9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:07 PM

CNET News recently posted an article examining the current status of Macintosh gaming and changes Apple could make to encourage more gamers to consider Macs. The article features commentaries from industry notables such as Aspyr's Glenda Adams and Al Schilling of Macsoft.

But Apple, despite having the horsepower to satisfy those gamers with products like the Mac Pro, doesn't need that category as much as the rest of the PC world, Baker said.

"That segment is profitable to (Windows) guys because they don't have a solid way to make themselves profitable in the low-end market," Baker said. "But Apple is more profitable off the bat. They don't have to go searching for those smaller niches, their main niches are already relatively profitable."

And with most of the growth in the market heading to the consoles, that might not be a terrible stance, Baker said.

Still, game developers naturally believe that if Apple took a few steps to improve game performance and availability on Macs, the company's market share would grow, encouraging more developers to create titles for the Mac, thereby attracting more gamers, and so on.

"I think if they dug into it," Aspyr's Adams said, "they'd make the connection that a good thriving Mac gaming market would help their market share."
Click on the link below to read the full article.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 JoAT

JoAT

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

I suppose it's nice to see someone like Cnet covering the topic, since they are outside the typical Mac game publications.

But overall, I found the piece to be quite shallow.

#3 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

When he says "(Windows) guys", is Baker talking about Microsoft or PC manufacturers? Either way, it seems ridiculous to  say that gaming is their way to becoming profitable "in the low-end market".

#4 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:40 AM

View PostTesseract, on February 17th 2007, 08:06 AM, said:

When he says "(Windows) guys", is Baker talking about Microsoft or PC manufacturers? Either way, it seems ridiculous to  say that gaming is their way to becoming profitable "in the low-end market".

Low-end,as in in non-pro,non-server.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#5 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

Ah, I see.

On reflection, he must mean the hardware guys, because MS is also "profitable off the bat". They sell a copy of Windows with practically every new PC whether the user plays games or not.

#6 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:29 AM

View PostTesseract, on February 17th 2007, 03:27 PM, said:

Ah, I see.

On reflection, he must mean the hardware guys, because MS is also "profitable off the bat". They sell a copy of Windows with practically every new PC whether the user plays games or not.

Yes,IŽd assume so.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#7 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

there is so much more to this subject than what was mentioned in the article. i would really like to hear tuncers thoughts.

#8 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

It would have been good if they had contacted Apple to see what they say about it.
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#9 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostNicholas, on February 17th 2007, 09:34 AM, said:

It would have been good if they had contacted Apple to see what they say about it.
heh...

#10 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:50 AM

View PostNicholas, on February 17th 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

Based on what Glenda said, I don't think they really care anymore.  They somehow think everyone is spending all their free time in iLife.