Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:45 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 20th 2007, 11:39 PM, said:

does it seem to be more geared for the casual gamers? or more like FFXI where you must give up your life for it...cause im not down with that lol

LOTRO's starter area is definitely casual but to be fair so was WoW's. I can't speak for beyond that. As someone who has gotten his hands dirty with MMOs from the pure mechanics of quest execution I won't say that LOTRO is any worse than WoW. After all the WoW Elf starter quests are:

*Kill some panthers
*Kill some spiders
*Find the missing person
*Kill some grells
*Find ingredients to heal sick person
*Gather a spider egg
*Please deliver this water to so-and-so in the next town

The usual fantasy based MMO fare or direct WoW imitation?  Anyway I'm not trying to put down LOTRO's quests cause LOTRO's list has the exact same flavor as WoW's and Vanguard's. The enjoyment of this game centers on combat dynamics, but it is grinding just like the others. Been-there-done-that is the prevailing feeling I'm getting plus I get no special feelings from the game. If it has something that I would recommend, the classes, attacks, and environment are new/different and each starter area has an instance that pushes the story along and in the human starter area, the instance permanently  transforms the landscape. Possibly there are instances scattered throughout the game at the start or end of each zone. But overall it is mostly a static environment.

I am now in the search for something new in MMO's. I know there is Eve, and I played Planetside (which is a team based combat MMO) but I'm hoping that the near- future fantasy based MMOs like Age of Conan will come up with something new and not just be Wow imitators.

#42 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

I guess you could call alot of these new MMORPG's copies of WoW...but in reality is WoW realy that unique from some of its predecesors?  In all honesty my first experience was Everquest Online Adventures for ps2 (which will always hold a place in my heart lol, and btw realy is nothing like the PC version i think...at least its far different from the mac version of EQ), and this game had tons of quests, and though not as XP driven as WoW quests, they did offer all the items you needed.  Granted there was far more grinding in EQOA, but I still see some similarities to it...actually to be honest...if sony went back and simply revamped the graphics of EQOA, and found a way to draw the thousands of users from WoW onto it...i think it would be the perfect mmorpg out there but that is just me...unfortunatly I think all the mmorpgs that i have played have fallen short to this game (it set the standards in my mmorpg life =p)...I know that because it was my first i might be a bit biased towards it....but I loved that game and would gladly go back to it if i had the chance and I am still looking for a game that can create the same fond memories as EQOA.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#43 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 21st 2007, 10:17 PM, said:

I guess you could call alot of these new MMORPG's copies of WoW...but in reality is WoW realy that unique from some of its predecesors?  In all honesty my first experience was Everquest Online Adventures for ps2 (which will always hold a place in my heart lol, and btw realy is nothing like the PC version i think...at least its far different from the mac version of EQ), and this game had tons of quests, and though not as XP driven as WoW quests, they did offer all the items you needed.  Granted there was far more grinding in EQOA, but I still see some similarities to it...actually to be honest...if sony went back and simply revamped the graphics of EQOA, and found a way to draw the thousands of users from WoW onto it...i think it would be the perfect mmorpg out there but that is just me...unfortunatly I think all the mmorpgs that i have played have fallen short to this game (it set the standards in my mmorpg life =p)...I know that because it was my first i might be a bit biased towards it....but I loved that game and would gladly go back to it if i had the chance and I am still looking for a game that can create the same fond memories as EQOA.

Would anyone be surprised if it became known that Blizzard used Everquest as their starting point? (not saying it's so, but I'd be willing to bet.) :D

#44 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 21st 2007, 07:23 PM, said:

Would anyone be surprised if it became known that Blizzard used Everquest as their starting point? (not saying it's so, but I'd be willing to bet.) :D

I think they'd have been crazy not to.  For most of the pre-release development of WoW, wasn't EQ the gold standard for successful MMO's?  Just as the LotRO and AoC developers look at what WoW got right and wrong, Blizzard must have looked at EQ for the same kind of info.

#45 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:14 AM

View Postjohnwillo, on March 22nd 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

I think they'd have been crazy not to.  For most of the pre-release development of WoW, wasn't EQ the gold standard for successful MMO's?  Just as the LotRO and AoC developers look at what WoW got right and wrong, Blizzard must have looked at EQ for the same kind of info.

It was the gold standard but I don't think it ever got over a couple hundred thousand subscribers.

I remember when WoW and EQ2 were both coming out at about the same time. I was really leaning towards EQ2 due to the screenshots, outstanding character models and environments. In contrast WoW looked a little cartoony and the trailers that they released were pretty bad quality. But it was on the Mac, and I got into the beta, and that was all she wrote...

Later I did give EQ2 Trial of the Isle a shot with a WoW friend and we both thought there was no real competition here.

#46 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 23rd 2007, 07:14 AM, said:

It was the gold standard but I don't think it ever got over a couple hundred thousand subscribers.

I remember when WoW and EQ2 were both coming out at about the same time. I was really leaning towards EQ2 due to the screenshots, outstanding character models and environments. In contrast WoW looked a little cartoony and the trailers that they released were pretty bad quality. But it was on the Mac, and I got into the beta, and that was all she wrote...

Later I did give EQ2 Trial of the Isle a shot with a WoW friend and we both thought there was no real competition here.

Yeah...i can play EQ2 for about 5 minutes at a time before my MBP crashes (whole problem with the core 2 duo chip) but from what I did see, never realy seemed to grab me that much.  My only complaint with WoW is that there are so few classes.  I miss the day of EQOA and its insane amount of options.  Plus the ability to not edit character stats also gets to me.  I know the talent system lets you customize your character some, but no where near what you could do if your stat could be changed.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 23rd 2007, 08:59 AM, said:

Yeah...i can play EQ2 for about 5 minutes at a time before my MBP crashes (whole problem with the core 2 duo chip) but from what I did see, never realy seemed to grab me that much.  My only complaint with WoW is that there are so few classes.  I miss the day of EQOA and its insane amount of options.  Plus the ability to not edit character stats also gets to me.  I know the talent system lets you customize your character some, but no where near what you could do if your stat could be changed.

WoW has 9 classes last time I checked. How many would you like to see? I'm not familiar with editing character stats. Are you talking about changing talents, which you can do in WoW for a price.

#48 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 23rd 2007, 09:49 AM, said:

WoW has 9 classes last time I checked. How many would you like to see? I'm not familiar with editing character stats. Are you talking about changing talents, which you can do in WoW for a price.

Yeah but the classes are so so.  I loved how in EQOA you could be a paladin...or a dark knight...or a ranger...or a bard...magician...wizzard...ranger...warrior....necromancer...ummmm tons more.  THough not necesarily as unique or different it was still cool to be able to call yourself a dark knight.  As for stats, in EQOA you got points which you could actually put into each stat (strength, dex, sta) and so on.  It also had a realy cool system that was similar to the talents which allowed you to gain special spells and even change your class, at the higher levels.  So instead of being a druid, you could chose a path that would turn you into say a Naturewalker (just made that one up).  This allowed for an insane amount of customization, and literally made no two characters alike since you could customize yoru class so much...say for example you could turn a druid into either a healer or a DD...if you ever get the chance to play EQOA on a ps2 i would recomend checking it out...graphics are outdated and the servers are pretty vacant but...the world was large and lots of stuff goign on...You could be running from one major city to another...wander off the beaten path...and out in the middle of some forest you would come across some small village.  Thats what I loved most about EQOA was the actual world...no other game has created such a vibrant world with so much to explore, and you never new what you would find.

#49 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

On a LotR note....can you explore moria? Because that would be awsome...

I noticed i put ranger in the above reply twice....didn't catch it untill it was too late to edit...oops!

#50 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 24th 2007, 11:22 AM, said:

On a LotR note....can you explore moria? Because that would be awsome...

That's what Balin thought.  :lol: No, the game is limited in its initial phase to the NW portion of Middle Earth.  The area where the Witch King's realm of Angmar used to exist, plus periphery.  I believe that it is basically the Ered Luin and Gray Havens east to the Misty Mountains by Rivendell, but I've never been east of the Shire.  I'm sure that if the game does even reasonably well, new content areas will be added.  I'd love to see Moria, but it would have to be HUGE to really live up to my expectations.  Twenty tunnels and fifteen rooms won't cut it.  And I don't think ANY player character ought to be able to stand up to Durin's Bane.

#51 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

View Postjohnwillo, on March 25th 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

That's what Balin thought.  :lol: No, the game is limited in its initial phase to the NW portion of Middle Earth.  The area where the Witch King's realm of Angmar used to exist, plus periphery.  I believe that it is basically the Ered Luin and Gray Havens east to the Misty Mountains by Rivendell, but I've never been east of the Shire.  I'm sure that if the game does even reasonably well, new content areas will be added.  I'd love to see Moria, but it would have to be HUGE to really live up to my expectations.  Twenty tunnels and fifteen rooms won't cut it.  And I don't think ANY player character ought to be able to stand up to Durin's Bane.

kk wasnt sure...was reading a preview on gamespot and they mentioned seeing moria in there...and yeah...i kind of see moria being like an entire expansion in itself.

#52 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 25th 2007, 10:32 PM, said:

kk wasnt sure...was reading a preview on gamespot and they mentioned seeing moria in there...and yeah...i kind of see moria being like an entire expansion in itself.

The final quest of the elf starter area takes you through some undergound halls. But so far every thing I've seen (underground) is not very impressive and very linear. Although I don't think this is supposed to represent the Moria experience. I've not run a dwarf through their starter area. Maybe I'll do that this week.

#53 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 26th 2007, 06:30 AM, said:

I've not run a dwarf through their starter area. Maybe I'll do that this week.

It's really a fun comparison, you get to see the same caves as in the Elf starting area but at a different time.  They are clearly not on the scale of Moria, but they weren't intended to be.

#54 Robert

Robert

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:23 AM

Yes, I've started a Dwarf in the game.

Was confused about the "instance" type start with the Troll & such. And then going to a place with other players, and then finding out that was another test Area.

Level 10 now, Good game. I'll play & get it at release.

- Seeing Elves at the start with that "Pimp" hat is funny. ;)
My Mac - 24" iMac.-
        ~ Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz  - 1.5Gigs RAM  - nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB  - 250GB HD ~

~ Rob of GameRanger - Premium ~

#55 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

How well does this run on first and 2nd generation intel imacs?

#56 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:07 PM

View Postijedi42, on May 18th 2007, 01:34 PM, said:

How well does this run on first and 2nd generation intel imacs?

Ummmm thats a good question.  Don't know if this helps any but on my 2.33ghz MBP i can play it very smoothly on the high settings in the busiest locations and very high out in the country side.  Occasionly i get daring and put it on ultra high and it runs ok...can't realy party or fight on the ultra high settings but it looks nice =p

#57 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

View PostHoffer802, on May 20th 2007, 12:07 AM, said:

Ummmm thats a good question.  Don't know if this helps any but on my 2.33ghz MBP i can play it very smoothly on the high settings in the busiest locations and very high out in the country side.  Occasionly i get daring and put it on ultra high and it runs ok...can't realy party or fight on the ultra high settings but it looks nice =p

This reply gives me high confidence in the ability of the MBPs to handle Windows games. I'm glad to see that Mac laptops are getting up to speed for gaming.