Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

Game ON!  :sabber:

Just got a note from Turbine tech support to move all of the files out of the patch folder into the main folder copying over duplicate files and relaunch. Seems like their launcher/updater application is borked, but this solution worked at least until the next patch...

#22 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 15th 2007, 01:44 PM, said:

Game ON!  :sabber:

Just got a note from Turbine tech support to move all of the files out of the patch folder into the main folder copying over duplicate files and relaunch. Seems like their launcher/updater application is borked, but this solution worked at least until the next patch...

Hey hunt, so i just pre-ordered LOTR from a local gamestop and they gave me the beta disc.  I know open beta doesnt start until the 30th, but I went ahead and installed LOTR and began updating.  However it seems to freeze up around 44% complete.  I was just curious if you have had any trouble with downloading the actual update files.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 15th 2007, 04:50 PM, said:

Hey hunt, so i just pre-ordered LOTR from a local gamestop and they gave me the beta disc.  I know open beta doesnt start until the 30th, but I went ahead and installed LOTR and began updating.  However it seems to freeze up around 44% complete.  I was just curious if you have had any trouble with downloading the actual update files.

I assume it shows partial download like 10 of 20 downloaded? This probably won't help you but here is the link where I described my problem to Turbine. http://beta.lotro.co...ed=1#post316802. If you look at my post, I describe in the 6 steps of the launcher/updater where it would stop, but that was after all of the files were shown as downloaded. When it gets to "examine" it is supposed to look at all the files in the patch folder and compare them with the files in the main folder and update the ones that need it. Note the patch folder resides in the main folder.

#24 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

cool think i figured it out.  Fully updated and ready to play....now i just need to wait till the 30th *cry*.  I am realy hoping this game turns out to be good since my brother just got my WoW account banned today for buying gold for his stupid toon....all that hard work down the drain...i am so pissed off...this is my last hope lol.
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:43 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 15th 2007, 10:24 PM, said:

cool think i figured it out.  Fully updated and ready to play....now i just need to wait till the 30th *cry*.  I am realy hoping this game turns out to be good since my brother just got my WoW account banned today for buying gold for his stupid toon....all that hard work down the drain...i am so pissed off...this is my last hope lol.

Sorry to hear that but I'm impressed that someone actually got caught buying gold as the practice seems to be so prevalent.

In LOTRO some classes are race specific.

I finished the Elf starter area last night as a Lore Master, which is one of the magical classes, at least it feels magical. The class primarily uses staffs as weapons and is relegated to light armor. The healer class is the minstrel but I can't get beyond the concept of pulling out a guitar in combat and hurting your opponent by singing so I'm not doing that. :lol:

The intro area starts with a small instance (extremely linear), then moves to a common area which is more open but still feels linear due to it being mountainous with paths and structures. Caves are new load zones but they are not instances so you'll see others in there. One thing that drives me crazy is not being able to jump off ledges (like Guild Wars) which really gives a game, a game feeling. Thankfully this is absent from LOTRO so you can fall off high places and die, which gives it a more realistic feel imo. The quests are rather routine kill and/or collect or locate an item. The intro instance and the quest to get out of the starter area is highly scripted adding to the story. I forget the name of where we ended up after getting out of the starter area. We did one or two quests there. It too was very hilly, but if you walk your character there, you can go there so I'd classify it as just as open as WoW. The restrictions are natural barriers, not there to keep you on a narrow path like Never Winter Nights 2. I'll probably take a few more characters through their starter areas but so far the game has not grabbed me.

I joined with two other Lore Masters and I really did not like that we came out of the starter area looking like identical triplets, including big frilly hats.  Although you can make the same argument against WoW, WoW seems to have more variety in drops.

I still have my wish for the ultimate MMO with  dynamic world and quests, but when you participate in a static world MMO and accept what it offers, I really see how strong WoW is, even though I may not stick with WoW either. It's the been there, done that feeling that is starting to prevail.

#26 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Yeah I was somewhat suprised...though losing my 67 warrior because my lvl 13 brother felt that he needed lots of gold realy realy pisses me off lol.  It is either that or blizz banned the account because of "shared info", my brother moved to south carolina for college and has numeriously kicked me off by trying to play and I am wondering if that has anything to do with it...either way i am appealing to blizz to at least give me my character back.  There is no way I could start over...once you hit 60 the time spent from 1-60...or now 1-70 just seems lame imo, so I am realy looking forward to trying out LOTR...at least its not like guild wars though, i hate that confined feeling.

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 16th 2007, 10:42 AM, said:

There is no way I could start over...once you hit 60 the time spent from 1-60...or now 1-70 just seems lame imo, so I am realy looking forward to trying out LOTR...at least its not like guild wars though, i hate that confined feeling.

I hope you get your WoW guy back.

I'll never play a game with total instanced questing space even if there is no monthly charge. Here's why- last night I was out trying to do a quest, fighting a named boss and I was losing. So after running for my life, I ran into these 2 players who were in the same area. They invited me, we went back and kicked some arse and I followed them around for the rest of the evening. In a game like Guild Wars, I would have never run into them... I would have been all the way back in town asking for help.

#28 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

thanks...me too   :unsure: but yeah...that is true about the instanced based games, *sigh* only two weeks till i can play >_<.  Ah well... it looks like its decent from what I have seen so far.

P.S~what are you running the game on hunt?

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 16th 2007, 04:49 PM, said:

P.S~what are you running the game on hunt?

The PC in my signature on which it runs quite well, better even than ES4! Something this year I should have a MBP to try out some of this stuff on.

#30 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Cool thats what I was thinking but just wanted to double check.  Still trying to get an idea of how well it will run on my MBP, so hard to tell since everything is rated on the P4 chips  and not the core 2 duo's.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Good news, the human starting area is quite open. There is an instance at the end of the intro quests that
Spoiler
.  The quests are mostly soloable as a Captain. Overall the game seems easy at least to this point. I assume all classes will do ok. I still giggle when I run by someone pulling out his guitar to fight. It's just not how I imagined it happening in LOTR.

#32 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 16th 2007, 09:28 PM, said:

Good news, the human starting area is quite open. There is an instance at the end of the intro quests that
Spoiler
.  The quests are mostly soloable as a Captain. Overall the game seems easy at least to this point. I assume all classes will do ok. I still giggle when I run by someone pulling out his guitar to fight. It's just not how I imagined it happening in LOTR.

Sweetness....down to 13 days =p.  I am getting excited...between this, conan, and the new warhammer game, the loss of my WoW account isn't seeming quite as bad now...though I am kind of bummed about most of the classes being melee...i have always played a melee character of some sorts until recently and now it seems like my options are limited in LOTR.  Though the hunter and champion classes both look realy fun.

#33 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 17th 2007, 01:29 PM, said:

Sweetness....down to 13 days =p.  I am getting excited...between this, conan, and the new warhammer game, the loss of my WoW account isn't seeming quite as bad now...though I am kind of bummed about most of the classes being melee...i have always played a melee character of some sorts until recently and now it seems like my options are limited in LOTR.  Though the hunter and champion classes both look realy fun.

The Lore-Master can do some magical like things. Captain is melee all the way. Last night I ran a human Hunter through the  (human's) start area. Your bow can deal quite extensive damage to the point that mobs can have just a smidgen of life in them by the time they get to you.

And the elf starter area does not feel like a very magical area as compared to WoW.

I'm not sure if I saw it right, but it looks like if you are a preorder customer (what they call founding customer) you can opt to pay $10 per month or pay a 1 time lifetime fee of $200 which some basic math indicated that you'd come out ahead in less than 2 years.

Sorry to say, but at this time I have no plans to continue beyond the beta. The game does not have enough of that LOTR feel to me, at least not as I imagined it could be. Someone said they did not like the models. They don't really bother me but some of the combat noises get on my nerves- snarl, strike, Ack!, thwap, Ouch! noises. The award for the most annoying creature is a clave claw which are found in the elf starter area. It could be that I'm becoming very picky about taking on the commitment of a new MMO. Not to grind salt into your wounds, but I recently started playing WoW with my wife and I can still go back and enjoy the quests in the starter area and that is after running probably 4 night elves through there. It's not that I'm in love with WoW. It's just that WoW, for what it offers unlike LOTRO and Vanguard is just about perfect. LOTRO and Vanguard both seem to become very routine in short order. I'm still hoping AoC offers something new and exciting.

But I'm not trying to rain on your party. I hope you have a great time with it. :)

#34 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

hehe thats ok, I found out today that blizz is going to give me my account back...just have to fill out a form and fax it to them so thats all taken care of.  As for LOTR i guess we'll see and i thank you for all the info you have given me...since i got my MBP i have been buying software like mad and so far most of the games have not stood up to all the hype which is a major bummer at 50.00 bucks a pop =/.  Oh and I found out AoC is also going to be released on the 360 so i can get excited about that now....and the new warhammer game...that looks crazy...anyways yes back to LOTR I guess we'll see how it does.

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 18th 2007, 03:04 PM, said:

hehe thats ok, I found out today that blizz is going to give me my account back...just have to fill out a form and fax it to them so thats all taken care of.  As for LOTR i guess we'll see and i thank you for all the info you have given me...since i got my MBP i have been buying software like mad and so far most of the games have not stood up to all the hype which is a major bummer at 50.00 bucks a pop =/.  Oh and I found out AoC is also going to be released on the 360 so i can get excited about that now....and the new warhammer game...that looks crazy...anyways yes back to LOTR I guess we'll see how it does.

If you have a high speed connection, is that all it takes to get online with the 360? Are there any subscriptions/fees associated with getting online with the 360?

I'm used to having lots of buttons to push and I really like my Nostromo controller. Most of my special attacks and heals are programmed into individual buttons. I also have a 4 position thumb button which I use for selecting members of my party for healing purposes. I wonder with a consol controller if there is a way to quick select attacks in your tool bar or are you forced to select them with a cursor?

#36 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 19th 2007, 08:07 AM, said:

If you have a high speed connection, is that all it takes to get online with the 360? Are there any subscriptions/fees associated with getting online with the 360?

I'm used to having lots of buttons to push and I really like my Nostromo controller. Most of my special attacks and heals are programmed into individual buttons. I also have a 4 position thumb button which I use for selecting members of my party for healing purposes. I wonder with a consol controller if there is a way to quick select attacks in your tool bar or are you forced to select them with a cursor?

Yeah for the 360 you need Ethernet.  And there is a monthly fee to play the games online through xbox live.  However I dont think this will be the case with AoC (unless its going to be free online) but with Final Fantasy XI you did not need to pay the xbox live monthly fee to play it since it ran through its own system (Playonline). So in short, if a games online play is run through xbox live you have to have the gold membership which you have to pay for to play. As proven by ffxi, a mmorpg is capable to be run through a controller only.  You had your usual macro system which was brought up with one of the trigger buttons, which you then selected which macro through the D-pad.  It was very fluent once you got used to it, so I think with slight tweaks any game could ported over to the console generation and still maintain a very functional Interface.  Another cool thing with the new systems is that you can hook any USB mouse and keyboard up to them.  I have used our standard keyboard from our iMac and a logitech mouse for FFXI on my 360, though the console version of FFXI was better without those IMO.

#37 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

View PostHoffer802, on March 19th 2007, 11:19 AM, said:

Another cool thing with the new systems is that you can hook any USB mouse and keyboard up to them.  I have used our standard keyboard from our iMac and a logitech mouse for FFXI on my 360, though the console version of FFXI was better without those IMO.

That would be nice, but unless the the game recognizes mouse buttons (?), you'd need the mouse software to program buttons into the other than the primary left/right click mouse buttons. On both my PC and Mac using Kensington, Logitech, and MS the software is needed to program buttons for particular games. Do you by chance know if this is possible in the 360 or are does the average game recognize all of the mouse's buttons?

#38 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 19th 2007, 10:40 AM, said:

That would be nice, but unless the the game recognizes mouse buttons (?), you'd need the mouse software to program buttons into the other than the primary left/right click mouse buttons. On both my PC and Mac using Kensington, Logitech, and MS the software is needed to program buttons for particular games. Do you by chance know if this is possible in the 360 or are does the average game recognize all of the mouse's buttons?

Thats a good question, if I remember correctly the game recognized left, right, and the scroll/click wheel.  However this is the only game I have ever used it for, I personally prefer a controller for all of the 360 stuff,  I think though that if a company was serious about porting a MMORPG to a console, they would probably include full mouse and keyboard support and yet make it possible for the game to be played without them.

#39 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Here is a list of the type of quests the game offers in the Human starter area which I liked more the the Elf Starter area. All quests were solable for newbs. If your going to play this game, just be surprised and skip this post. :) I realize the quests are for newbies so maybe that is why they are really easy...

Spoiler

The final quest of the starter area is an instance
Spoiler
Now new areas are unlocked to explore, like the next town.

Spoiler

One thing I do like is that for quests, the objectives are listed on the right side of the screen, I think if you are using the quest tracker.

In comparison Vanguard starter area- kill some orbs, kill some more orbs, kill some pixies, kill some wolves/pigs/bear, gather some stuff, etc etc. Of course maybe they both get better at higher levels.

#40 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

cool thanks for the info hunt, I was watching a video on gametrailers.com which was an 8 min. video of someone running from Mickeldelving to hobiton, and the world looks realy open in it, does it seem to be more geared for the casual gamers? or more like FFXI where you must give up your life for it...cause im not down with that lol