75 replies to this topic

#61 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hehe I'm with you on the learning curve point! I've found a couple of postings on the egosoft site which look interesting: -

http://forum.egosoft...pic.php?t=96108

http://forum.egosoft...ic.php?t=100641

If first impressions are anything to go by it does look like a great game though :)

#62 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 24th 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

What it really needs is a fold-out keyboard shortcut thingy.  If you haven't played X2: The Threat, you're in for a nearly vertical learning curve that lasts about six hours.

If you get some time, how about help build this thread?

link
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#63 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

The ridiculous learning curve is what has kept me from playing this game very much. It is a fun game, runs good on my MBP but I would only recommend it to some one who has several hours to set aside just to learn the keyboard commands to the game so that they could then start playing.
Maybe I have become spoiled with modern games where the first level is more walkthrough of the controls and less gameplay. I thought the tutorial was going to accomplish this, but as it turns out, the combat tutorial was nigh useless. Gameplay up to this point was play, pause, flip through printed off manual for a few minutes, play for a a bit, pause, flip through the printed manual for awhile, and so on. Still a nice game, but not something that has me waiting with baited breath to play it. When I commit the time to it, I am fairly confident that I will like it much more.

#64 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

View Postdojoboy, on June 24th 2007, 03:30 PM, said:

If you get some time, how about help build this thread?

link

I can't go there without registering.  What is it?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#65 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on June 24th 2007, 08:18 PM, said:

I can't go there without registering.  What is it?

It's a thread for tips, etc. at VP's X3 forum.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#66 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

I just loaded a saved game and about 30 seconds in, the ship computer goes "warning x3 exe file being manipulated, commenceing termination." and then the game quit to desktop. Anyone seen this b4 or is this something in game with the actual ship im in as part of the game.

#67 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:40 AM

View Postijedi42, on June 29th 2007, 07:19 AM, said:

I just loaded a saved game and about 30 seconds in, the ship computer goes "warning x3 exe file being manipulated, commenceing termination." and then the game quit to desktop. Anyone seen this b4 or is this something in game with the actual ship im in as part of the game.

It can happen right after undocking every now and then on any ship.

#68 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

View Postelderbre, on June 29th 2007, 03:40 AM, said:

It can happen right after undocking every now and then on any ship.
alright cool

#69 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

Just a question, i assume you should be able to dock with things like missle crates and derelict ships. I have not been able to find the controls or method of doing this in the game manual. How do you go about doing this with the default settings if anyone could enlighten me:) thanks in advance.

#70 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

For crates, just hit "o" to open your cargo bay, and just fly right through them. Keep in mind that when the cargo bay is open, you have no shields, so any collisions/weapons fire goes right to the hull.

To take derelict ships, you need to eject from your current ship, and fly in your space suit within 40 meters, target the ship, and hit "i". There will be a command to claim the ship.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#71 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on June 29th 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

For crates, just hit "o" to open your cargo bay, and just fly right through them. Keep in mind that when the cargo bay is open, you have no shields, so any collisions/weapons fire goes right to the hull.

To take derelict ships, you need to eject from your current ship, and fly in your space suit within 40 meters, target the ship, and hit "i". There will be a command to claim the ship.
ahhhh thank you so much! i was worried if I opened the cargo bay things would float out.

#72 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

No problem.

X3 has been one of the best games I've played in a while. I went from not playing games to putting in way more time than I care to admit.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#73 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

View Postijedi42, on June 29th 2007, 07:19 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed that, but since saturday, there's a patch for X3 available. It also adresses this problem. The download is allegedly only for the boxed version, though.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#74 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

View PostJanichsan, on July 30th 2007, 12:15 PM, said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed that, but since saturday, there's a patch for X3 available. It also adresses this problem. The download is allegedly only for the boxed version, though.

For digital dl copies bought through Deliver2Mac, the update can be found here at D2Ms site. D2M>X>Downloads (I think).

#75 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:10 AM

Hmm so I bought the digital download from Mac Game Store and I don't get a patch !? O.O

#76 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:59 AM

i believe that digital downloads from MGS are the same as all other digital downloads except for the deliver2mac ones... so just get the main patch from VP.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor