81 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Aspyr Media today released a demo of Prey for the Macintosh. The demo contains the first five levels of the first mission of the single player campaign and two multiplayer levels. The download is available at Macgamefiles.com.

Tommy is a Cherokee garage mechanic, refuting his heritage and undecided about his next step in life. His world comes to a halt when an extraterrestrial crisis forces him to awaken spiritual powers from his long-forgotten birthright. Abducted with his people to a menacing mothership orbiting Earth, he sets out to save himself, his girlfriend, and eventually, the entire planet.

Prey is a groundbreaking first-person shooter that turns the genre upside-down with new gameplay features and next generation graphics.
The Prey demo requires:

Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
PowerPC G5 or Intel chipset
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
Memory: 512 MB or higher

The demo, which weighs in at 454 MB can be downloaded at Macgamefiles.com via http or bittorrent.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, Aspyr!

So, on store shelves soon?

#3 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

:goes off to attempt to get it to run on eMac:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#4 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 12th 2007, 02:07 PM, said:

:bleedingeyes:

Good luck
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#5 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

View Postnagromme, on January 12th 2007, 01:32 PM, said:

Thanks, Aspyr!

So, on store shelves soon?
Should start hitting stores sometime next week!

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#6 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Damn. Just downloaded the demo and says the disk image failed to mount!

lenn

#7 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

View PostMaestro, on January 12th 2007, 03:13 PM, said:

:bleedingeyes:

Good luck

If I can make it all the way to where Tommy gets sucked into the spaceship, I'll be happy.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hm, nice - I already played that part (and a bit more) on the PC. Still quite fun, though.

I'm just wondering about three things:

1. Are there really no MultiPrey (god, I love this pun) demo servers?
2. Is it right that the demo does not support wide-screen resolutions? (I can set 16:9 and 16:10, but still only 4:3 resolutions are offered.)
3. Why the heck does Prey run much better than Quake 4 and Doom 3, which both some very bad slow downs after MacOS X 10.4.8 was released?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Thank you Aspyr! Thank you Glenda Adams!
Thank you, thank you, thank you...
This game is SUPER MEGA COOL! It runs great on my PowerMac G5! Better then Doom3 and more like Quake4.
All graphics high in a resolution from 1680x1050. Very smooth!
Kind regards,
Dokter_Mac

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 12th 2007, 08:07 PM, said:

:goes off to attempt to get it to run on my Powerbook: I'm optimistic, the Quake IV and Call of Duty 2 demos both ran well/decently.

#11 Aika

Aika

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

I'll have the full-game on my doorstep before this demo finishes downloading... meh.
iMac late 2013

#12 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Good job Aspyr! I loaded it up on my Dual 1Ghz G4 with GeForce 4Ti (5 year old workhorse and certainly below spec). At low-res with most of the graphic options turned off, the frame-rate was low but reasonably playable during action. During non-action, it was impressively smooth. The demo has just enough of Prey's gravity and portal games to whet the appetite. I look forward to a newer machine and seeing what the game really looks like.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#13 Sylvan

Sylvan

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Sweet...  the demo is pretty cool.  I liked the story, and the main character says some pretty funny things as he reacts to his environment.  The game ran surprisingly well on my trusty G4 (pushing 5 years old!), but kinda choppy when the bullets were flying.  If I had a newer machine I'd definitely consider picking this game up.

#14 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

So where's the Torrent gone, BC? I'm sitting in a swarm with everyone at 83% downloaded and there are NO SEEDS!

[UPDATE] It's back in business again :)

#15 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

good to hear the torrent is up again.
as it is, Im about half through downloading it from HTTP. sorry guys ;)
see you in the morning, when ill be playing it
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#16 rufwork

rufwork

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

Is there any reason the official sys reqs say G5?  Not only does it apparently debatably play on G4s well below the MHz req for G5s and Intels, there are a number of upgrades that hit 1.8+ GHz.

Are upgraded G4s simply a support nightmare?

Regardless, I'll applaud Aspyr for putting up reasonable sys reqs.  Seems like I've seen Glenda say this was something Aspyr (and then, perhaps Westlake?) keeps their eye on keeping honest.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

Well I can say that I'll be picking this up for my PB at some point--it's completely playable. Runs much better than Civ IV, ironically.

#18 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

Heh, I'm suprised at how well this ran, it even ran better than Doom 3, so kudos to Aspyr.

#19 mangoman

mangoman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:27 PM

View PostStopDropBurn, on January 13th 2007, 01:15 AM, said:

Heh, I'm suprised at how well this ran...so kudos to Aspyr.

Agreed. Running this on my Core Duo Mac Book Pro 2.16.

I don't give a rat's ass about silly 'puzzles' but this demo really sucked me in...Nicely done, Aspyr. I'll be buying this one for sure. Thanks! (Now back to good ol' UT2K4 for the night...)

#20 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:49 PM

I'll add in some more Kudos as well for the good job Aspyr has done on this. It ran well on my Mac and a hell of a lot better than it did on my PC Laptop. Yeah I know why I don't need help figuring that out (it's so damn obvious). Anyway.. I need to get me the full version now I want to complete the game! I would also like to try out some multiprey sometime but who knows if I will.

I don't know if it's just me though but this has happened ever since Doom 3. The mirrors and effects like fire effects in a pit show black garbage all over them is this a common issue running the game on a ATI Radeon 9200? Is there a fix (other than upgrading, that's out of the question).
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7