Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 26th 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

i thought it was pretty obvious, but let me clear things up. Either TBC's couldn't tell that Smoke_Tetsu's was joking or he didn't mark clearly that he was joking... I thought it was pretty clear that everything was ok, until TBC post...

That's what I thought smilies where for. But I'll be more careful in the future.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#42 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:34 PM

All is well. As long as everyone knows there was some sort of confusion/miscommunication...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#43 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

You took that way to seriously Smoke_Tetsu, underscoring that the ribbing I gave you had merit.  Mostly though my post was a salute to NAG who I don't see enough of these days.  Now back to your regularly scheduled "Violence in Games" thread.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#44 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:17 PM

anyway back on topic. While I don't want violence in a game, i find it necessary to keep prospective on things. You cant have Warcraft 3, with ballerinas trying to sing each other to sleep and decorating buildings to destroy them. I also couldn't an unreal tournament with pillow fights which are only waist high to keep out of danger.
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#45 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

I can't find the ban button!!! :lol:

Anyway, I think the people looking to ban video games should go join up with the chinese who are trying to ban the internet. We're crazy I tell you! We need them to help us!
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

Actually, if we could outsource the violent video game jobs to China and have them incorporate Steam into those games then that would tie up all the loose ends.  They would ban themselves and much like a snake swallowing it's own tail, China would shrink down to a wriggling ball the size of a BB then disappear with a loud pop.  DAMN!  I forgot to deport Jack Thompson to China first!  Do I get a do-over?

But to actually contribute something, I think violent video games have helped me.  I mentioned this elsewhere once, but I gravitated to violent games because it felt like therapy to me.  I've used to have some of the PTSD symptoms from my military service in the 60's.  It helped me come to terms with it, alleviating the symptoms.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 27th 2007, 01:53 PM, said:

DAMN!  I forgot to deport Jack Thompson to China first!  Do I get a do-over?

Watch what you say! Don't you know that if you say his name three times in a row he appears and sues you?

#48 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 27th 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

Actually, if we could outsource the violent video game jobs to China and have them incorporate Steam into those games then that would tie up all the loose ends.  They would ban themselves and much like a snake swallowing it's own tail, China would shrink down to a wriggling ball the size of a BB then disappear with a loud pop.  DAMN!  I forgot to deport Jack Thompson to China first!  Do I get a do-over?

But to actually contribute something, I think violent video games have helped me.  I mentioned this elsewhere once, but I gravitated to violent games because it felt like therapy to me.  I've used to have some of the PTSD symptoms from my military service in the 60's.  It helped me come to terms with it, alleviating the symptoms.
Great point tBC. This worked some with my father also. For me its pretty much my only relief. I have sever OCD (Monk) and intense games like Battlefield 2 are the only thing that keeps my mind from repeating the same things over and over. Without my meds and video games I would spend months with the same thought never leaving my mind. It almost cost me my marriage and job several times. I need my action/violent/gory games.  :nods:
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#49 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, all the people that say you should bottle up your feelings and not find constructive outlets are just fooling themselves. We're emotional animals. This includes violence. Just ignoring it (along with sex like the good old Victorians) only creates problems.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#50 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

While I don't have any condition, video games are something to do. I still read, get good grades, and it hasn't effected my social life at all. If I don't play video games i just waste my time playing small flash games online which become boring withing minutes... what's worse?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#51 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

IT PUTS THE LOTION IN THE BASKET....OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN.
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#52 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

yeah. i've tested this out and pretty much no one who doesn't play video games (mot of the people around me) don't believe it. They always say that the article is complete bs or they say that it's not so black and white and that there are penty of articles  that support otherwise.

I try to tell them that the article conducted a scientific study and that other studies are just small links inflamed by the media. *Sigh* Any help would be appreciated...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#53 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

It's hard for people who don't play video games to understand. But I'm sure most people could relate to watching a violent movie or TV show. You could ask them if they have felt violent from watching movies or TV. I kind of think though since Video games are the new thing relatively speaking that they are the in vogue scapegoat for people wanting to put the blame on something just like comic books, dungeons and dragons and various forms of music before that. So I almost think there isn't enough evidence in the world to change the mind of someone who doesn't understand and are possibly biased against it. They will always turn whatever you are showing them back at you saying things to the contrary even if they are not accurate\true. It's kind of a strange thing to me if a certain thing influences a small percentage of people to do something then that must mean it's an epidemic affecting everyone. It's like saying The Beatles - Helter Skelter influences everyone to do things like Charles Manson.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#54 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

aww... but you see, their trump card is that in video games you conduct the actions yourself in movies you only watch somebody do it. Therefore, they see it's not the same...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#55 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

View Postarchermitch, on March 2nd 2007, 09:52 PM, said:

aww... but you see, their trump card is that in video games you conduct the actions yourself in movies you only watch somebody do it. Therefore, they see it's not the same...

What people like that seem to fail to understand is that doing something in a video game is not like performing that act in real life. To them it may not matter and quite frankly that almost makes me worry about how they would react if they played a video game if they took it that seriously. But really, when they say something like that it just shows their bias because others might consider simply viewing it in any media to be enough to make a person violent.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#56 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 3rd 2007, 02:44 AM, said:

What people like that seem to fail to understand is that doing something in a video game is not like performing that act in real life. To them it may not matter and quite frankly that almost makes me worry about how they would react if they played a video game if they took it that seriously. But really, when they say something like that it just shows their bias because others might consider simply viewing it in any media to be enough to make a person violent.

Call me crazy, but the other night I was playing TR Gold, and well.. later when I went to bed and shut my eyes (Yes it was very dark) and I thought I was seeing the rocky tunnels. It was kind of going through my mind. (Fortunately no raptors) :happy:

This ever happen to anyone else? (Maybe it's just me)

Anyway, back on the topic.. It helps for the gamer to know themselves.... Some gamers should not play Doom 3 or games on that level of intense digital violence. Even with the ESRB ratings. Those are precautionary in nature. You don't need to please the other gamers out there by playing what they're playing.

There's plenty to choose from that will interest almost everyone - Adventure, arcade, puzzles, strategy, sports of all sorts, cards, and sure there's more categories too.

Play the games that you enjoy the most. :happy:

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#57 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:43 AM

View Postyo-mike, on March 2nd 2007, 11:59 PM, said:

You don't need to please the other gamers out there by playing what they're playing.

There's plenty to choose from that will interest almost everyone - Adventure, arcade, puzzles, strategy, sports of all sorts, cards, and sure there's more categories too.

Play the games that you enjoy the most. :happy:

Yeah that's simply what I do because I realize that no matter what choice I make on entertainment or anything for that matter there is always someone out there who doesn't like it and if I tried to please everyone with my choices I actually wouldn't choose anything. :)
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#58 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:43 AM

oh no doubt. I never play a game because its violent. Nor do I see a violent video game and think it is a good game.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#59 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

View Postarchermitch, on March 3rd 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

oh no doubt. I never play a game just because its violent. Nor do I see a violent video game and automatically think it is a good game.

I don't usually correct others posts but is this what you meant?
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#60 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

View PostNAG, on February 27th 2007, 01:35 PM, said:

Yeah, all the people that say you should bottle up your feelings and not find constructive outlets are just fooling themselves. We're emotional animals. This includes violence. Just ignoring it (along with sex like the good old Victorians) only creates problems.
I can understand the violence, but how are video games an outlet for sexual behavior?

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 2nd 2007, 11:46 PM, said:

I don't usually correct others posts but is this what you meant?

Yeah those corrections were snuff...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM