Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

View Postbiedawo, on April 4th 2007, 02:32 PM, said:

This has been an interesting thread to read.  I just started WoW about a week ago...
Matt

Matt,
Is this your first time playing or do you have previous xp? My wife is uncomfortable with the controls and not yet comfortable enough to want to interact with other players (besides me). She also has problems with the camera, which is interesting as it is second nature to me. I've told her what part of her problem is but she refuses to cut her nails... :)

#82 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 4th 2007, 03:54 PM, said:

Matt,
Is this your first time playing or do you have previous xp? My wife is uncomfortable with the controls and not yet comfortable enough to want to interact with other players (besides me). She also has problems with the camera, which is interesting as it is second nature to me. I've told her what part of her problem is but she refuses to cut her nails... :)

First time playing WoW.  (have played NWN a fair bit, but it took me a while to feel somewhat comfortable with the movement/camera in WoW, and I realize how weak I still am if I ever try a duel.... yikes)

Make sure your camera controls are set up the same...  I'm still not sure what is optimal, but turning off the "smart" camera seemed to help her quite a bit.

My wife does instant messaging and has some IRC experience, so player interaction isn't too unfamiliar to her, although most low-level players are either power players intent on levelling as quickly as possible, and there is a big bunch of junk players (shouting out "yo momma" in response to any question, etc.).  Occasionally some with more positive interaction.

I thought the Warlock might be cool (having a pet and all), but felt I wasn't able to interact enough - would be better if I could heal or had some more supportive role I could fill.  Rogue was okay, as a bit better in a sword fight, but hopefully priest will work out (trying to catch up in levels now)

Matt

#83 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

View Postbiedawo, on April 4th 2007, 07:40 PM, said:

First time playing WoW.  (have played NWN a fair bit, but it took me a while to feel somewhat comfortable with the movement/camera in WoW, and I realize how weak I still am if I ever try a duel.... yikes)

Make sure your camera controls are set up the same...  I'm still not sure what is optimal, but turning off the "smart" camera seemed to help her quite a bit.

My wife does instant messaging and has some IRC experience, so player interaction isn't too unfamiliar to her, although most low-level players are either power players intent on levelling as quickly as possible, and there is a big bunch of junk players (shouting out "yo momma" in response to any question, etc.).  Occasionally some with more positive interaction.
I thought the Warlock might be cool (having a pet and all), but felt I wasn't able to interact enough - would be better if I could heal or had some more supportive role I could fill.  Rogue was okay, as a bit better in a sword fight, but hopefully priest will work out (trying to catch up in levels now)

Matt

I played WoW for about 14 months and then took a 2 year break now I'm back but on a very casual basis.

I've never been a good dueler mostly because I have not practiced it. Watch out for rogues if you do as they have debilitating attacks which will bring you to your knees.

Mostly what smart camera does is make it follow the terrain better. I usually have mine on because it means less work manually adjusting it. But maybe we should try turning it off for the wife and see if that makes any difference for her?

I've played both Warlock and Hunter. In some ways the Warlock pet is better because it requires no feeding which can be a real pain with an animal as you always have to keep some slots open for food. And you don't have to worry if your minion likes you or not. The new pets especially, until they get to "like" you are hogs eating tons of food. At times as a hunter, you'll either be buying or grinding for pet food.

Your familiar with the "tank" concept? Tanks (Warrior) are the tanks, they hold aggro (as in aggravation- the enemies' attention) because they have heavy damage attacks and the highest armor ratings. So as they take a beating, they are dependant on healers to heal them. That is why something like Warrior Priest is considered a good combo for two dedicated characters. You can do something similar with the pet classes using your pets as tanks. This offsets the fact that as a warlock you have cloth armor. Hunter are better cause they start with leather and at L40 they get mail armor. There have been many changes over the last 2 years so I don't know in today's Wow if Paladins are mostly considered armored healers or tanks.

Currently we are playing dual Druids. For now Druid is working ok for the wife as it has one step up for armor (leather), healing, and spell casting which she likes. I want to get to at least L10 do give her a chance to play with the feral form. We may try another class in the near future and I'm also considering trying different classes, something like Warrior Priest.

#84 cosmo

cosmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 5th 2007, 08:16 AM, said:

I played WoW for about 14 months and then took a 2 year break now I'm back but on a very casual basis.

[pedantic]

The game hasn't been out that long. :)

[/pedantic]

#85 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

View Postcosmo, on April 5th 2007, 10:38 PM, said:

[pedantic]

The game hasn't been out that long. :)

[/pedantic]

Make that a 1 year break. (Where'd that other year go? Prol floating around in my office somewhere.)

#86 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:23 AM

Well, lest anyone think that this couple's adventuring are raid-filled venture-fests....

this evening we learned how to get a cooking fire going so she could start to learn some of her recipes.  A player had offered some advice and some meat to get started, and then they ended up talking for a bit (I ran around and gathered herbs).  That other player was a semi-retired woman playing her 14th level main character who had just made her first griffin trip, so she was eager to share the experience, so it was off to stormwind city.  Of course (as players know), you need to have visited the destination first.  Tram time, but on the way there, she fell into a canal, and we had to swim around looking for a spot where you can climb out of the canal... then to the tram, but didn't get off the tram in time, and so got the return trip to stormwind and back to ironforge.  Good thing it was free.  Then an interesting griffin ride.

Ended up taking lodging in the inn in Stormwind.  She's decided she finds Stormwind to be more attractive than Ironforge...

We did kill a rat down in the tram area.

Heh.

:-)

#87 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:18 AM

Possibly you know of those long winding ramps up to the tops of trees in Elf land? Someone I know has a tendency to fall off of them but she's learning. Good points on the canal and tram hazards. I'll have to do extra briefings. :)

#88 Jolly Rogue

Jolly Rogue

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

Man, this has been a great thread. Only quibble: it seems to have died on the vine.

9 million players and there's only a handful of Mac players? Ack! C'mon, Blizzard gives the platform unusally good support, all things considered.

Okay... now on-topic...

My wife and I play regularly. It's... niiiiiiice.

Background: Jenny already had a fantasy bent. She's a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings... I lucked out. I started playing NWN when it came out for the Mac -- she saw and joined in. We played like crazy. When my cousin introduced me to WoW, Jenny saw it and was only a short bit behind.

In that respect, the hard part did itself: getting her to try it out.

As far as role-playing went, it didn't have the engaging depth of some other games, but the landscape was awesome, the effects great and it did things some other engines never could. The special part, though, was really the social aspect. Meeting other folk, working with them in PUGs, being in (then running) a guild... it has been a great experience.

Jenny and I are just this side of WoW addicts. Fortunately, real life is engaging enough to keep us from taking this to unhealthy levels.

I've got a half a dozen observations on couples play, and if anyone is still interested, I'll be happy to share.

#89 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Just to put in my experience, I got wife into WOW with the free trial. Did find doing the healer damage was best. She is the mage, which i found nice and easy for her because she isn't relied on healing or keeping agro in groups which keeps the pressure off her not playing anything similar to this before.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64