#41 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

View PostScott Kevill, on January 13th 2007, 07:23 AM, said:

The Mac Demo is not compatible with the PC Demo.

It does support GameRanger, however, and I imagine it could become popular being the first major Mac demo with multiplayer in quite a while.

Scott.
Thanks for the support on GR too!
Now we can play the demo and the full game in GameRanger ;-)

Thanks Scott Kevill, Glenda Adams and Aspyr

PS: When i played the demo for the second time i noticed a server in MultiPrey. I joined the game and it's fun! MultiPrey is very cool and fun to play. Just like Singleplayer :thumbsup:

#42 rapideye

rapideye

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hang on, no-one has mentioned the music!  Sheesh.  Being beamed up to the sounds of BöC, woo, that's exciting.  Hallmarks of a smart game too.
A Pinball Wizard ª

#43 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:43 AM

one flaw in the multiplayer is that while you might have a lock on the game in gameranger, its completely open in the prey game browser...
if anyones listening, and i cant be bothered to send a bug report, cos i dont see it as that big an issue, then it might be an idea to look at this and fix it in a patch for the full game.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#44 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:36 AM

Are there multiprey games on gameranger that are not being advertised in the ingame browser? Particularly dedicated servers?

One thing that I noticed in the few multiprey games I participated in including one I hosted is it is heavily skewed toward the one who is hosting it because they have a 0 ping and the best I got hooking up to that person was around 100-150. Which in Prey still doesn't make things totally right when you are facing an opponent especially when during those times your ping spikes up to over 200. There was a person in multiprey who was playing the game on a PowerMac G5 but he\she was hurting because his\her ping was constantly 300 and over connecting to the particular person we where connected to! He\she was asking if anyone else was lagging like hell but all you have to do is hold down the TAB key to view the scores\ping times. I was the person with the second most amount of lag in the games tonight.

I've only managed to get second place as a result when hooking up to another person. When having them hook up to me it's like an empty victory wailing on them because they have ~200 ping connecting to me.

Some people are basing their judgement of the game on their impression they are getting having played these multiprey sessions!  :bleedingeyes:

Makes me wish for either a really fast dedicated server or a LAN party.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#45 Caesar

Caesar

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

It runs great on my Mac Pro with an ATI X1900XT @ 1920x1200.
I've to try the Multiprey mode :D

PS: seta com_videoRam "256"..... argh! still no support for 512MB video card on Mac D3's engine :(

#46 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:12 AM

Looks great--I'll be buying shortly! At first it seemed like too few different weapons (only 7) but then I realized there are different ammos for some of the 7.

This seems like the best of the three big Doom-engine games. And it doesn't start out monotonous like Quake 4 and especially Doom 3. You get into the action quickly, and the action has some variety to it.

Some of the player's voiced comments are pretty funny. I like his reaction when he peeks in the toilet bowl. (Kudos on the refracting toilet water--the dance of the skidmarks is mesmerizing. Little touches like that really immerse the player. If that's the right term.)

Can you make moral choices that affect your development as the game progresses? I've chosen the evil path for my character: I went into the women's room and left all the toilet seats up.

#47 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:59 AM

This seems like the best of the three big Doom-engine games. And it doesn't start out monotonous like Quake 4 and especially Doom 3. You get into the action quickly, and the action has some variety to it.
I had the exact opposite reaction. I loooved Quake4's first levels. I though they were really immersive in that it really felt like you were thrown in the middle of a much bigger war. The last levels were the basic FPS, one lone marine against the whole alien race...

View PostJanichsan, on January 12th 2007, 04:10 PM, said:

3. Why the heck does Prey run much better than Quake 4 and Doom 3, which both some very bad slow downs after MacOS X 10.4.8 was released?

Yes prey's performance is excellent. I can't say if performance is better than Doom3 or Quake4 but at least there is no mouse lag : issue i am having since 10.4.8, where fps is high but often the game takes half a second before reacting to mouse movement. I read a comment from one of Blizzard's dev regarding MT Opengl, explaining that issue : The stack of pre - rendered frames gets too deep and mouse inputs will only be processed after all the frames in the stack got rendered.

I really hope Quake4 and Doom3 will get a fix for that, as is these games are now very frustrating to play, although fps is higher than ever.

Otherwise THANKS A MILLION ASPYR for releasing an early demo. I love these !!!

#48 super_kev

super_kev

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:59 AM

I'm shocked... a demo released before the actual game?  :blink:  What is this world coming to? :lol:

Thanks Aspyr.  :)
Macologist's C&C Generals Sovereign

#49 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

And OMG!
Someone finally realized that not the entire world got born speaking English.
It's got subtitles! :lol: Finally now I can understand what they're saying while
bullits and explosion fly around my head making it imposible to understand what's
going on.

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

The subtitles are helpful to me too, a native born English speaker.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 14th 2007, 06:23 PM, said:

a native born English speaker.

as is the in game character...

native... geddit?  :cool:

in terms of performance, for me, its been pretty solid all round. No major slowdowns, and theres a few biggish rooms with a couple of baddies towards the end of the demo. While it was jerky, I could get by. Same as Q4 really.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#52 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

View PostiRolley, on January 14th 2007, 05:59 AM, said:

I had the exact opposite reaction. I loooved Quake4's first levels. I though they were really immersive in that it really felt like you were thrown in the middle of a much bigger war. The last levels were the basic FPS, one lone marine against the whole alien race...
Agreed, Quake does have that feel, with all the battle visuals going on around you, but what you're actually DOING at the start of Quake is pretty much "walk through hallways/trenches and shoot things that jump out." Just like Doom. Whereas Prey has more variety: some creatures that attack you, some that don't. Some simple puzzles. Some wallwalking. Cut scenes that aren't cut scenes--you walk through them yourself.

Now, much as I'm enjoying Doom 3 too, the beginning was not that spectacular. The first half hour or so, walking from office to office collecting instructions etc., I kept thinking that I KNOW I have seen this exact gameplay before. But where? Then it hit me: it was exactly like when I had to get new license plates and transfer the title for my car. (Right up to when the portal opens and all hell breaks loose. Something similar did happen at the Motor Vehicles office, but not exactly the same.)

#53 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

You know what I happen to like how in Doom 3 and Prey you can explore the first level and do whatever and then when you are ready you can start the action. Same sort of appeal I guess with free roaming games except on a smaller scale.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#54 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on January 14th 2007, 09:36 AM, said:

Are there multiprey games on gameranger that are not being advertised in the ingame browser? Particularly dedicated servers?

just spotted this.

thats not what i meant. I mean that you cant keep a game private because you lock it on one front, but then its completely open on another front. Youd either have to use the ingame browser, which isnt as easy as GR, or use GR and (if for example you just want to play against one or two friends) then get invaded by other players.

#55 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

I know it's below specs, but I had to test: Prey runs 1v1 multiplayer nicely on my G4/1.25 PowerBook. Big battles probably bog down, but 1v1 at low detail (720x480 widescreen) seemed very good (and not bad looking either).

My Intel iMac and G4 PowerBook were able to LAN-play just fine. (The iMac hosted.) This will be fun!

I'll try to host a server sometimes--dedi when possible. ("MacClan.net")

#56 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I had the game settings maxed and it ran great, smoother than Quake 4 and Q4 was smoother than Doom 3.  I didn't notice any slowdowns on my system.  One thing that bugged me at first was taking a curve up or down while wall walking.  I found that if you just keep looking straight ahead and not try to compensate with your mouse, it made getting your new bearings almost instantaneous.  I just loved the way a fight could come from any angle.  It kept me on my toes and my head on a swivel!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#57 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 14th 2007, 07:18 PM, said:

I had the game settings maxed and it ran great, smoother than Quake 4 and Q4 was smoother than Doom 3.  I didn't notice any slowdowns on my system.  One thing that bugged me at first was taking a curve up or down while wall walking.  I found that if you just keep looking straight ahead and not try to compensate with your mouse, it made getting your new bearings almost instantaneous.  I just loved the way a fight could come from any angle.  It kept me on my toes and my head on a swivel!

I also like shooting bad guys who are on a different orientation than me. Like if I had just gotten on one of the wall-walking sidewalks and a bad guy is on the floor. Or this one part where you come up to some creatures eating a dead body while you are still on the wall-walking sidewalk I like to snipe them while upside down before I get there.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#58 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

I think I saw a few people from this thread on my server. How was it? I hosted from my 1.25GHz G4, so I could join from my iMac sometimes. I TRIED not to use the machine for TOO much else at the same time, but there may have been some bad moments :)

#59 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

I tried it but my ping to it wasn't any better than when I hooked up to other people meaning I constantly got over 150. If you saw a "Tetsu" at some point that was me. My lag was hitching me way too much. Ah well.. at least I tried. Makes me think Prey probably needs a major host to host it.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#60 Infinity

Infinity

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

I was on the server for a few minutes, but had to go. I got occasional lag spikes, but it's kinda hard to tell the difference between lag and low fps when you're getting 10 fps :(