26 replies to this topic

#1 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

I want to buy an rts, but I honestly have no idea which one is the best. I was going to get Age of Empires 3, but I heard that it would run slowly on my computer... Please tell me what rts I should get and if it will run smoothly on my computer:

• 1.25 GHz Power PC G4
  • 256 MB DDR SDRAM
  • Mac OS X v10.4.8
My computer is an emac and I haven't upgraded any graphics cards, so they are all standard... It is ok with me if I need to run the options (graphics, textures, etc.) to the ground and if you I must I can run it on my PC...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!
Also check out Mac Tip of the Day for the Iphone

Click Here and join Gamefly!

Current Comp:
Intel Mac Mini OS 10.4.10
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It happens often.

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

Starcraft is the best RTS.  (Anyone who disagrees needs medical attention.  I read somewhere that this is an established scientific fact.  Or possibly I just made it up.)  Also, it will run great on your computer.

--Eric

#3 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

i own it! :) True. It is very fun, but I've played it through too many times and is too hard for me most of the time... I used to play my brother, but for some reason, when playing in OS X you can't play LAN... You have to install the disc on both computers and if both run OS X... They only have the carbon for the game itself...
Mac Tip of the Day is a podcast, blog, archive, e-mail subscription, etc. of for clever mac tip every day!

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

In that case, how about Age of Empires II?  That's still pretty popular.  (Don't tell me...you already have that one too, right?  ;) )

--Eric

#5 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

no. actually I don't. What's the difference between the third and second?

what about command and conquer?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:49 PM

The main technical difference is that the third uses a 3D engine, and the second uses 2D bitmaps (like Starcraft).  The overall gameplay is fairly similar when all is said and done.

As for Command and Conquer...I assume you mean Command and Conquer Generals?  That's pretty fun, and would probably work OK as long as you turn down the settings.  But it's still somewhat demanding.

There's also Rise of Nations, which uses sort of a hybrid 2D/3D engine that might perform better on your computer.

--Eric

#7 Douglas

Douglas

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 19th 2007, 05:55 PM, said:

I want to buy an rts, but I honestly have no idea which one is the best. I was going to get Age of Empires 3, but I heard that it would run slowly on my computer... Please tell me what rts I should get and if it will run smoothly on my computer:
  • 1.25 GHz Power PC G4
  • 256 MB DDR SDRAM
  • Mac OS X v10.4.8
My computer is an emac and I haven't upgraded any graphics cards, so they are all standard... It is ok with me if I need to run the options (graphics, textures, etc.) to the ground and if you I must I can run it on my PC...

I haven't played Age of Empires II yet, but I really had a lot of fun with Age of Empires 1 and it would run stellar on your Mac.  Other good RTS games include, Warcraft 1,2,3, Starcraft, Total annihilation, Age of Mythology, not to mention Myth 1,2 and 3.  I believe that there are demos for all of these RTS games for the Mac on the web so you can try each of them out before you buy to see how you like them!

Good luck, let us know which ones you end up liking!!!!

Douglas

:)
- 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 4GB ram, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro & Vista, Nvidia 8800 GT
- 1.67 GHz PPC G4 Powerbook, 2 GB ram, 80 GB hd (OS X 10.5.8)
- 1 Ghz PPC G3 Blue & White, 1 GB ram, 320 GB hd (OS 9.1)

Playing - (Mac OS)  Bioshock, Battlefield 1942, Halo (Windows) Battlefield 2

#8 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

wow thanks! I'm checking them out now on www.macgamefiles.com

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#9 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:23 AM

Warcraft III. As a Mac user you get full access to the online community, unlike Age of Empires. Although the game has seen better days, it's still just an all-around well-designed RTS with a good community. The game is new enough to look good, but not so new that it has crazy hardware requirements. The only drawback is the fact that you have to buy the expansion as well, but I think you can pick up both for not too much money nowadays.

Also, the game has one of the greatest modding communities I've ever seen and comes with its own map editor client if you're into that sort of thing.

#10 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:46 AM

I'm personally a long-time fan of Blizzard's RTSs, Warcraft III and StarCraft are must-haves, pure and simply. I can't say much for the age of empire games though, after playing Age of Mythology for a while I promised myself to never pick up any of the other Age of games, because it was one of the most bland, standard off the rack RTS without any real profile of its own I've ever played. Then I'd rather go with C&C Generals, which I found playable, but barely, on my PowerBook with not too much similar specs from yours.... but it wouldn't be the best of experiences performance wise.

Freedom Force should run like a charm on you machine, even if that's a mix between an Action RPG and RTS, where you only control 4 units. It's completely awesome at least.... and if you haven't played it yet, I say you HAVE to get out to get a copy of Myth II: Soulblighter. It might seem a tad old by now, but it's still one of the best strategy games ever made... Myth: The Fallen Lords too.

There's also the Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds with expansion... but that's just the Age of games with a Star Wars skin... something that actually lifts them up a bit and makes them a bit more interesting.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#11 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:52 AM

Total Annihilation is fabulous and is still one of the most innovative games of its genre.  It runs great in classic, if you have it.

Majesty is also a really unique RTS that's lots of fun and far more interesting a game than the usual harvest resources->build big army->conquer enemy formula.  Also runs fine in classic.

#12 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on February 20th 2007, 03:23 AM, said:

Warcraft III. As a Mac user you get full access to the online community, unlike Age of Empires. Although the game has seen better days, it's still just an all-around...
lol I was just going to post that i had decided to get that game! the demo is stellar and I'm stoked to play it again!

I don't want to run classic on my computer. I used to do it, but it started taking up too much room... I'm content with Warcraft 3, although i don't doubt that the other games suggested are loads of fun...

Somebody mentioned that there was a warcraft expansion pack?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 20th 2007, 01:17 PM, said:

Somebody mentioned that there was a warcraft expansion pack?

Get the Warcraft Battle Chest.  That has both the game and the expansion.  (Plus a couple of "strategy guides" if you care about that sort of thing.)

--Eric

#14 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

thanks! I think I will! I've been playing the demo and i realized I didn't know how to use inventory items. Could somebody help me out? I know how to use potions, you just click them, but when I try to wear a ring, i click the hero I want to wear it and he places it on the ground. I hope a fan of the could explain what I'm doing wrong here...

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

You don't have to do anything - when the ring is in the inventory, it's effective.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#16 archermitch

archermitch

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

oh geez! thanks a lot!

I'm enjoying Warcraft III so much, i know I've made a great choice. How old is this game?

Current Comp:
1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

#17 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

It's old enough that you can run it in Classic....

--Eric

#18 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

For your eMac:

Rise of Nations Gold
Age of Mythology

From your posts, I gather these would provide you a bit of fun.

I ran both of those on my eMac, which is only a 1GHz G4.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#19 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

Well, if you are playing Warcraft 3, and have played Starcraft, you've found the best.

C & C Generals is also a blast.

Stronghold is hard to come by, but it was a very fun game.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#20 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

View Postarchermitch, on February 20th 2007, 02:59 PM, said:

oh geez! thanks a lot!

I'm enjoying Warcraft III so much, i know I've made a great choice. How old is this game?
Came out in 2002 and the expansion in 2003.