#1 Xandrian

Xandrian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

Greetings friends!

I have lurked here for awhile without ever posting, but now I'd like to toss this question out to the board and see what kind of feedback I get.

I played WoW off and on for about a year or so at one point. I really enjoy the game, but ultimately got "endgame burnout" like some people do and quit. The Burning Crusade has me a bit excited, just because of "new content" and the like. I'm curious enough to try and again and see how the game treats me this time.

Now... to the preface for my question. I've always wanted to play WoW with my wife. I sorta feel like I'd get much more out of the game if I could play the game with her. The trouble is, she doesn't really play computer games. The most complicated thing that she plays is Solitaire and Sudoku. Not that there is anything wrong with those, mind you.

*Insert opportunity* After a little gentle pleading on my behalf, she agreed to try WoW for one week the next time I start up my subscription. If she likes the game, she might end up playing it regularly. That's a big "if" obviously. Maybe she will like it. Maybe she won't.

So now to my question, from those of you who have experience with this. Is there any combination of character classes that is naturally conducive to couples grouping together? Assume for the sake of discussion that it will just be us two grouping together, and that we will not be a part of a larger group, guild, raid, or otherwise. Just us two. I have pretty much always soloed up until now, so I'm not as familiar with group dynamics as maybe some of you are and am not really sure which classes work well (like peanut butter and jelly.... or chocolate and milk... or... or... all right I'll stop).

Normally, I wouldn't mind just trying several combinations and seeing if they work out. The trouble is, the whole "first impressions die hard" sort of thing. My wife is already skeptical of the game to begin with, and I feel like I only have one shot at getting her to like it. No do-overs in other words. I doubt she will have much patience with me trying to find a good set of classes for us.

As a Bonus question, are there any particular classes that are well suited for someone playing the game for their very first time?

I appreciate the advice in advance. Obviously, if this has been hashed out before in a previous thread, feel free to point me in the right direction. I've just lurked the forums for awhile and never seen such a topic come up.

Enjoy your playing, whatever game you might be playing currently.
Xandrian

#2 totallywhacked

totallywhacked

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

hah....uhm...well look if she is really willing to actually give it a try, with a completely open mind, ask her what sort of fanatasy character she see's hereself as. Does she want to be a sorceress? Does she want to be a knight? A semi-evil warlock?  A sneak?

Then the obvious things follow from that. If a sneak, you will have to be two rogues together. If a mage, then you could be a paladin. If a Paladin, then you a mage. If a warrior, then you a priest. Etc.

Good luck. let us know how, and if, it works out.

#3 cosmo

cosmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

The most generic 2-person team that you can find in pretty much any RPG is the tank-healer combination. This diversifies and varies with the game you're playing, but the basic principle remains the same.

In WoW, there are a number of different classes that fall under "tank" (warrior, paladin, arguably shaman and even warlock) and a number of different classes that fall under "healer" (priest, shaman, paladin). Selecting one from group A and one from group B is sure to set you up for a pretty stable team.

Of course, you have other options as totallywhacked mentioned. If you're both magically inclined, there's no reason you can't be effective as a mage-mage team or a warlock-paladin team. If you both like the stealthy types, then rogue-rogue is for you. When you move away from the tank-healer template, some parts of WoW will become easier for you while others become more challenging.

Honestly, I think all of the above is besides the point. What you really seem to want is to get her into playing computer games in general - you are only indicating a preference towards getting her to play WoW because it's a game that you also play. You should therefore adopt with her the same strategies that you would use to get *anyone* to play computer games - strategies that change little, if at all, across different gaming genres and types. It's the same strategy you use to teach someone rowing, or dance, or singing - love, patience, dedication, and respect.

Best of luck to you and be sure to let us know how it turns out. :)

#4 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

ugh i would never get my significant other into WoW, or at least not to play simultaneously with me. i like our time together too much to conflate our "quality time" with that empty fantasy.

i met a guy online a couple of night ago who was "two boxing" a second WoW character along with his own because his wife had gone to bed. i think that pretty much sums it up right there.

#5 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

View Posthambone, on February 12th 2007, 09:50 PM, said:

ugh i would never get my significant other into WoW, or at least not to play simultaneously with me. i like our time together too much to conflate our "quality time" with that empty fantasy.

i met a guy online a couple of night ago who was "two boxing" a second WoW character along with his own because his wife had gone to bed. i think that pretty much sums it up right there.

I actually think it would be pretty sweet to play WoW or other computer games with my wife, but only an hour or two at a time. When my wife tells me it's time to go to bed, it's time for me to quit the game  :happy:

#6 Xandrian

Xandrian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi again friends.

Many thanks for the replies.

Cosmo:
You are right of course. The real challenge here is getting her to like computer games period. Thank you for the advice. Essentially, she wouldn't play a single-player game by herself (which is what I play most of the time these days). However, what I wonder is if she would actually enjoy playing a computer game if she had me there with her. You gave me some food for thought, and I will munch on it a bit.

I will indeed post here again with how it turns out. It will be a month or two. Essentially, to make a long story short, her trying out WoW is conditional, and I have to fulfill my part of the deal before she tries it.

Totallywhacked:
I asked, and she never really has envisioned herself as any kind of character. She just hasn't grown up that way. So, I am kind of starting at ground zero.

We'll see how it goes. Admittedly, this is an uphill road and my expectations at this point are low. One can dream though.

Xandrian

#7 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

If you don't want the typical warrior/priest combo, a shaman/druid team is actually pretty good. Both are diverse classes that can switch roles based on who your other group members are in PvE. Can't find a warrior? Have the druid tank with the shaman support healing. Can't find a priest? Have the druid heal with the shaman providing ressurection/support healing. Can't find a priest or a warrior? The shaman can heal while the druid tanks. Both classes are also good in PvP. It would provide flexibility without locking you into roles.

#8 Cyan421

Cyan421

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

on my server (khaz modan) ive met two couples who play together.  One is in my guild, and neither of them play exclusively together.  Aside from that both the women are preists(es?) and one guy is a warrior the other is a hunter,  recently the wife of the couple in my guild switched to playing a mage,  so they are different levels and obviously both lovers of WoW in there own right.  

Firstly, for my sugestions,  I think WoW is a hugely diverse game.  Its fun for hardcore gamers and people who play a few hours a week.  It's full of people of all ages.  So I think limiting yourself to solo play is excluding tons of the games content.  Being a high level rogue is near impossible for me to solo and get worthwhile loot and experience.  

2nd.  Consider that you wife may not want to bash zombies with a big ax for hours on end, she might be more apt of shooting arrows, or hurling fireballs, or watching your ax bashing while she heals you.  

tre

I don't know about an easy class for beginners, but Hunters are by far far far the easiest class to solo.  

The number one concern for most groups (even of two) and the mark of and experienced player is the abbility to manage/avoid aggro.  So I think you being the experience player you should be a class that can manage aggro,  i.e. Warrior, Hunters pets have tuant too.

#9 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

View PostXandrian, on February 12th 2007, 10:40 PM, said:

Hi again friends.

Many thanks for the replies.

Xandrian

If I were going to get my wife to play with me, I think the best combo would be Warrior/Priest, since they are very complimentary. I would have her learn how to gather flowers/make potions (herbalism & alchemy), she may like that aspect of the game, and I would do mining & jewel crafting. All I know is that I'd be MUCH farther in the game if I had a constant companion to play with.

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

View Postcosmo, on February 12th 2007, 07:42 PM, said:

The most generic 2-person team that you can find in pretty much any RPG is the tank-healer combination. This diversifies and varies with the game you're playing, but the basic principle remains the same.

In WoW, there are a number of different classes that fall under "tank" (warrior, paladin, arguably shaman and even warlock) and a number of different classes that fall under "healer" (priest, shaman, paladin). Selecting one from group A and one from group B is sure to set you up for a pretty stable team.

Of course, you have other options as totallywhacked mentioned. If you're both magically inclined, there's no reason you can't be effective as a mage-mage team or a warlock-paladin team. If you both like the stealthy types, then rogue-rogue is for you. When you move away from the tank-healer template, some parts of WoW will become easier for you while others become more challenging.

Good advice!

Don't forget Druids- a nice healer class which has been improved greatly since the beginning of the game. Here is a good reference page if you've not seen it lately updated with the new races: WoW Class Index.

Healing is a great perk for pairs, but is not necessarily a requirement, as duplicate classes can be very devastating- double anything and you double your fun although the limits of the class must be respected. For a while I played one of two paired Shamans and they seemed very potent.

#11 cosmo

cosmo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

Eek! As others have pointed out, druids are a class that fit into both the tank and the healer role, and I completely forgot about them.

I'll blame that on me not having played WoW for quite a while now. ;)

#12 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've been playing WoW together with my fiancée for countless hours now, and we have 10 characters each that comes in twos. Our first pair was the classical Warrior/Priest combo (I'm the priest there actually), but soon afterwards we started a Druid/Hunter combo too (with me as the druid... she wasn't much for the responsibility of healing to start with). Our deadliest combinations would probably have to be the shaman/mage combo though, but that was our 4th pair, started when we already had 60s to start with, so we were pretty well worked together there. The Rogue/Paladin mix is quite lethal too... really any combination works... even if it's best if one can heal, and preferably some kind of tanking (even if a shammie with shield, warlock with voidwalker/felguard or hunter with pet is enough). I know several couples who play WoW and most of them just pick characters from what they're interested in playing and goes from there.

I'm not sure wether WoW really is the best game to get somebody interested in gaming though... if you wife has any interest in StarWars, the LEGO StarWars games can easily trigger an interest far easier than a "complex" game like WoW. It's like learning to play Piano by starting with Für Elise... not the most advanced of pieces, but it can be overwhelming for a beginner.

We're currently playing WoW together with a friend who hasn't played any games besides minesweeper and similar in ages, and while she's really interested in playing WoW, she has a hard time to handle camera and controls, mostly because she's not used to 3D games in general. If she hadn't really liked the game and been interested from the start, I think the controls alone could have turned her off.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#13 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 13th 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

Healing is a great perk for pairs, but is not necessarily a requirement, as duplicate classes can be very devastating- double anything and you double your fun although the limits of the class must be respected. For a while I played one of two paired Shamans and they seemed very potent.

A danger with duplicate classes is a feeling of inferiority if you're not able to match the other. If you have different classes you can always call it off on that, but if you're same class and similar spec and the other in the pair completely outshines you, you won't feel that good about your character anymore. People can easily get turned off by a game form feeling worthless.

Hybrid pairs can be a blast though... even if me and my fiancée actually have one of those, we've paired with hybrid classes and taken turns in tanking/healing/DPS, which is great instead of having the same role all the time.

There is a drawback with this as a new player though, and that is that you have to learn all those roles at once. Getting to control a druid with all the shapeshifts can easily be forgotten by "but the cat looks sooo cool" and never change back.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Gosh, role playing with your wife sure has changed since my day!  Regardless Xandrian, if your wife asks you if "these +5 Abjurer's Pants make my ass look fat", there is NO RIGHT ANSWER.  Pretend you didn't hear her or fein death.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 Xandrian

Xandrian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 13th 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

Gosh, role playing with your wife sure has changed since my day!  Regardless Xandrian, if your wife asks you if "these +5 Abjurer's Pants make my ass look fat", there is NO RIGHT ANSWER.  Pretend you didn't hear her or fein death.

*scribbles on paper* No Right Answer. Check. Feign Death. Check.

Thanks for the responses everyone. You've given me lots of ideas. I'm gonna be cute about it and make a little makeshift personality test that she can take to determine what kind of class she might like to play most. Might make her laugh and get her really liking a class. I think getting her emotionally attached to a class might be key.

I'll post updates occasionally with progress.

Cheers,
Xandrian

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

Correct answer: "Honey your the hottest babe in Azeroth period, no ifs ands or butts!"

Trying to figure out how to get my wife interested in wowing it...

#17 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 15th 2007, 03:01 AM, said:

Correct answer: "Honey your the hottest babe in Azeroth" period, no ifs ands or butts!

Trying to figure out how to get my wife interested in wowing it...

Let me know when/if you have found an anwser to that  :w00t:
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#18 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

Another combination that might work would be two paladins, each with a different spec. Make one a Holy Paladin, and the other a Retribution Paladin. That way you have healing & damage, plus different auras & blessings.

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 14th 2007, 06:01 PM, said:

Correct answer: "Honey your the hottest babe in Azeroth period, no ifs ands or butts!"
Nope, you just got in trouble.  Her response then would be, "OMG you've been looking at other women?!?!?!  :crying:"  Then it just goes downhill from there.  I'm telling you man, just feign death!   Use the old Redd Foxx bit where you grab your chest in pain and announce you just had the big one then fall to the ground.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 15th 2007, 04:52 PM, said:

Nope, you just got in trouble.  Her response then would be, "OMG you've been looking at other women?!?!?!  :crying:"  Then it just goes downhill from there.  I'm telling you man, just feign death!   Use the old Redd Foxx bit where you grab your chest in pain and announce you just had the big one then fall to the ground.

Whatever happened to being a "manly man"?
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)