince me that I should get STALKER (periods are implied). From the reviews I've read, seems like a solidly good--not great--game. Almost as if the reviewers felt bad that these hapless Eastern European developers poured fifteen years of their lives, rubles, and wodka into the game's development, and so the press wanted to throw them some kind of a bone (you know, a 7 or 8 out of 10). So not exactly a must-have AAA title, in my observation. Am I wrong?

For me, there's that "Whoa!" moment in every great game that hooks you like a fish. Sometimes it comes in the first five minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of sessions. But if that doesn't happen, the game ain't great.

Does STALKER have that "Whoa!" potential?

Atticus
Who's frequently wrong

From what I've heard some say I don't think that's the case. In the PC gamer podcast for example I've heard them say that they where surprised by the game about how good it is. I need to try this game out for myself before I judge it though.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7