Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

View Postedddeduck, on March 26th 2008, 05:55 PM, said:

Violent people might like violent games but it does not necessarily follow that this also means that people who play violent games are violent.
Right to the point. I couldn't agree more.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#122 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

View Postedddeduck, on March 26th 2008, 10:55 AM, said:

The fact of the matter is you have a certain percentage of crazy people in this world and crazy is as crazy does.

A crazy killer might like playing violent games because it simulates what they like (killing people) but playing violent games does not do the opposite and make you a killer.

I totally agree with the whole post. It seems to me that some people consider things to be, "First comes thought, then comes action".. as if you think of something then it must follow that you act upon that thought. Those people think reading a book or other media is the same as joining said subject... or it's the first step. This has led to things like Harry Potter book burnings (amongst other things). What they fail to realize is that many people have self control and sometimes a thought is just a thought... a cigar is just a cigar, etc. It's unfortunate that some people are that kind of sociopath who would go on a killing spree after playing a video game but those kind of people are in the minority.. loud as they may become because of the media. Some people take things like Harry Potter and Star Trek too seriously, a lot of those people are harmless but again there is always the exception. Some people can be dangerous with anything they are obsessed with violent or not. In other words, again I agree.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#123 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

View Postedddeduck, on March 26th 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

The point which no-one ever seems to raise in my opinion is the one I suggested above.

Violent people might like violent games but it does not necessarily follow that this also means that people who play violent games are violent. If the logic works one way it does not follow it is correct the other way round.
And here you touch on a point where some folks (who I am inclined to agree with) say violent videogames may actually be a GOOD thing for those kinds of people. They provide an outlet for their criminalistic tendencies that doesn't harm other people. Case and point the oft-cited sharp drop in carjacking in the United States strangely coincided almost exactly with the release of Grand Theft Auto 3 on the PS2. And carjacking is one of the top "thrill" crimes. It could be that would-be carjackers get their thrills by playing "bad" videogames and are then less likely to act it out in the real world.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#124 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

yes, but it can also go the other way in that car jacking in a game is still going to be a rather detached feeling to the play, so someone who has these tendencies but always has that mental block with regards to doing it in real life might play GTA3 and then give it a go...

not that im saying thats my opinion (nor that I expressed what I just said very well, hopefully youll get the gist). Im with Eddde on this one. Violent games are harmless to the average person, some people wont want to play them because of their dislike of violence, but others will find it a huge thrill, but they could be a violent person in the first place.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#125 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

View Postedddeduck, on March 26th 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

Violent people might like violent games but it does not necessarily follow that this also means that people who play violent games are violent. If the logic works one way it does not follow it is correct the other way round.

I agree with your sentiment but think it's on the conservative side. I say it's a certainty that for most people violent video games do not cause violent behavior in daily living. There is violent behavior but I think it's impossible as a rule to pin it on exposure to violent video games.

#126 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postteflon, on March 28th 2008, 06:53 AM, said:

yes, but it can also go the other way in that car jacking in a game is still going to be a rather detached feeling to the play, so someone who has these tendencies but always has that mental block with regards to doing it in real life might play GTA3 and then give it a go...

Of course they may find that actually going through with something like that is easier fantasized\said than done. ;) They may find out quickly that real life and games don't operate the same way. Just like with movies, you can't just shoot at the back of someone's car and have their gas tank spontaneously combust.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#127 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 28th 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

Just like with movies, you can't just shoot at the back of someone's car and have their gas tank spontaneously combust.

What?  Yes you can...you must be doing it wrong.  Works for me.

--Eric

#128 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Ford Pintos rule but if you are going to shoot a General Motors truck make sure you have an Estes rocket engine going off underneath it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#129 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm sitting on the side of the road taking pot shots at cars passing by trying to make them explode! :bleedingeyes: ;)  :cool:
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#130 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 29th 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm sitting on the side of the road taking pot shots at cars passing by trying to make them explode! :bleedingeyes: ;)  :cool:

Oh, you seemed like the type more likely to be dropping cinderblocks off of overpasses. ;)

#131 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

One guy I know is a retired lobbyist, and he said it best, speaking of politicians:

"[a lot of ] shrill demagogues, each looking for a windmill to tilt."

Show me the EVIDENCE that video games have made society worse in some way.   My main concern isn't the violence -- as Gary put it very well, I too am a gentle person who loves brutal video games.  I laughed my fool head off when Marvin got his head blown off in Pulp Fiction, too... almost fell out of my chair laughing, literally.

My main concern is that video games give an out for kids to not exercise, and to get fatter.  There is actually some evidence to read in this area, and kids who don't play vids/watch TV too many hours a week tend not to be as fat.  Being fat has measurable health consequences.

I wish the shrill demagogues would pick a better windmill to joust, or else drink a nice big cup of STFU.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#132 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 30th 2008, 07:05 AM, said:

Oh, you seemed like the type more likely to be dropping cinderblocks off of overpasses. ;)

Only on the weekends. ;)
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#133 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Actually, I'd like to see someone drop a semi-trailer load of super-balls off a busy overpass.
Of course people would probably freak out and crash, so that wouldn't be funny.

Just the thought of all those balls bouncing off everything all over the place gets me rolling though.

Oh well, fun while it lasted!

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#134 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

View Postzapranoth, on March 30th 2008, 03:19 PM, said:

Show me the EVIDENCE that video games have made society worse in some way.

I've actually seen proof that violence amongst young people has actually gone down since video games. It's just that there are still bad seeds who make it easy to target whatever it is that is popular or new at the moment.

I laughed my fool head off when Marvin got his head blown off in Pulp Fiction, too... almost fell out of my chair laughing, literally.
I liked that movie but I didn't laugh on that part, I was more like... damn.. :bleedingeyes:

My main concern is that video games give an out for kids to not exercise, and to get fatter.

True, at the very least it's because when kids eat in front of the TV it distracts them and enables them to eat more. The more calories you consume the fatter you get. I saw this on a show recently called, "The Truth About Food". They had a girl there who ate more slices of pizza in front of the TV than when she ate at the dinner table with no TV. This girl was overweight despite the fact that she exercises a lot and runs marathons. Then of course you get kids who might want to have snacks whenever they are in front of a screen. I think people should refrain from eating in front of the TV.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#135 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on March 30th 2008, 11:14 PM, said:

True, at the very least it's because when kids eat in front of the TV it distracts them and enables them to eat more. The more calories you consume the fatter you get. I saw this on a show recently called, "The Truth About Food". They had a girl there who ate more slices of pizza in front of the TV than when she ate at the dinner table with no TV. This girl was overweight despite the fact that she exercises a lot and runs marathons. Then of course you get kids who might want to have snacks whenever they are in front of a screen. I think people should refrain from eating in front of the TV.

I used to eat snacks no-stop when I watched cartoons.

One time I was eating pizza with a group of people and a small older lady out-ate me eating pizza. She ate like 4-5 pieces at least. I had to leave the room. :blarf:

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#136 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

View Postzapranoth, on March 30th 2008, 05:19 PM, said:

Show me the EVIDENCE that video games have made society worse in some way.   My main concern isn't the violence -- as Gary put it very well, I too am a gentle person who loves brutal video games.  I laughed my fool head off when Marvin got his head blown off in Pulp Fiction, too... almost fell out of my chair laughing, literally.
I'm gentle also. And I also laughed hysterically at that moment in Pulp Fiction. (In fact, I enjoyed that movie so much that I wish that I'd get amnesia so that I could enjoy that much again.)

I'm sure that many of you have heard the "news" about violent video game being relaxing; however, the most of the media just regurgitates what it is told. Before believing the study, you should read Violent videogames = relaxation? Itís more complex than that (at one of my favorite websites) which provides a serious look it.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.