6 replies to this topic

#1 shrakner

shrakner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

I just got a MBP (C2D, refurb) and found that sixtyforce now runs beautifully (4x antialiasing on N64 games)!  And yes, I actually paid to register it.  Now I'm looking at using an actual N64 controller or two with it using one of the USB N64 adapters (there's a ton on eBay).  Has anyone tried this, and how well do those adapters work?

I've started looking at other controller options, and although it is possible to configure a PS2-style controller as a passable N64 controller, some games like StarFox would play much better with an actual controller.  Is there another USB-native controller that works well as a sixtyforce controller?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Yes. I got mine from Lik-Sang, for about $10 each. They're USB HID controllers, so everything works except maybe not rumble and almost certainly not the memory card slot. Games like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are better with keyboard and mouse, though.

#3 shrakner

shrakner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:40 AM

Unfortunately, Lik-Sang's out of buisness.  Do you think any of the other adapters, like the ones on eBay, would work?  They claim to not need drivers on any of the newer Windows OS's, so the Mac probably wouldn't need them either... probably.

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

View Postshrakner, on March 10th 2007, 01:40 AM, said:

Unfortunately, Lik-Sang's out of buisness.

Sony is both evil and stupid? No kidding. Anyways, searching for 'n64 usb adapter' brings up N64/PSX ones that look exactly like the one I got from Lik-Sang, but I can't tell you who's reputable and if they are indeed the same model.

#5 shrakner

shrakner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

View Postbobbob, on March 10th 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

searching for 'n64 usb adapter' brings up N64/PSX ones that look exactly like the one I got from Lik-Sang, but I can't tell you who's reputable and if they are indeed the same model.

Fair enough.  One other question- did you ever try using two controllers + adapters?  I ask because I really want the controllers for multiplayer, and I don't know if sixtyforce will correctly distinguish between two identical controllers.

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Yes, I've got a couple and I've been looking at getting a couple more. The emulator has to support multiple controllers, and it works well. Keyboard + mouse and a controller works for games like Goldeneye, too. It might be possible to use multiple mice+keyboards, or at least mice+controllers, but whatever.

#7 shrakner

shrakner

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for all your help, bobbob.  I'll start shopping around, see what the best price I can get is.