126 replies to this topic

#1 Pluto

Pluto

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

AppleCrypt Mods (http://applecrypt.filefront.com/) - a major resource for FPS mods and maps for Macintosh - is dying due to the lack of downloads - please download some files from it to keep them online (if a file is not requested for a month it is deleted from FileFront).

Here is a message from AppleCrypt's creator:

http://web.mac.com/a...F3BB19CF71.html

"AppleCrypt to die?

Every few months, FileFront will email me with details of the files marked for deletion due to nobody downloading them.

There where around 30 downloads marked this time... So my thoughts are obvious - is anyone using AppleCrypt? Shall I let FileFront delete these files one by one and let the server die gradually?

Spread the word of AppleCrypt amongst gamers over at your favorite gaming web site. These mods, maps and total conversions are ready converted for our Macs, I am hoping people want AppleCrypt to remain...?"

#2 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

Ouch. I don't have any of the games that Striderdm1 supports - but I endorse his MAC friendly conversion activities!

Here is a direct link to the filefront account in question.

Feel free to wander the various directories and grab what interests you.

I am shocked that FileFront is sending notices that files are due for deletion.

I have never received such a notice on my account. :blink:

#3 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

I somehow managed never to hear of AppleCrypt until just now! Sucking files down like they're goin' out of style! Which, in a sense, they are....

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#4 Hewkii

Hewkii

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:16 AM

odd, I've never heard of AppleCrypt.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

OK, doin' my part to keep the Marathon files online.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

wow! An AppleCrypt thread. Shocked to say the least, ok ok i know i've done no new uploads for (ahem) a long time now but i guess advertising the site only in my sig wasn't good enough... damn me! Sorry all..

If people want, i will remain to keep the uploading going and keep AppleCrypt alive. I didn't think anyone would care tbh.. I've got many more files to send that i should have got around to doing, but it won't be for a while yet. I will post any new uploads in the news section of the web site though!

Hapa Hanu - your files where probably downloaded a few times, whereas i had a HUGE list of files that where marked for deletion. Due only because of their big sizes and also (sob) that no one downloaded them!

Thanks all :)

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#7 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Take everything you have and submit it to Macologist before it's too late!

#8 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

See Rogue over at Macologist, he's also mega busy these days like myself. But he's promised to try and get files across onto Macologist's ftp server. However, i will keep everything as is (and even add to it also) --> if this is what people want?

Anyhow, uploaded a bundle of Quake4 mods and maps today as a thankyou for this thread. Sucker ain't I...

Prob won't get any time over this week as I'll be working more 10-12 hour days.... sob! So I just don't get the Mac time as much as I'd like. Anyhow, violins put away now  :bleedingeyes:   :cool:  heh I love those two smilies!

Strider

#9 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

I downloaded a few files yesterday and played some mods I haven't played in a long time (Alien Quake TC) plus some that I thought I might never play (Quake 2: Lost Marine). It was pretty cool and I'm surprised I have never gone there before.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

This is actually a good Marathon Resource ie maps and editors.  I'm going to link to it from the main page of the Battle Cat's Litterbox on Friday, see if that helps keep that portion of it alive.

Hey, two of my maps were in the Marathon downloads, D-Day and the World Tour netpak.  Of all the maps out there you chose some of mine, an honor indeed.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 28th 2007, 08:41 PM, said:

This is actually a good Marathon Resource ie maps and editors.  I'm going to link to it from the main page of the Battle Cat's Litterbox on Friday, see if that helps keep that portion of it alive.

Hey, two of my maps were in the Marathon downloads, D-Day and the World Tour netpak.  Of all the maps out there you chose some of mine, an honor indeed.

Smoke_Tetsu - glad u liked Q2Lost Marine. I converted this to the mac with lots of sweat with the compiling :) TBC, thank you so much. Esp for the maps, often we all loose track of the ppl that actually made the darn things! Wow i didn't know about your maps too (tho i admit to supporting Marathon partially, as Doom3, BF1942 etc where my main games support). You making more maps? (sry i should check out your website again, after all this time! :}

Strider

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

View Poststriderdm1, on January 29th 2007, 10:07 AM, said:

You making more maps? (sry i should check out your website again, after all this time! :}

Strider
I'm not map making much anymore.  The last thing I did isn't even published.  I did a netpak consisting of 7 maps each with only 7 polygons.  The netpak is entitled "7 Black Cats", the name of one of the maps.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 29th 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

I'm not map making much anymore.  The last thing I did isn't even published.  I did a netpak consisting of 7 maps each with only 7 polygons.  The netpak is entitled "7 Black Cats", the name of one of the maps.

I really need to play more M. But with baby on the way (yeah!) I get little mac time these days. Tho i must admit, 7maps with 7polys...hmmm sounds like (erm) fun or (erm) different! Pfhortastic, even :-)
You ever make maps (sp) for other fps games?

Have a great weekend mate. Strider

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

Making a playable net map with only 7 polys is a challenge, and it was a fad for a while.  I haven't ventured outside of Marathon for map editing.  Maybe someday when I have some time on my hands.  

I can merge the "7 Black Cats" netpak and post it here if anybody is interested.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

I just don't know what else to ask, other than this-
Are all the downloads on filefront.com, Macintosh compatible?
I was wondering particularily about the Tom Raider downloads...

I've been in a pinch with getting my Tomb Raider AOD patch to work correctly.
I keep getting messages like registration code check invalid, and some about AOL file directory.
Thanks,
yo-mike

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#16 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:49 PM

No I wouldn't say so. Especially not patches (obviously) but mods.. maybe.. you could try it. It depends on the game and the extent of the mod. Like if it has functions that need compiling or whatever it might not work even if you find it in a zip file. Filefront is pretty PC centric so you'll find a lot of PC targeted files on there.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#17 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 4th 2007, 12:49 AM, said:

No I wouldn't say so. Especially not patches (obviously) but mods.. maybe.. you could try it. It depends on the game and the extent of the mod. Like if it has functions that need compiling or whatever it might not work even if you find it in a zip file. Filefront is pretty PC centric so you'll find a lot of PC targeted files on there.
Thanks for the quick reply, Smoke Tetsu!:)
That's pretty much what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. (A lot of downloads of this genre-patches, mods, etc. are not always specific of what platform they're for)
I'll stay with the regulars like Macraider!
Thanks again,
yo-mike

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#18 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:41 AM

FF is great for everyone, once registered (free) you could upload your files and have unlimited storage space. This is all i've done for AppleCrypt and everything there is specifically converted and zipped/sitx ready for Mac gamers. Though they will contact you ever so often with a list of files that have never been downloaded by anyone, hence the reason for this thread...

Generally, FF was used by PC people as most mods/etc come from these guys but only a small percentage are annoyingly stored as .exe files. Thankfully these days more and more are zipped up or something else compatible with the Mac. And (usually) a mod is platform generic.

Don't dismiss FF as there is far far far too much stuff there for any platform. Maps and mods galore :)

HTH?

Strider

ps,
TBC - merge away! :D

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

View Poststriderdm1, on February 4th 2007, 12:41 AM, said:

FF is great for everyone, once registered (free) you could upload your files and have unlimited storage space. This is all i've done for AppleCrypt and everything there is specifically converted and zipped/sitx ready for Mac gamers. Though they will contact you ever so often with a list of files that have never been downloaded by anyone, hence the reason for this thread...

Generally, FF was used by PC people as most mods/etc come from these guys but only a small percentage are annoyingly stored as .exe files. Thankfully these days more and more are zipped up or something else compatible with the Mac. And (usually) a mod is platform generic.

Don't dismiss FF as there is far far far too much stuff there for any platform. Maps and mods galore :)

HTH?

Strider

ps,
TBC - merge away! :D

I agree although I say you can't bet your life on all those mods being Mac compatible. So that's why I said you can try and then you might luck out.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#20 Pluto

Pluto

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:57 AM

View Poststriderdm1, on February 4th 2007, 10:41 AM, said:

And (usually) a mod is platform generic.

Also the mod archives are usually Mac-compatible the mods itself may be not. Even if some PC-made mod can be launched on Mac it still have to be tested thoroughly as it can crash on n-th level. So it may need additional work to adapt it (scripts, data formats, etc.) for Mac. It is a general problem concerning also porting original PC games to Mac.