#21 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on May 18th 2007, 09:50 AM, said:

You know, I really like TORCS. It may not be the prettiest game (though some of the tracks are done very nicely), but the potential in all of the community and the base game looks promising. Too bad I can't get my Momo wheel to work with the game. GLUT recognizes it, but no go within the game. I can map the steering and buttons to mouse and key controls and use it that way, but that sucks. HID explorer vendor and product info is in the file, but nothing.

I like the educational use for engineering also. Cool concept. But it can be so much more.

When I posted, I had just discovered TORCS while searching for some info about getting better FPS with RACER.

I have since installed the TORCS Mac OS X package (v1.2.4) and the game simply refuses to launch on my Powerbook G4 running 10.3.9.

In the TORCS folder, there's only an installation ReadMe and the application... do I need something else (tracks, cars...)?  Can't find any more info specifically pertaining to this game running on a Mac.
No Games but Racing Sims

#22 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

View Postrob_ART, on May 19th 2007, 07:15 AM, said:

I tried Redline again while working on the Xbox 360 vs PS 3 vs Mac racing article. I was able to drive better when I used the mouse for steering and the keyboard for accel/brake. Now I'm ready to try a gamepad since it seems to work well for me on the game consoles.

Which gamepad are you using? And what drivers do you recommend? BTW, I plugged my PS3 gamepad into the Mac Pro. TIR recognized it as a PS3 gamepad, to my surprise, but would not accept input when I tried to configure the controls.

Hi,

I am using a logitech wireless gamepad. The name must be "Super ultra gamepad of death, wireless edition special", or something like that.

I have to add that there are a bunch of new cars and tracks to download for redline. Some, like the Testarossa and Clio are very well done.

View Postmiclar1, on May 19th 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

When I posted, I had just discovered TORCS while searching for some info about getting better FPS with RACER.

I have since installed the TORCS Mac OS X package (v1.2.4) and the game simply refuses to launch on my Powerbook G4 running 10.3.9.

In the TORCS folder, there's only an installation ReadMe and the application... do I need something else (tracks, cars...)?  Can't find any more info specifically pertaining to this game running on a Mac.

That's why i lost all faith into many OSS. They spend too much effort adding every imaginable feature but can't spend a quarter of that time making the feature usable.

#23 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

View Postmiclar1, on May 19th 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

No, it should play. I have had success with 10.3 and now 10.4. Let me ask a weird question... what browser did you download it with? I have had many problems with downloads by FireFox. They download and don't play. They jump a few times in the dock, then nothing. I always have to switch to Safari for some reason. Oh well.

As far as needing anything else, you shouldn't.

The Mac port is good, but getting a gamepad or wheel to actually work with the game is frustrating. It will recognize it, but nothing else. Too bad too, because the game can be pretty good at times. Just not a lot of really good content yet. Some cool car sets have come about, but could be a lot better.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#24 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

View PostiRolley, on May 20th 2007, 01:27 AM, said:

Hi,

I am using a logitech wireless gamepad. The name must be "Super ultra gamepad of death, wireless edition special", or something like that.

I have to add that there are a bunch of new cars and tracks to download for redline. Some, like the Testarossa and Clio are very well done.
That's why i lost all faith into many OSS. They spend too much effort adding every imaginable feature but can't spend a quarter of that time making the feature usable.

I hear that! every single OSS deveoler ant to add features, but noone wants to go bughunting.
And all too often you end up with a "great" game that doesent work.

And also, complaing about something like that on the games' forums get you the reply "well, fix it yourself"

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on May 21st 2007, 11:26 PM, said:

I hear that! every single OSS deveoler ant to add features, but noone wants to go bughunting.
And all too often you end up with a "great" game that doesent work.

And also, complaing about something like that on the games' forums get you the reply "well, fix it yourself"
This and the fact that almost every interesting OpenSource game died in a quarter finished state because the developers either lost interest or hadn't had the time anymore to continue the game. Battle of Wesnoth is the only example of an OSS game, that actually worked out fine.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

Speaking of Mac racing games, whatever happened to the Colin MacRae thread in this section?

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

View Postplacy, on May 22nd 2007, 07:01 AM, said:

Speaking of Mac racing games, whatever happened to the Colin MacRae thread in this section?
It's raw cheer bwah.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

View PostJanichsan, on May 22nd 2007, 01:21 AM, said:

This and the fact that almost every interesting OpenSource game died in a quarter finished state because the developers either lost interest or hadn't had the time anymore to continue the game. Battle of Wesnoth is the only example of an OSS game, that actually worked out fine.

If there is something Apple taught me well is to "define clear objectives, stay focus, do what must to fullfill them". Apple often starts with a very simple product, that fullfills a single goal, and then makes it evolve logically. Take iTunes that started as a VERY BASIC player and where it is today. I often scream at how Apple is "picky" in choosing its new features, but I admit that Apple take good care of integrating these features very smoothly, and well, that what why we are here.

Back on topic... i am playing a lot of Redline lately...

#29 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

View PostJanichsan, on May 22nd 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

Aye, that too.
Or.. if they actually end up making something, then the game is butt ulgy, the story (is there is one ofcourse) is blindheartedly dumb, and alot of stuff that is left in an unfinished state.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#30 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

I have to agree with you guys that most OSS end up very unfinished and neglected soon after their conception. Unfortunately, that is the nature of it. It works well when people back it to the end, but that happens 'very' rarely. But I think that it is still a good practice and that those who have the organizational skills and TIME (something most of us family guys with kids don't have) can make a difference in a project. It can be very frustrating when you get hyped up for a project, maybe even participate in the life cycle of the project, than get crapped on when it falls apart. Everyone walks away and moves on to something 'better'. Man, the more I think about it, the more upset I get.

OK, back to Mac Racing Games..... Can't wait for VGP3!

#31 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

Have any of you played PC racing games on your Mac (a la BootCamp?). Some titles I've tried recently on my Mac Pro include GT Legends, GTR 2, WTCC Racing, and TOCA Race Driver 3.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#32 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

View Postrob_ART, on May 27th 2007, 08:23 AM, said:

Have any of you played PC racing games on your Mac (a la BootCamp?). Some titles I've tried recently on my Mac Pro include GT Legends, GTR 2, WTCC Racing, and TOCA Race Driver 3.

CMR:Dirt demo  :happy:

#33 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

View Postrob_ART, on May 27th 2007, 06:23 AM, said:

I have been jumping between the Mac racing games, PC racing games listed above, the Xbox/Xbox 360 racing games, and the Playstation 2/3 racing games.

I would characterize the PC racing visually more complex and impressive than the Mac and PS2/Xbox but not as visually impressive as Xbox 360/PS3 native racing games.

As for driving dynamics, Redline, VPG2, and Vdrift compare well to all the others. The "cockpit view" is highly developed in most of the PC games listed above and rival the XBox 360 version of Project Gotham Racing but I find that disctracting. I prefer the view with the hood/bonnet showing or the view of nothing ahead but the heads-up display of the Tach and Speedo. Having done a little amateur racing (and often driving like a maniac on curved roads near my home), my focus is on the road ahead, the tach, and gear choice.

The engine sounds of Redline are pathetic. Hearing the unique engine "songs" of cars like the Ferrari Enzo or Dodge Viper is part of the joy.

The racing games to which I gravitate are those that let you choose cars you dream of driving (such as Saleen S7, Porsche Carerra GT, and Ferrari Enzo) and that let you drive on real world tracks (such as Laguna Seca, Nurburgring road course, and Road Atlanta). Consequently, the Xbox 360's Forza and Forza 2 and the Playstation 3's Gran Turismo 4 and HD are the racing games by which I judge all others.

Until and unless there are advances on Mac titles, I think I'll be booting up Windows XP on my Mac Pro (and MacBook Pro) when I want to race so I can take advantage of the quality and variety offered by the likes of TOCA Race Driver 3.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#34 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

View Postmaccer, on May 19th 2007, 07:08 PM, said:

Have you tried the PS3 gamepad in Redline? I use a PS2 gamepad together with a USB adapter. The game becomes much more fun! It can be a pain to set up, however, since the axis setup seems to be triggered for very small movements.

No, but I tried the Logitech® Cordless Rumblepad™ 2 with various Mac (and PC) games. It certain makes steering easier than the keyboard but not any better than the mouse.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#35 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

View Postmiclar1, on March 30th 2007, 08:36 PM, said:

VDrift

This game is a cross-platform, open source driving simulation in the early stages of development but announced to be already playable with 19 tracks and 28 cars available to date.

http://vdrift.net/

I did download and try it. The driving dynamics were good and the Laguna Seca course was faithfully rendered, though without much landscaping on the edge of the track. The second time I played it, I started getting screen errors (larege polygons in the sky). And the sound went away twice. I hope they continue to develop it.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#36 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Redline is starting to grow on me -- especially after adding some plugins. I downloaded the Laguna Seca track from Ambrosia's site. Then downloaded the 1935 Alfa Romeo Tipo C. What a hoot driving that around Laguna Seca!

Being a great fan of the original Mini, I also enjoyed racing with two other 1964 Mk 1 Morris Mini Cooper 1275 Specials around the same track. (My daily driver is a 2006 MINI Cooper S JCW.)

The car engine sounds are the weakest point of Redline, though some creators of plugin cars have come close to simulating the real world "song."

The strongest point of Redline is that it's Universal Binary and runs very smoothly on my MacBook Pro. I'm picky about what I store in the internal 100GB drive but Redline is now on the essential list when I go on the road.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#37 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

I picked up a copy of Forza 2 Motorsport for the Xbox 360 last Thursday at Frys Electronics. "Game over, man." This is the best racing game I've ever used.

I love my Macs and love to hate Microsoft, but any company that can produce a racing gem like Forza 2 can't be all bad.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#38 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

View Postmiclar1, on May 19th 2007, 06:31 PM, said:

I've installed the TORCS Mac OS X package (v1.2.4) and the game simply refuses to launch on my Powerbook G4 running 10.3.9.

View PostJaguarGod, on May 19th 2007, 07:52 PM, said:

TORCS should play. I have had success with 10.3 and now 10.4. Let me ask a weird question... what browser did you download it with? I have had many problems with downloads by FireFox. They download and don't play. They jump a few times in the dock, then nothing. I always have to switch to Safari for some reason. Oh well.
As far as needing anything else, you shouldn't.

The Mac port is good, but getting a gamepad or wheel to actually work with the game is frustrating. It will recognize it, but nothing else. Too bad too, because the game can be pretty good at times. Just not a lot of really good content yet. Some cool car sets have come about, but could be a lot better.

I was using Safari for that D/L and after what immediately followed I no longer whished to try TORCS again... I had a repeat of the defective driver induced crash from my Macally iShock II gamepad.

==============
This notice from Macally's site:
Attention: iShock/iShockII users and Panther OS 10.3.8 update
Recent OS 10.3.8 release causes conflict with Macally iShock OS X driver.
The first symptom is that system.log file grows quickly in size due to ongoing generation of error log related to iShockXDriver, it will fill up the whole hard drive space if not stopped in time.The second symptom is CPU usage by iShockXDriver process can reach as high as 90% for single processor, or up to 120% for dual processor, therefore the system gets very slow.
=============

This time, my HD startup partition crash occured almost immediately after downloading TORCS, although I was using Panther 10.3.9 and the latest 1.0.4 iShock driver, and had been using my gamepad for months with MacMame without any problem... Something in the TORCS install ???

I didn't catch it until the startup partition was completely full, and decided to do an "erase and install" of Tiger 10.4.9. To make matters worse, like an idiot, I inadvertently did that on my backup partition and lost a lot of valuable data.
No Games but Racing Sims

#39 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:30 AM

View Postmiclar1, on June 3rd 2007, 08:12 AM, said:

I was using Safari for that D/L and after what immediately followed I no longer whished to try TORCS again... I had a repeat of the defective driver induced crash from my Macally iShock II gamepad.

==============
This notice from Macally's site:
Attention: iShock/iShockII users and Panther OS 10.3.8 update
Recent OS 10.3.8 release causes conflict with Macally iShock OS X driver.
The first symptom is that system.log file grows quickly in size due to ongoing generation of error log related to iShockXDriver, it will fill up the whole hard drive space if not stopped in time.The second symptom is CPU usage by iShockXDriver process can reach as high as 90% for single processor, or up to 120% for dual processor, therefore the system gets very slow.
=============

This time, my HD startup partition crash occured almost immediately after downloading TORCS, although I was using Panther 10.3.9 and the latest 1.0.4 iShock driver, and had been using my gamepad for months with MacMame without any problem... Something in the TORCS install ???

I didn't catch it until the startup partition was completely full, and decided to do an "erase and install" of Tiger 10.4.9. To make matters worse, like an idiot, I inadvertently did that on my backup partition and lost a lot of valuable data.
That sucks! Sorry to hear it.