Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Lord of the Rings Online-
I've been trying to get logged into the Lord of the Rings Online Beta Stress test without success. Very disappointing when a tech in the forums tells me I need to open ports on my router to make a connection. While I can't disagree with him, I've played 5 MMOs and this would be the first time where that was necessary. I was just hoping to get a look at it while it was free...

Anyone partaking?

PS- They lifted the LOTRO NDA so it's ok to talk about it.

#2 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

Opening ports for routers is common practice for some games, mostly games where you host servers thought. Note that the WoW beta and version 1.0 needed for you to open ports. It's really easy and shouldn't stop you at all.

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

View PostHansi, on March 1st 2007, 08:05 AM, said:

Opening ports for routers is common practice for some games, mostly games where you host servers thought. Note that the WoW beta and version 1.0 needed for you to open ports. It's really easy and shouldn't stop you at all.

Actually I never had to open ports for the beta or retail WoW. It just works. And as you said, if your not hosting a game, there should be no need. How can all of these other MMO developers get away with not having to make subscribers open ports? :)

As far as opening ports I've asked Turbine tech support for specific guidance. I know how to get to my DLink router control panel, but apparently it's too hard for their tech support to give me the specific info I need. In the process of signing on to the game, it goes through a download file process to sync up my version with the online version without apparent problems. But the next step is to examine game files, this is where it hangs. I'm suspecting that it might not be a port problem at all and it is frustrating.

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:56 AM

Most likely they can't help you since the process is different for each router. Maybe it was just the EU version of WOW but try here for instructions:
http://portforward.com/

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

View PostHansi, on March 1st 2007, 08:56 AM, said:

Most likely they can't help you since the process is different for each router. Maybe it was just the EU version of WOW but try here for instructions:

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out and see if it can help.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

View PostHansi, on March 1st 2007, 06:56 AM, said:

D'oh!  It just helped me figure out why I couldn't host Aleph One with Frost a while back.  I had my static IP set incorrectly.  Thanks for the link Hansi!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Here's the scoop. At Portforward.com I found an interesting blurb that says in most cases router outbound ports are open by default, and unless you have your router setup to stop all outbound traffic, then individual ports might have to be opened. So Turbine Tech Support was giving me a quick non-listening, non-helpful answer to the question I posted there. I spelled out exactly to them when the program hung.

So I continued to snoop around the Turbine site and I found the answer here and it has nothing to do with opening ports.  :bleedingeyes: This fixed my problem. At least I can take a peak at the game now.  :w00t:

#8 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

Huntn, I've played lots of betas recently and I have to agree with Hansi that opening a few specific ports in the OS software firewall  is a common practice for MMO games ...

Usually, the default settings of the firewall integrated in most DSL and cable routers don't need to be modified for online gaming but sometimes it could be necessary to open some TCP or UDP ports in the windows XP SP2 IPV4 firewall.

I play in the LOTRO EU beta and these are the settings given to the testers by the Codemaster's community manager:

TCP: 80, 8081, 5015, 9000

UDP: 2900-2909, 5015, 9000-9010

I use to create all the necessary entries for each game in the Win XP FW and then I check/uncheck them any time I need to play a certain game.

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

View Postmacpete, on March 1st 2007, 12:00 PM, said:

Huntn, I've played lots of betas recently and I have to agree with Hansi that opening a few specific ports in the OS software firewall  is a common practice for MMO games ...

Usually, the default settings of the firewall integrated in most DSL and cable routers don't need to be modified for online gaming but sometimes it could be necessary to open some TCP or UDP ports in the windows XP SP2 IPV4 firewall.

I play in the LOTRO EU beta and these are the settings given to the testers by the Codemaster's community manager:

I use to create all the necessary entries for each game in the Win XP FW and then I check/uncheck them any time I need to play a certain game.

Thanks for the info! Maybe it is more common in Europe than it is in the States because I've played quite a few and have never had to worry about opening ports for connecting. (Planetside, Everquest2, WoW, Minions of Mirth, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Tale in the Desert)

And I resolved my LOTRO problem with no need to open any ports, but for future reference I'm using a D-Link 524 router. In its control panel (reached via  192.168.0.1/) there are pages for Virtual Servers, Applications, and Firewalls.

If this sounds familiar to you, what page might those port entries go? On my Firewall page there is a source and destination IP range start and end along with a range of ports. On the Applications page there are trigger port and public port entries with game names all ready entered here (like Battle.net). And on the Virtual Server page there are private IP, private port, and public port entries.

OM Gosh, I just took a peak at LOTRO classes logging in to LOTRO as a Minstrel who takes out a guitar in the middle of swinging a knife and starts singing! This is to harm the bad guys... so they are very talented or very horrible singers. :)

Reference quote: . . . in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, "The Field of Cormallen"

My first exploration into the game, I've not really noticed any magic classes. Hopefully I'll find one.

BTW if you played LOTRO, what did you think?
Thanks!

#10 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

I've not touched the FW settings of my DSL router (Netgear DG834G), I let it perform its simple stateful packet inspection job and use the software firewall of MacOS X and Windows XP SP2 instead ...

View PostHuntn, on March 1st 2007, 08:05 PM, said:

I've not really noticed any magic classes

No magic classes here ... in Middle-earth there were very few wizards so magic is supposed to be very rare  ... but there are semi-magic classes like loremasters and minstrels.

LOTRO is shaping up very well ... it's very casualplayers-oriented that's why I like it :)

It's very, very polished, almost ready for the launch. The artwork is great but I don't like the models they've used to render the PC, NPC and mobs.

There's a lot of exploration and adventuring and tons of quests ... sometimes I think there are too many of them ;)

The EU community is fantastic: mature, collaborative and very open-minded (the flames in the official BBS are very rare).

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#11 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Is anyone running this on a macbook pro, or all mac pro's and imacs?  I noticed the beta had a higher system requirements that the regular requirements so wasnt sure if we had any dare devils in here lol
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-Shiny, lets be bad guys ~Jane
-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#12 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 2nd 2007, 02:27 PM, said:

Is anyone running this on a macbook pro, or all mac pro's and imacs?  I noticed the beta had a higher system requirements that the regular requirements so wasnt sure if we had any dare devils in here lol

I run it on a Mac Book Pro (1st gen), 2 GHz.  No problems, though you don't want to max out the video options.  I also set it to use the native rez of my MBP... I hate the fuzzy look when they set the resolution down on an LCD.

I like the obvious research that they did on the game, but I dislike the models for just about every critter (including characters).  I'm not sure that my LotR geekiness will be able to cope with the introduction of combat minstrels and spell-casting everywhere.  It might be a better MMO for somebody who wasn't quite so picky about Tolkien lore.

#13 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

there were few HUMAN practicioners of magic... they were much more common amongst the elves. Keep that in mind

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

View Postjohnwillo, on March 2nd 2007, 04:55 PM, said:

I like the obvious research that they did on the game, but I dislike the models for just about every critter (including characters).  I'm not sure that my LotR geekiness will be able to cope with the introduction of combat minstrels and spell-casting everywhere.  It might be a better MMO for somebody who wasn't quite so picky about Tolkien lore.

My first impression of combat minstrel singing all most made me giggle. It was kind of silly in execution. This character actually pulls out a guitar for 2 seconds and sings a couple of bars, between knife swings.  The singing in the original LOTR text sounds more like a effect of minstrels who are separate from the actual fighting but their singing is heard and are able to ruin the moral of the bad guys.

#15 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

Back to square one... 2 patches later and the game is once again hanging on me during launch. This happens after new files have been downloaded. I'll post another message in the turbine forums, but so far their tech support has been lame. Don't they realize that first impressions of a new game have a huge impact?  :blink:

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

View Postmacpete, on March 1st 2007, 12:00 PM, said:

In light of my launcher hanging once again...
I'm using a D-Link 524 router. In its control panel (reached via 192.168.0.1/) there are pages for Virtual Servers, Applications, and Firewalls.

If this sounds familiar to you, what page might those port entries go? On my Firewall page there is a source and destination IP range start and end along with a range of ports. On the Applications page there are trigger port and public port entries with game names all ready entered here (like Battle.net). And on the Virtual Server page there are private IP, private port, and public port entries.

#17 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hey guys...so this game is looking like its gonna turn out to be pretty sweet but I got a quick question for anyone in the BETA and that is:

How open is the world in LOTR?

Are we talking about a world like WoW where you can pretty much run and explore anywhere and everywhere?  Or is it more like Guild Wars and FFXI where you cant realy explore freely and are more or less guided through each zone?
The Mac:  15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI x1600 256mb, 3 gigs ram.
The PC :  3.0ghz Intel Core2Duo E8400, Asus P5N-D nForce SLI Motherboard, BFG GeForce8800 GT OC 512MB, 4gigs ram

-If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up, honestly there could be tears ~ Mal

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

View PostHoffer802, on March 11th 2007, 09:55 PM, said:

Hey guys...so this game is looking like its gonna turn out to be pretty sweet but I got a quick question for anyone in the BETA and that is:

How open is the world in LOTR?

I'm trying to figure that out but having update problems when LOTRO patches are released. So far the starter area (as far as I've gotten) is very linear and unlike Wow in its openness. Don't put much weight on that as more exploration is needed to really know.

#19 Hoffer802

Hoffer802

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hmmm well I am realy hoping that its just the starting zone that is like that and that the rest of the world is more open.  I was reading some other forums and people were saying that starting zone felt that rather instance like compared to the rest of the game so I am keeping my finger crossed lol

P.S say I were running this on a 2.33ghz Macbook pro with the usual, Nvidia x1600 256mgb, and 2 gigs of ram.  How well would this run?...sorry but I am currently paranoid over things like this.  New comp...gonna be so totally bummed if a game I am realy interested in cant run  :angry: and I know johnwillo gave a brief description but any more detail would be nice.

#20 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

This situation (trouble with updates) sucks! There are many Crash threads in the Crash forum (yes, the Crash forum!) over at the LOTRO beta forums. I've uploaded my LOTRO log file so maybe it will be resolved today. I know I'm repeating myself but I've not had this problem in the past. I think Turbine has a problem with there Login/Update servers. At a minimum it's very finicky.