#21 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:42 PM

View Postrampancy, on May 22nd 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

I'm somewhat skeptical...I've read about major bugginess with the latest HOMM game, which uses Cider.

Yes, HoMM V is buggy as hell. Yet I don't get why people insist it is due to Cider. It is mainly due to the Windows version having craptastic code, in the first place.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#22 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

Yeah my biggest fear is that its just going to be buggy and wont run well.  Though I havent had any problems with HoMM V, i know alot of other people have, and I do truly enjoy X3 on the windows side, one of the few games i play often on it so maybe i will give this a try.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#23 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Bought and downloading. Whoa, a 3gb download? That's gonna take awhile.

#24 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

View PostRev-O, on May 22nd 2007, 05:30 PM, said:

Bought and downloading. Whoa, a 3gb download? That's gonna take awhile.

haha yep same here...me and my nasty impuls buying habbit =p.

Anyways once it is downloaded I will post a update with how well it runs on my rig.

~Update~  Well after the lengthy download, I am finally able to play.  The game runs decently on my macbook pro, though it gets a bit choppy which is wierd because in windows the game runs perfectly with settings on high.  I will continue to mess with the settings and see if i can improve performance.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#25 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

View PostHoffer802, on May 22nd 2007, 09:15 PM, said:

The game runs decently on my macbook pro, though it gets a bit choppy which is wierd because in windows the game runs perfectly with settings on high.

Why is that weird?  Most ports are lucky to achieve 80% of the performance in Mac OS X that they saw in Windows.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#26 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

Cant get past the cinematic after the space fleet battle where you arrest Ion.. always freezes at the phrase "You're making a big mistake, Noah.."

*Sigh* Hope it's just me, or I'm gonna have to ask if they even have testers for these games before throwing them out.

Edit: Well, got through it by spamming ESC.. Guess I'll read in a walkthrough or guide what I missed.

#27 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Elderbre, can I get your system specs and a savegame, if you have it?  I'd like to verify that bug for myself, and if I can reproduce it, I'll bring it to the attention of the people who can fix it.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#28 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 25th 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

Elderbre, can I get your system specs and a savegame, if you have it?  I'd like to verify that bug for myself, and if I can reproduce it, I'll bring it to the attention of the people who can fix it.

Give me a minute to get the saved game, I guess I still have the auto save from there. You basically go tot he Cooms in the base you're docked at and talk to Noah, and he'll start the mission. Just survive or blow up some enemies and the rest of the fleet will bring the big ship to 0 shields, then the cutscenes begin.

Specs are.. Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Dual-Core Xeons, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 1900XT which is holding a 19" Flatron and a 30" Dell. OSX 10.4.9

Usually play on 2x AA and 4x anisotropic texture filtering, shader and texture quality at high, ship colour variations ON and more dynamic light sources ON.

To be able to pass the cutscene via ESC spamming I reduced the settings to 1600x1000, all graphic settings to minimum and was on Windowed Mode (went to the preferences config file and changed Fullscreen to 0).

--

Since you're on it, also give a report on an error that happens when you undock and move right away, the "onboard" ship computer gives a warning that X3 executable files ahve been modified and exits the game, it's minor because you can just load the game again since it just autosaved on the station you docked at, but still a bit annoying.

--

I believe this is the right save. And the screenshot is where it freezes (which reminds me, don't think the in-game screenshot taking feature works, this was taken with the good old cmd-shft-3).

http://valor-guild.com/X3/X21.sav

Posted Image

#29 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

View Postelderbre, on May 25th 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

Specs are.. Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz Dual-Core Xeons, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 1900XT which is holding a 19" Flatron and a 30" Dell. OSX 10.4.9

Usually play on 2x AA and 4x anisotropic texture filtering, shader and texture quality at high, ship colour variations ON and more dynamic light sources ON.

To be able to pass the cutscene via ESC spamming I reduced the settings to 1600x1000, all graphic settings to minimum and was on Windowed Mode (went to the preferences config file and changed Fullscreen to 0).
You little braggard...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#30 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

anyone else have any experience to report?

#31 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

View Postfabforrest, on May 26th 2007, 04:06 AM, said:

anyone else have any experience to report?

Finished the main campaign, and other than that nasty bug, the game runs fine, with a random crash every now and then (not many, but every now and then it can happen).

Pretty fun so far, and I surely liked the plot a lot more than the ones on several other games coming out these days. Could be better though!

Bit hard to get into if you don't know the series, I'm lucky I remembered how to play from X2, or I'd be totally lost. Not even a tutorial, but that's not the fault of the port.

#32 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:48 PM

Yeah it is a deep game.  I love it, great alternative to some of the other games if you want to escape reality for a little while, i find it all very immersive, though I do wish there were cockpits for each of the space craft.

Other than that I have it running very smooth on my 2.33ghz MBP so if your hesitant about running it and you are on a MBP, it does run fine once you tweak the settings a bit.

#33 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

View PostHoffer802, on May 26th 2007, 06:48 AM, said:

Other than that I have it running very smooth on my 2.33ghz MBP so if your hesitant about running it and you are on a MBP, it does run fine once you tweak the settings a bit.

Glad to hear the performance is good. Looking forward to the release of the boxed version.

#34 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

View PostSargiel, on May 26th 2007, 07:49 AM, said:

Glad to hear the performance is good. Looking forward to the release of the boxed version.

Are there actually plans for a boxed version?  I would suspect this will be a download-only release...

#35 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

View Postplacy, on May 26th 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

I would suspect this will be a download-only release...

Nope.  (Second sentence.)

--Eric

#36 -=SHODAN=-

-=SHODAN=-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:34 AM

Just wondering what version is the mac port? Hopefully not 1.0!

#37 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

Normally I adjust sound settings (given the choice) music way down and leave effects and voice high. Using Options>Sound from the main menu ingame I seem unable to adjust the sound settings down. Sure, I can adjust everything (Voice, Music, Effects) up to 100% but I cannot adjust down. And as a bonus, now that I've adjusted everything up, of course all three remain at 100%. Bah. Will investigate further.
17" 2.33 C2D MBP 3gb ram running 10.4.9

#38 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

View PostRev-O, on May 27th 2007, 05:43 PM, said:

Normally I adjust sound settings (given the choice) music way down and leave effects and voice high. Using Options>Sound from the main menu ingame I seem unable to adjust the sound settings down. Sure, I can adjust everything (Voice, Music, Effects) up to 100% but I cannot adjust down. And as a bonus, now that I've adjusted everything up, of course all three remain at 100%. Bah. Will investigate further.
17" 2.33 C2D MBP 3gb ram running 10.4.9

Works fine here.. use same settings. I just reduced music to 0% and hit enter so it'd save.

Version is 2.02, latest I believe.

#39 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

After playing the game a smidge I will clarify: from the initial game menu I cannot adjust the volume down. I'm talking about the set of menus you use to select new game, options, training missions, etc. While actually playing a mission I can adjust volume down. Odd. Not a crippling issue, but just kind of strange.

#40 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:35 AM

View Postelderbre, on May 27th 2007, 10:15 PM, said:

Version is 2.02, latest I believe.

I had a check on the Egosoft site and 2.02 is definitely the latest. I think that's usual for ports - I'm sure HOMM shipped with what was the latest version. While I was there I also had a look at the version 2.0 trailer - I want that station  :lol: