• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Lucas 1977

Lucas 1977

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

View Postteflon, on February 2nd 2007, 08:11 AM, said:

its simple. Theyve picked their sweetpoint with CPU speed, and then put the base system specs which come for all the macs. imacs have either a X1600 or 7300, MBPs X1600, and Mac Pros come with a 7300 as standard. Macbooks get the GMA950. all these machines can play this game out of the box.
the only machine with the short straw would appear to be the mac mini which apparently doesnt have enough CPU power... which I dont quite believe.

hopefully theres a demo.

What I find more strange are the recomended requirments. For the PC LucasArts recomends 64 MB of VRam and for the Mac Aspyr recomends 256 MB. This seems slightly odd, undless the mac version has much more detail graphics or is able to display many more objects at once.

#42 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

View PostLucas 1977, on February 2nd 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

What I find more strange are the recomended requirments. For the PC LucasArts recomends 64 MB of VRam and for the Mac Aspyr recomends 256 MB. This seems slightly odd, undless the mac version has much more detail graphics or is able to display many more objects at once.

"minimum" and "recommended" specs should always be taken with a grain of salt from some publishers. Some (mainly PC) publishers likes to set minimum to the bare minimum you need to even be able to start the game and recommended as what you need to play the game at minimum settings and get somewhat smooth framerates (20-30FPS if you're lucky). It's my experience that most mac publishers prefer to set the recommended specs to where the game actually is enjoyable in terms of graphics and speed. It's a highly relative measurement though, since some people can't live with framerates below 50 and others (like me) actually can enjoy a game in the late teens, as long as the controls doesn't suffer from it.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#43 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

Aspyr is well known for sandbagging their system requirements.  They don't want people complaining that they thought they had a machine fast enough to run the game according to the posted requirements, but upon buying the game they were disappointed.

Like Whaleman said, it is all subjective, and Aspyr errs on the side of caution to avoid any hard feelings on the part of it's customers.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#44 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

View PostArenzera, on February 1st 2007, 11:08 PM, said:

OmniGroup statistics show that there aren't as many PPC Mac users as some might think.

That is not an accurate sampling, and not useful for anything.

Why should Aspyr port a game to G5 iMacs and PowerMacs for them to run at a pathetic frame rate? They'll be the only PowerPC computers that run the game acceptably. IMHO, no new game from Aspyr should run on PowerPC Macs - they perform too slow for gaming and a small percentage of Mac gamers would actually own one (as opposed to an Intel Mac).

I think Apple saved the Mac game market by moving to Intel.

I think you're missing the point here. The windows version of the game has very modest: 1GHz CPU or equivalent; 256MB RAM, 32MB graphics card with Hardware T&L, 2.5GB hard drive space. This would work on most G4/G5 Macs released within the past 3 years.

Now consider Prey:
CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz , RAM: 512MB system RAM, Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card, Drive: 8X CD-ROM (standard edition), DVD-ROM (Limited Collector’s Edition), Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard drive space

Prey looks VERY cool, but has nearly double the specs in every regard except HD space. There are no G4's and very few G5's that could fit the bill as a comparable machine, yet Aspyr still released this as a Universal app.

This makes absolutely no sense. Making Prey an Intel Only and SW:EAW as a universal would have been much better, IMHO.

#45 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on February 2nd 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

This makes absolutely no sense. Making Prey an Intel Only and SW:EAW as a universal would have been much better, IMHO.

In an ideal world - but Prey is based on an engine with existing PPC code, and EAW is completely new. Also given how we all piss and moan about a lack of Mac<->PC multiplayer, what would have happened when they released this, and half the people who bought it couldn't play with their Mac-owning friend?
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#46 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

View PostLucas 1977, on February 2nd 2007, 09:53 AM, said:

As someone here who owns Empire at War, I can tell you never ever ever ever ever try to play it on 64 MB of VRAM.  Your just asking for hurt.

I've got a X800XT in my PC at home, and at times thats not quite enough.  Based on Aspyr's past performance, I'm sure they will work out the existing kinks to get even better performance.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#47 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

View Postnobody, on February 2nd 2007, 11:12 AM, said:

In an ideal world - but Prey is based on an engine with existing PPC code, and EAW is completely new. Also given how we all piss and moan about a lack of Mac<->PC multiplayer, what would have happened when they released this, and half the people who bought it couldn't play with their Mac-owning friend?

Certainly less than we would about NOT having the game at all.  :glare: Anyway, this will be a non-issue for me next year when I get my new Mac.  :happy:

#48 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on February 2nd 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

Prey looks VERY cool, but has nearly double the specs in every regard except HD space. There are no G4's and very few G5's that could fit the bill as a comparable machine, yet Aspyr still released this as a Universal app.

You forget that Prey, like Quake 4, is multi-processor aware.  So anyone with more than 1 CPU can take a chunk off the CPU speed requirement....there have been people with ludicrously underspecced dual G4s who say they find the game playable.

--Eric

#49 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

2007 is going to be a bad year for PPC Mac gamers I believe.

#50 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

but a good year for mac gaming, as it means well all start moving on... onwards and upwards.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#51 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

View Postteflon, on February 3rd 2007, 10:42 AM, said:

but a good year for mac gaming, as it means well all start moving on... onwards and upwards.
Agreed.
Apple users should be used to Apple's 'transitions' by now. 68k to PPC, OS 9 to OS X, PPC to Intel.

#52 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, they say that after awhile, the whippings destroy the nerve endings in your back.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#53 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

says our expert in the area of whipping....
oh, and backs too. hes quite good at those after all these years.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#54 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

This sucks for people with PPC machines, but the sooner that platform is nothing but a distant memory, the better for Mac gaming.

#55 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:57 AM

Say's you with no doubt an intel mac.  :glare:

A little bit consideration with/for us 'oldtimers' yes? :cool:
There has been an considerable amount of money invested by G5
owners, now their machine is somewhat 'officially' declared 'outdated'.

Crap, you think you have the top of the line model and then suddenly the
CPU gets changed, again.
And you're out, in the woods again.

Sounds like an old 'The Cure' song: a forest.

#56 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

I agree with you Riko, it does feel like you've gotten the cold shoulder here but in truth it will be better for the Mac in the long run. Altruism!
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.