135 replies to this topic

#1 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

I was listening to a podcast (ign) and they said that a fairly trusted study proved that violent video games had little to no effect on violent behavior. They mentioned something about how it worked, but didn't seem to be too sure on what the article had said. They pointed out that rage would be taken out on pixelated characters instead of people. I'm sure that this doesn't seem too trusted, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

P.S. I encourage posting sources (i.e. articles, podcasts, little sister, etc.)

Edit: Surgeons Make Better Doctors is an example of telling a source and giving more aspect to the forum. Also, I wasn't able to give anews article and I would appreciate it if somebody could fine me one... please?
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:15 AM

View Postarchermitch, on February 25th 2007, 01:02 AM, said:

I was listening to a podcast (ign) and they said that a fairly trusted study proved that violent video games had little to no effect on violent behavior.

OH YEAH!?!?!!!  Come here and say that, ya PUNK, and I'll rip yer HEAD off and then rip yer ARMS off and use them to play GOLF with your head, then I'll JUMP up and down on your mangled CORPSE and THEN we'll REALLY start the HURTING!!!!!!!!111!1111!!!!  So there!

:goes back to playing Grand Theft of the Quaking Manhunt Autos of Doom:

--Eric

#3 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:39 AM

View PostEric5h5, on February 24th 2007, 11:15 PM, said:

OH YEAH!?!?!!!  Come here and say that, ya PUNK, and I'll rip yer HEAD off and then rip yer ARMS off and use them to play GOLF with your head, then I'll JUMP up and down on your mangled CORPSE and THEN we'll REALLY start the HURTING!!!!!!!!111!1111!!!!  So there!

:goes back to playing Grand Theft of the Quaking Manhunt Autos of Doom:

--Eric

I WILL MAIM YOU ALL! MWAHH HAHA HAHA HAH!

:Goes back to playing Pong:

#4 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:45 AM

ughh...idiots.

this is a very hard topic to get around but ill quickly say what i think.
wait no im just going to ask you a simple question, theres no need for anyone to actually reply just think about it.

i walk into a store...there is a 12-gauge shotgun concealed in my jeans pocket. for whatever reason i decide to take the gun out and blow the storekeeps head all over the wall. i then proceed to kick his corpse around and shout racist remarks.

i walk up to my T.V, press a button turn on my console. i pick a game out of the drawer, and place it within the console, after a couple of adds and promotional logo's i reach the game menu. i start a new game. once again the game loads, there is a film clip, it tells me of a character doing it tough and forced to become a gang member due to money issues. something happens and all of a sudden i need to kill to progress through the characters story. i press buttons to kick people out of there cars. i change my weapons, select aim press to shoot Kill,bang he's dead. i feel sorry for his family...wait what family? oh yeah thats right, he's an animated figure, with a couple of lines of code for a mind.

doyou really care when you commit acts of violence in a game?

ok let me put it this way. it doesnt seem to affect people that much when thats what there supposed to be doing...or even Able to do. it just doesnt hit me that what im doing is wrong because within the game i Can do it. whereas if im bending the rules of the game to do something violent or uncanny thats when it becomes affecting of the mind

for instance whats worse for you, blowing peoples heads of in F.E.A.R or installing This mod for the sims 2?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

View PostEric5h5, on February 25th 2007, 01:15 AM, said:

For a moment I'd thought that tBC had jumped into the discussion.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

View Postarchermitch, on February 25th 2007, 12:02 AM, said:

They pointed out that rage would be taken out on pixelated characters instead of people. I'm sure that this doesn't seem too trusted, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Lot of past talk about this discussion, usually when some group or individual makes a claim about how virtual violence begets actual violence. In this case I think they are saying that for some people a game offers a means of venting whatever is bugging them. I don't believe a game causes anyone to go out and commit an act of violence any more than a movie or a book does. Not saying it can't happen, just saying that we can't ban everything that might put an idea in some (all ready) sick individual's head.

#7 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

Saying video games cause violence is like saying religion causes violence. No, people cause violence. If you eliminated video games and religion, the world would be just the same when it comes to war and violent crimes.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on February 25th 2007, 06:20 AM, said:

For a moment I'd thought that tBC had jumped into the discussion.
Nah, this would be my 70 trijillinionith "violence in video games" thread and I'm sort of all jumped out on it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

then again it's mainly the press. A mean, a boy hung himself in direct correlation to Binladen's hanging and was it covered in the news. I think video games can effect your behavior, but it's certainly not the leading factor. A boy from Bosnia started shooting people. The press tried to link it to video games, but the real reason was that he had been in a war from age 6...
Video games don't just automatically take you over, it's not like drugs, it's takes long long exposure to strong content for it to effect you...
Now all the stupid moms in the world are determined to deprive their children and limit everything...

But then again, I heard that a study showed that violent behavior is directly linked to the TV you watch. ??? In TV you're not even doing anything, except watching it. In VG you actually simulate it yourself...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

View Postarchermitch, on February 25th 2007, 12:12 PM, said:

Now all the stupid moms in the world are determined to deprive their children and limit everything...

Aha!  Now we know what this is REALLY all about.  Grounded again, are we?  ;)

But then again, I heard that a study

You shouldn't believe everything you hear.  For example, I heard that a study proved that if you send me lots of cash, it makes me more inclined to say nice things about you.  ...Then again, it couldn't hurt to test this theory some more....  I also heard that a study proved that Microsoft is cheaper than open source software.  And it's the sheerest coincidence that the study was funded by Microsoft, right?  Right?  Anyone?  OK then, moral: consider the source.

--Eric

#11 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

well, then how can i believe my first post if I can't believe my last post?

No, I'm not grounded. ;) In fact I play almost all the first person shooters out... My friends however are limited to 30 minutes a day and only on weekends... it irritates me.

I have another thought. Their parents always tell them to stop playing video games and to watch TV. Isn't that little... "off the mark"? I mean video games are more intuitive, more fun, and depending on the situation, less violent.

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#12 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 25th 2007, 01:23 PM, said:

well, then how can i believe my first post if I can't believe my last post?

Exactly....

Their parents always tell them to stop playing video games and to watch TV.

Only one word for that: :rolleyes:  Whatever happened to "go outside and play"?

--Eric

#13 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

well, that was my point... It's like saying stop doing heroine and start smoking instead...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#14 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

If Video games where banned violent people will just find something else to blame. Video games are just one in a long line of scapegoats that people use to excuse their behavior. Or that the media has latched onto for quick sensational headlines that don't deal with the root of the problem. Banning these things isn't the way to go because once you have gone down that path where do you stop? The Beatles inspired Charles Manson you know... maybe they should be banned too!  :cool: :crazy:

I do agree that for an unstable mind or bad seed playing a video game may help set them off but I think they probably have worse problems in their lives than video games. There was this one article at Penny Arcade that I think everyone should read. (the second article there)

I agree that it makes no sense for people to thing of watching TV as anymore productive or valid a form of entertainment than playing video games. Some people like those parents simply believe this because they where raised or been exposed to TV for a long time and not video games which is a more recent thing compared.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#15 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Well, I'm glad we are clear-thinkers and can see through all the media, but some sources would be nice! :)

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#16 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 25th 2007, 08:23 PM, said:

Well, I'm glad we are clear-thinkers and can see through all the media, but some sources would be nice! :)
What's being said in here is just pure common sense. Next do you want sources when someone says the sky is blue??

#17 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

I know this is all quite obvious, but you need to understand that the clear majority of people are completely certain that it's true...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#18 JonB

JonB

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

Why are these talks always about human behavior? What about the fact that game violence is a completely boring and played-out game mechanic/means-of-progress that sorely needs to be replaced with something more intelligent, if video games ever want to transcend juvenile fantasy schlock into some kind of realm of respectability?

#19 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

i don't play games for the game-violence... besides I just started playing video games after about 3 years...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

Not all video games are violent though especially casual games. Sure most hardcore titles are violent but if you look at movies what percentage of movies you see playing at the local cinema are violent too? Even if they started making more non-violent hardcore titles there probably still would be just as many violent ones just like with movies.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7