68 replies to this topic

#1 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

Anyone else finding themselves intrigued by S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? I'm getting a real Deus Ex vibe from the game. And, with Deus Ex being my favorite FPS I have high hopes for this. So far all the reviews seem generally positive, so I'm probably going to pick it up on Thursday (Target has it for $35 then). Hopefully it's as good as I'm wanting it to be.

#2 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

After waiting nearly a decade for the game to reach completion why wouldn't I?
What is a man?

#3 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

View PostIchigo27, on March 19th 2007, 09:23 PM, said:

After waiting nearly a decade for the game to reach completion why wouldn't I?

True. It was starting to get that DNF feel. I'm impressed they managed to ship it finally. I remember when I heard they were stripping features out, I was expecting another Doom style (Monster jumps out of doorway! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! repeat...) game and kind of lost interest. I'm pleased to hear they didn't cut everything.

#4 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

Overall I'm pleased with the respounce it received, looks well worth the wait. Can't wait to try it at a local gaming cafe.
What is a man?

#5 bulldogg80

bulldogg80

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:01 AM

Have anyone try this under boot camp? is it working fine?

Cheers

#6 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

View Postbulldogg80, on March 20th 2007, 05:01 AM, said:

Cheers

As far as I know the ship date is today, so it will probably take some time for that sort of information to become available.

#7 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

View Postbulldogg80, on March 20th 2007, 08:01 AM, said:

Cheers

I thought this was coming out for Windows & OS X at the same time?

#8 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on March 20th 2007, 01:32 PM, said:

I thought this was coming out for Windows & OS X at the same time?

Nope, Windows only. I haven't heard of any plans to bring it to OS X.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#9 bulldogg80

bulldogg80

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:32 AM

View PostNo One, on March 20th 2007, 01:14 PM, said:

As far as I know the ship date is today, so it will probably take some time for that sort of information to become available.

Ok I allreddy have the game, so i was thinking some other people here had it..

#10 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:39 AM

View Postbulldogg80, on March 20th 2007, 12:01 PM, said:

Cheers

Like all PC games it runs fine under BootCamp, I don't know why people keep asking since the games run the same as similar specced PCs.

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:43 AM

View PostHansi, on March 21st 2007, 12:39 PM, said:

Like all PC games it runs fine under BootCamp, I don't know why people keep asking since the games run the same as similar specced PCs.
Usually - there a some (very rare) examples where the standard BootCamp drivers make trouble.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

View PostJanichsan, on March 21st 2007, 11:43 AM, said:

Usually - there a some (very rare) examples where the standard BootCamp drivers make trouble.

Okay, well I haven't noticed any such instances after trying out over 100 games but as for STALKER there were some problems but they are game specific bugs not related to the bootcamp driver since they were also evident when running it on a PC.

#13 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

OK, just got the game today. It's interesting. It certainly has its rough spots. For example, it seems to crash from time to time. Also, the dialog text could have used some work. It doesn't always match what the VA's are saying.

But aside from that, the game really has an interesting atmosphere. It seems to be constantly generating a sense of foreboding... and then making good on that feeling. For example, I was doing one of the early side missions.
Spoiler

Edit:

I'm really hoping this game gets a patch. The amount of crashing has really ramped up all of the sudden (F6 F6 F6 F6 F6 F6!!!).

Combat is interesting. It is very easy to die in this game. So you can't just run into fights while holding down the fire button. Plus, enemies seem to be be fairly clever at times. I encountered a group of bandits that had apparently set up camp in some abandoned buildings (They weren't there the first time I went through). Took some time to dislodge them. I kept getting killed when I took corners too close. I would jump around the edge and they would just kill me with a single shotgun blast. I had to move away from edges and slowly move to the side so I could get an idea of what was around the corner.

#14 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

View PostNo One, on March 23rd 2007, 05:26 AM, said:

Combat is interesting. It is very easy to die in this game. So you can't just run into fights while holding down the fire button. Plus, enemies seem to be be fairly clever at times. I encountered a group of bandits that had apparently set up camp in some abandoned buildings (They weren't there the first time I went through). Took some time to dislodge them. I kept getting killed when I took corners too close. I would jump around the edge and they would just kill me with a single shotgun blast. I had to move away from edges and slowly move to the side so I could get an idea of what was around the corner.

sounds really really nice.

my kind of game...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#15 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:54 AM

View Postteflon, on March 23rd 2007, 01:08 AM, said:

sounds really really nice.

my kind of game...

So far it's been very fun, and it's really been pulling me in. I'm not very far into it yet, so who knows how it will turn out. Still, I don't think I'm suddenly going to start hating the game. The game seems to focus mostly on the environment and your interactions with it. The atmosphere is very creepy, and a bit disturbing at points (I've been playing it at night with a storm going outside. Kind of heightens the effect. :D ). The story seems to be rather forgettable so far, but the gameplay and style is holding my interest.

Though I feel the need to reiterate that this game could really use some bug fixing. Calling it unstable would be an understatement.

#16 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

Srewth. I remember reading about S.T.A.L.K.E.R about 5 years ago. I thought it was another Duke Nukem Fornever!

Anyone tried it on Mac hardware? I heard it's a hog. I'm afeared my 2 GHz iMac won't cut the mustard.
What, Me worry?

#17 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:28 AM

A patch for the game came out today. Most of the changes in the change list seemed focused on the multiplayer portion of the game. Still, it seems it has changed some things on the single player side. I seem to be crashing less now. Only 1 crash since I patched (I was getting many more before). I also noticed that the Trader seems to carry a more interesting assortment of items now. Lots of various suits for sale. Before, all he ever sold was leather jackets. Plus, prices "feel" different somehow. I also noticed that my armor takes damage now, it didn't before. Major downside is that all saved games are worthless under the new patch. I had to start over from the beginning of the game.

A side note. I love how there is almost always a loner playing guitar by a fire. Standing on the road in the cordon watching wild dogs fight boars in the rain while listening to the quiet sound of a guitar from under the bridge. Now that's atmosphere.

#18 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:15 AM

I took the plunge and got STALKER (if it's an acronym, what does it stand for?) at the weekend. It runs OK but only with static lighting, which makes it look about 6 years old.. which it is! Still fun though, despite the innumerable bugs and everlasting bandits. I seem to have accumulated about a billion roubles and haven't found anything worth buying yet. Nobody has anything to trade apart from a can of meat or a bandage. Hopefully the patch will ballance things. Bummer that I'll have to restart though - I'd just found a decent assault rifle!

Quite nice atmospheric effects... but the sun rises in the west and sets in the west - and it doesn't get particularly dark at night (even with all the shaders) - more like overcast.

SPOILER:

If your suits take damage after the patch (which I thought was odd they didn't before), there's a stalker suit (50% protection) in the initial cordon village, but it's well hidden! ;)
What, Me worry?

#19 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

View PostGloops, on March 27th 2007, 04:15 AM, said:

I took the plunge and got STALKER (if it's an acronym, what does it stand for?) at the weekend.

According to the website for the game it means Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killers, Explorers, and Robbers.

It runs OK but only with static lighting, which makes it look about 6 years old.. which it is! Still fun though, despite the innumerable bugs and everlasting bandits. I seem to have accumulated about a billion roubles and haven't found anything worth buying yet. Nobody has anything to trade apart from a can of meat or a bandage.

I had to run under static as well. Even object only dynamic was just too much for my system.

The quantity of bandits really is amazing. I had a stack of bandit corpses just outside that abandoned truck at the edge of the Cordon. I sat in there with my shotgun and waited for them to go running by.

I've been playing the patched game a lot tonight. I get the impression that some subtle, but important things were changed in the patch. For one, human enemies seem more willing to go out of their way to start fights with each other. I kept failing the mission where you
Spoiler
. It turns out that the military faction had decided to raid the camp where he was sleeping and ended up killing him. I actually had to go back and prevent him from being killed before I could continue the mission. Even the bandits seem more aggressive. A large group of them went and attacked the soldiers at the bridge. I was able to pass right through because just about everyone was dead after the fight.

So far, I haven't seen any individual stalkers with any new goods for trade. Only the trader seems to have a more dynamic and varied selection. I've yet to make it to the bar again, so who knows what I'll find there.

Hopefully the patch will ballance things. Bummer that I'll have to restart though - I'd just found a decent assault rifle!

I suspect there will be more patches. But I'm hoping that they will not require us to delete our saves next time.

As for weapons, I can't wait to find a sniper rifle. I just got a slightly better AK than what you can get at the very start of the game. The increased accuracy is very nice. I still carry around a Viper and a sawed off shotgun though. I mostly use the shotgun for killing wild animals, and the Viper when I run out of ammo for my AK.

Quite nice atmospheric effects... but the sun rises in the west and sets in the west - and it doesn't get particularly dark at night (even with all the shaders) - more like overcast.

I think it might depend on the weather. Some nights it's as bright as day. Other nights, I can barely see anything at all. I still love the flashlight in this game though. Nice to know it's not going to die on me at various and inopportune moments.

SPOILER:

If your suits take damage after the patch (which I thought was odd they didn't before), there's a stalker suit (50% protection) in the initial cordon village, but it's well hidden! ;)

Indeed, such things require a leap of faith. ;)

#20 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:52 AM

View PostNo One, on March 27th 2007, 12:55 PM, said:

According to the website for the game it means Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killers, Explorers, and Robbers.
No wonder they shortened it! :)  

The quantity of bandits really is amazing. I had a stack of bandit corpses just outside that abandoned truck at the edge of the Cordon. I sat in there with my shotgun and waited for them to go running by.
I think that's a bandit spawn point. The first time I went throught the building that loads the garbage level, three bandits spawned in front of my eyes. Fortunately I reacted quicker than they did! I don't know if there's some system where they actually come from the next level, or just continually spawn. The 'A-life' appears to follow a patern/paths. They spawn and head for a point. It's not truly dynamic as far as I can tell.

I think it might depend on the weather. Some nights it's as bright as day. Other nights, I can barely see anything at all.
Maybe I've been spoilt by ArmA, which has the nicest night lighting I've seen in a game - and true day/night cycles in real time (not 6 seconds= 1 minute like S.T.A.L.K.E.R). You can start a mission at 5am find a safe spot to wait, leave your computer running all day and come back 14 hours later, watch the sunst and complete it in the dark (should you feel so inclined)!
What, Me worry?