38 replies to this topic

#1 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Here are a few Racing games for the Mac OSX that are pretty good.

1. Virtual Grand Prix 2 (VGP2 Forum)
2. Rally Shift (Website)
3. Redline (Website)
4. F1 Championship Season 2000 (Website)
5. Total Immersion Racing (Website)
6. Ford Racing 2 (Website)
7. Colin Mcrae Rally Mac (Website)
8. Nascar 2003 (Apple Preview / Review)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#2 Steephill

Steephill

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

9. MTX: Mototrax Apple review

10. 4x4 EVO 2 Apple review

11. Nascar 2002 Apple review

#3 linkc

linkc

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi, Where can I buy Nascar Racing 2003?

#4 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

For a complete listing with links to all available free mods, tracks, carsets, etc., for Nascar Racing 2003:
http://www.nr2k3tracks.com/
No Games but Racing Sims

#5 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

VDrift

This game is a cross-platform, open source driving simulation in the early stages of development but announced to be already playable with 19 tracks and 28 cars available to date.

http://vdrift.net/
No Games but Racing Sims

#6 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting the list of Mac auto racing games.

I'm a big fan of virtual auto racing and have tried various Mac examples. I'm working on an article whose premise is that when it comes to auto racing, the Mac can't compete with the premiere game consoles like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. You might say "duh," but I wish the Mac racing games were better. I think they could be. After all, the most recent updates are dated 2004 or older.

Of the Mac racing games, I've had the most fun with 4x4 Evolution 2. My nephews and nieces look forward to coming to my lab and participating in a 4 player "shootout" over our local network. Motor Storm on the PS3 reminds me of 4X4 Evo. M.S. has much better graphics and parts fly off your car when you collide with other vehicles or the big boulders. And if you hold the boost button (nitro?) too long, your engine overheats and then blows. On the downside, it doesn't seem to be multiplayer locally. You have to go on the net to compete with other players.

Just today I tried Formula 1: Championship Edition on the Playstation 3. What a gas, gas, gas. The arcade mode is a great way to learn it and what a hoot to mix it up with Montoya and Schumacher. Much better graphics than Mac versions of open wheel racing I've tried.

I'm particularly impressed with Forza Motorsport and Project Gotham Racing on the Xbox 360. Great selection of cars. Great tracks. Great graphics. Though Forza is an Xbox game, the Xbox 360 version is coming next month. I suppose Ford Racing 2 on the Mac deserves another look even though it's pretty much a Ford commercial.

I'm looking forward to trying Colin McRae Rally on the Mac. I hope it's better than Rally Shift and as good as Colin McRae Rally 3 on the Xbox.

I'd like to hear your opinions, especially if you have experience on the Xbox or PS3 as well as the Mac.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#7 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:25 AM

Rob,
have you tried Redline ? It is the lastest racing game released on mac. It does the job fine, the multiplayer aspect is great, the AI is painful and performance is fine.

One thing that irritates me with Mac racing games is that you usually can't navigate the menus using the gamepad or racing wheel. Most games force you to use the mouse and keyboard to setup the race, and then switch to a gamepad while racing.

My favorites where F1:CS, rally shift and TIR.

#8 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 21st 2007, 08:25 AM, said:

Rob,
have you tried Redline ? It is the lastest racing game released on mac. It does the job fine, the multiplayer aspect is great, the AI is painful and performance is fine.

My favorites where F1:CS, rally shift and TIR.

Yes. I tried Redline. Still crude graphics by Xbox 360 / PS3 standards.

Of the three you mentioned, I like TIR the best. For beginners, the driving assists are very helpful to make if fun from the getgo. I wish they would upgrade it to UB and add more tracks like Laguna Seca (with elevation changes).

I'm still in the process of jumping back and forth between Mac racing and Xbox 360/ PS3 racing to fully understand the differences before I shoot my mouth off in an article.

Thanks for your input.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#9 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

Don't forget the Burnout series. I love those games. And none of them will ever come to Mac, that's for sure.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#10 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

View Postrob_ART, on April 23rd 2007, 08:32 AM, said:

I'm still in the process of jumping back and forth between Mac racing and Xbox 360/ PS3 racing to fully understand the differences before I shoot my mouth off in an article.

Well if you write an article on Mac Gaming, you have to notice that THERE IS A MALEDICTION. Need For speed almost made it, and now it's been months since we are waiting for Colin Mc Rae Rally... Clearly someone up there doesn't want Mac user to play racing games. Feral was the last to stand up against the spreading malediction...

Otherwise there are these open source games like Racer and VDrift but they take so long to set up, that I almost give up because starting the engine...

#11 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:54 AM

View Postrob_ART, on April 21st 2007, 08:32 AM, said:

...I'm looking forward to trying Colin McRae Rally on the Mac. I hope it's better than Rally Shift and as good as Colin McRae Rally 3 on the Xbox....
Colin MacRae Mac will be better than any other Mac rally game out there. I tried RallyShift and got bored quickly because I am used to a game of CMR standard. Same thing with Redline, even though the multiplayer can be fun at times. I would say that if you think Colin McRae 3 is good, you will be positively surprised by CMR 2005/Mac.

I first played CMR 2 on the PC one of the best games in the series this far, still enjoying to play! Then I bought CMR 3 for my PS2 and got totally disappointed. In CMR 2, you were told your current position compared to the other drivers at each checkpoint. In CMR you only got to know it after each stage, if I recall. That made the driving so much more boring even though it might be more realistic. There were other things that were worse compared to CMR2 as well, but i can't remember them any longer. I think some of them had to do with the car repairs.

I bought CMR 2004 when it was released, and it was everything CMR3 should have been. CMR 2005/Mac is from everything I have heard an improved version of CMR 2004, so it should be the best Mac racing game of all time. But I am still worried that CMR Dirt will be released before CMR Mac I don't like the thought of paying full price for a game that is more than two years old, especially if it isn't the most recent version.

#12 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

My homework on game console racing versus Mac racing continues.

I'm supposed to get an early look at Colin McRae for the Mac which I plan to compare in "look and feel" to the Playstation 2 version of Colin McRae Rally (runnning on the PS3).

I also ordered 4x4 Evo 2 for Xbox to compare to 4x4 Evo 2 for Mac.

Ditto for Total Immersion Racing for PS2 vs TIR for Mac.

As for comparing the Xbox 360 to the Playstation 3, IMHO, the Xbox has the edge in auto racing games with PGR and Forza 2 (the free DEMO is out; full version ships end of May). However, if my grandson was voting, he'd say PS3 has the edge with MotorStorm and Full Auto 2.

Three upcoming racing games that run on both game consoles are:
DiRT, Sega Rally Revo, and Nascar 2008
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#13 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:37 AM

depending on the system youre running, the look will be the same or better...
of course, the feel all depends on how your pad is set up, and which pad youre trying to play the game with...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#14 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

Doesn't seem odd that advanced shooters like Quake 4 are available for both Mac and the Xbox 360 while state-of-the-art racing games like Project Gotham Racing and Forza 2 Motorsport are not even being ported to the Mac (or PC)?

I asked one game developer about that. The response was,
"It's not really a technical issue, it is more market-driven.  Racing games seem to do much better on consoles than the PC & Mac.  The stores don't tend to want to stock racing games except on the consoles, which makes it difficult to bring one of the more high-end brands over.  

Also a lot of the racing games (PGR, Motorstorm, GT) are exclusive to their console and developed by 1st party developers (, therefore porting is resisted so folks will buy their console)."

That makes sense. Microsoft wants market share with the Xbox 360 so PGR and Forza 2 are only available for it. Sony wants marketshare for the PS3 so MotorStorm and Gran Turismo HD are only available for it.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#15 miclar1

miclar1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

TORCS

Another open source, multi-platform, car racing simulation.

http://torcs.sf.net
No Games but Racing Sims

#16 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

View Postrob_ART, on May 17th 2007, 06:39 PM, said:

That makes sense. Microsoft wants market share with the Xbox 360 so PGR and Forza 2 are only available for it. Sony wants marketshare for the PS3 so MotorStorm and Gran Turismo HD are only available for it.
That makes sense ?
yes & no   :blink:

yes because if someone really wants to play a title will buy the console if he/she doesn't have it already: buy 1 console for 1 game

no because all people who don't have the console and don't want to buy it will not buy the game title: some of them might have bought it if it was ported

people who have the console which plays the game title might or might not buy it

bottom line is what you get on one hand you lose it on the other: balance between proprietary and popular

just remember that console makers sell games: consoles are empty-  computers are not empty when you buy it: the companies making them do not expect earnings with software

if all people buy 1 console for just 1 game (the-super-game-they-ever-dreamed) this is not going to work for console makers  :glare:

#17 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

View Postmiclar1, on May 17th 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

TORCS

Another open source, multi-platform, car racing simulation.

http://torcs.sf.net
You know, I really like TORCS. It may not be the prettiest game (though some of the tracks are done very nicely), but the potential in all of the community and the base game looks promising. Too bad I can't get my Momo wheel to work with the game. GLUT recognizes it, but no go within the game. I can map the steering and buttons to mouse and key controls and use it that way, but that sucks. HID explorer vendor and product info is in the file, but nothing.

I like the educational use for engineering also. Cool concept. But it can be so much more.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#18 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 21st 2007, 08:25 AM, said:

Rob,

One thing that irritates me with Mac racing games is that you usually can't navigate the menus using the gamepad or racing wheel. Most games force you to use the mouse and keyboard to setup the race, and then switch to a gamepad while racing.

I tried Redline again while working on the Xbox 360 vs PS 3 vs Mac racing article. I was able to drive better when I used the mouse for steering and the keyboard for accel/brake. Now I'm ready to try a gamepad since it seems to work well for me on the game consoles.

Which gamepad are you using? And what drivers do you recommend? BTW, I plugged my PS3 gamepad into the Mac Pro. TIR recognized it as a PS3 gamepad, to my surprise, but would not accept input when I tried to configure the controls.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#19 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:19 AM

I rented Total Immersion Racing for the PS2 and 4x4 Evo 2 for the Xbox. They are identical to the Mac versions, to my surprise -- which speaks well of those developers who brought them to the Mac.

Since Microsoft has a stranglehold on PGR3 and Forza2 (Xbox 360 only) and Sony has a stranglehold on Gran Turismo HD (PS3 Only), the hope for improving the breed of racing on the Mac is for companies like Aspyr and Feral Interactive to negotiate with companies like Codemasters, the creator of DiRT and TOCA Race Driver -- which run on both the Xbox and Playstation.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#20 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

View Postrob_ART, on May 19th 2007, 03:15 PM, said:

I tried Redline again while working on the Xbox 360 vs PS 3 vs Mac racing article. I was able to drive better when I used the mouse for steering and the keyboard for accel/brake. Now I'm ready to try a gamepad since it seems to work well for me on the game consoles.

Which gamepad are you using? And what drivers do you recommend? BTW, I plugged my PS3 gamepad into the Mac Pro. TIR recognized it as a PS3 gamepad, to my surprise, but would not accept input when I tried to configure the controls.

Have you tried the PS3 gamepad in Redline? I use a PS2 gamepad together with a USB adapter. The game becomes much more fun! It can be a pain to set up, however, since the axis setup seems to be triggered for very small movements.