29 replies to this topic

#1 Greeger

Greeger

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

I was really disappointed with the representation of Mac games at Macworld this year. It seemed like the games pavilion was an after thought, shoved off into the corner. I hope this isn't a sign of anything. Last year the games area was great. Every game had a unit running it. Not only that but there were tournaments being held throughout the day on 16 G5s with 30" monitors.

I actually came to the expo hoping to be able to spend time browsing and playing these games. Instead I saw maybe 12 machines dedicated to the adult games, maybe another 12 for the kid games and then another 12 iPods setup to play iPod games. I real departure from last years 50+ machines setup for games I want too play. And its not because the games aren't there. Both the Aspyr and Feral booth were selling games that were not being shown on the floor.

I was also disappointed to see a couple game publishers not even show up. I don't think I saw Macplay or Blizzard represented at the expo. Two big names. I know there are more I am forgetting. I was really hoping to have a chance to see Burning Crusade too, since I won't be getting it right away.

Last year I bet the tournament was the biggest crowd drawer at the game area. Why didn't they bring that back? I even saw the people that ran the tournament working the Aspyr booth.

Not sure what caused this. My guess is that the organizers/Apple didn't have it in there plan. Hopefully something can be done to lift the games area back up next year.

Those are my main gripes about the games pavilion. Overall I think the show was lackluster.
Don't Panic

#2 (IDIC)Spock

(IDIC)Spock

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Where's the games pavillion? I didn't see any at all in South Moscone... was it in the north? In south all I saw was Freeverse and a little Aspyr stand with a sim game.

#3 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Apple is trying to provoke us. Stand firm in the faith my brothers!
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

games was in the North hall.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Greeger

Greeger

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, standing at the entrance to north hall the games area was in the back right corner.

I'm fairly certain Apple is getting mad at me for installing Windows two days before going to Macworld. I'm sorry Apple. Please don't do this! You caught me in a moment of weakness!

Eh, I'll still be there next year.
Don't Panic

#6 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

View PostGreeger, on January 13th 2007, 02:32 PM, said:

I'm fairly certain Apple is getting mad at me for installing Windows two days before going to Macworld. I'm sorry Apple. Please don't do this! You caught me in a moment of weakness!
Boot Camp is actually a tool to separate the true believers from the pretenders?  :blink:

#7 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

Woah woah woah.

None of this is Apple's fault.

This year IDG did the Games pavilion, not Apple.  And it shows.  IDG didn't even have freaking Mousepads for us!  You can bet we were peeved.  The guys at Apple helping the games pavilion were a huge help, but they were somewhat at the mercy of IDG.  Hopefully IDG will get their crap in order for next MacWorld.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#8 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

or just let Apple do it again?

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#9 fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

All I can say is get used to bootcamp, cause that will be where you get your game on. I said it way back when the Intel transition was announced, NOT because I want that, but because the writing is on the wall. Unless simultaneous release becomes the norm, or compelling  Mac-only content arrives, who is going to wait an extra year for a game they can play now? Seriously, my buddy is a die-hard mac game supporter, but even so, now that he doesn't have to wait, he's been buying more and more Windows games, and while he hasn't admitted it, I know he is buying fewer and fewer Mac games. We're all doing it. I haven't bought a Mac-game in about 20 months. Every new game I buy is either brand new, and not even announced as a port on the Mac, or it has just come out on the Mac and I have bought it for the PC for half the price.

Like I said way back when, I believe Apple's move to Intel may have been good for them, but it was the death-knell for the Mac game industry as a whole. Yes, some will survive, but the "huge" gaming section we got used to for a short while will not be there in the long run...believe me, I hope I'm wrong, but the last year doesn't give me any hope that I am.

#10 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

View Postfuzz_ball, on January 15th 2007, 02:12 PM, said:

All I can say is get used to bootcamp, cause that will be where you get your game on. I said it way back when the Intel transition was announced, NOT because I want that, but because the writing is on the wall. Unless simultaneous release becomes the norm, or compelling  Mac-only content arrives, who is going to wait an extra year for a game they can play now? Seriously, my buddy is a die-hard mac game supporter, but even so, now that he doesn't have to wait, he's been buying more and more Windows games, and while he hasn't admitted it, I know he is buying fewer and fewer Mac games. We're all doing it. I haven't bought a Mac-game in about 20 months. Every new game I buy is either brand new, and not even announced as a port on the Mac, or it has just come out on the Mac and I have bought it for the PC for half the price.

Like I said way back when, I believe Apple's move to Intel may have been good for them, but it was the death-knell for the Mac game industry as a whole. Yes, some will survive, but the "huge" gaming section we got used to for a short while will not be there in the long run...believe me, I hope I'm wrong, but the last year doesn't give me any hope that I am.

You make it sound like the majority of people who buy Mac games know what Bootcamp is and would be willing to use it, which I think is not the case.

#11 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

Bootcamp, bah.. I'd rather get a full fledged PC for PC Gaming and keep the Mac as a Mac so I can get a better video card than is offered on any Mac. As far as I'm concerned Apple is resting on their laurels as far as GPUs go.  :glare:
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#12 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on January 15th 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

Bootcamp, bah.. I'd rather get a full fledged PC for PC Gaming and keep the Mac as a Mac so I can get a better video card than is offered on any Mac. As far as I'm concerned Apple is resting on their laurels as far as GPUs go.  :glare:

I'm just trying to find any Mac game that actually uses a 512mb card. Quake 4, for example, is effectively a PowerPoint presentation if I kick it up to 'Ultra' and I've been assured that it's not so much that my X1900 can't handle it so much as that Quake 4 isn't expecting it.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#13 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on January 15th 2007, 01:09 PM, said:

I'm just trying to find any Mac game that actually uses a 512mb card. Quake 4, for example, is effectively a PowerPoint presentation if I kick it up to 'Ultra' and I've been assured that it's not so much that my X1900 can't handle it so much as that Quake 4 isn't expecting it.

Goes to show there's more to it than just VRAM. But yeah.. you'd think that it'd be enough for Quake 4 on ultra. I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere though but did you check and try changing the amount it uses in its CFG file? Anyway... I almost feel like Apple is not taking 3D Graphics seriously at all apart from what it takes to get the OS' effects going.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#14 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on January 15th 2007, 08:15 PM, said:

Goes to show there's more to it than just VRAM. But yeah.. you'd think that it'd be enough for Quake 4 on ultra. I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere though but did you check and try changing the amount it uses in its CFG file? Anyway... I almost feel like Apple is not taking 3D Graphics seriously at all apart from what it takes to get the OS' effects going.

I think it was mentioned in another thread but I can't remember where I read it now... :blush:

EDIT: It's kind of a simple thing to fix though, just searched for "256" will I found the video ram bit & changed it to 512. Will try that out now.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#15 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

Also a Doom 3 engine game not detecting and using 512MB VRAM when available is a bug and Aspyr should be aware of and fix it.  :nods:
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#16 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on January 15th 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

Also a Doom 3 engine game not detecting and using 512MB VRAM when available is a bug and Aspyr should be aware of and fix it.  :nods:

Anyway, tried it.

Either there's more to it than just changing that one figure or the X1900 doesn't cut it, because I'm still running a presentation rather than playing a game. :(

Actually, in general that auto-configure settings button (on Q4 + CoD2) is something of a joke: No matter what hardware I've tried it really likes 800x600 & medium. The Prey one works pretty well though..

Posted Image

#17 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on January 15th 2007, 02:04 PM, said:

Anyway, tried it.

Either there's more to it than just changing that one figure or the X1900 doesn't cut it, because I'm still running a presentation rather than playing a game. :(

Actually, in general that auto-configure settings button (on Q4 + CoD2) is something of a joke: No matter what hardware I've tried it really likes 800x600 & medium. The Prey one works pretty well though..

I think it's because of bugs there's no reason why your card shouldn't "cut it", IMO.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#18 fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

View PostAuron, on January 15th 2007, 07:51 PM, said:

You make it sound like the majority of people who buy Mac games know what Bootcamp is and would be willing to use it, which I think is not the case.

Point well made, but then again, the hardcore gamers (which I'm sure by more games than the casual gamer) are usually the type of people that a) know what it is and how to use it OR b) once they realize they could play <insert PC-only game here> right now, they would figure it out.

Is it enough people to be significant? I think so. From what I've read in the past, Mac game sales are not huge, hence why the prices start high, and remain that way. The publishers have a much smaller pool from which to recoup their costs and make some money. Take enough of the hard core gamers out of that pool, and it could be enough that the Mac game publishers just aren't making enough money to make it worth their while.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing much evidence to point to the contrary...

#19 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

View Postfuzz_ball, on January 16th 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

Point well made, but then again, the hardcore gamers (which I'm sure by more games than the casual gamer) are usually the type of people that a) know what it is and how to use it OR b) once they realize they could play <insert PC-only game here> right now, they would figure it out.

Is it enough people to be significant? I think so. From what I've read in the past, Mac game sales are not huge, hence why the prices start high, and remain that way. The publishers have a much smaller pool from which to recoup their costs and make some money. Take enough of the hard core gamers out of that pool, and it could be enough that the Mac game publishers just aren't making enough money to make it worth their while.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing much evidence to point to the contrary...

Mah, what do you define a hard core gamer ? I think you'll find that whom you'll define as one already has an XBox 720 or a PS 3.5 at home.

I've been steadily buying around 5-6 games every year, and even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have enough time to play more than that. So dealing with a second OS, maintaining it, and the trouble Windows cause to my mind is definitely not worth it.

Also I believe BootCamp's major interest is to run Windows only games, and that is bringing quite a few new users here on IMG, posting about windows games on their new Mac. So will you are right that some sales might be lost due to Bootcamp, more gamers are joining the platform, and probably buying a native Mac game once in a while.

I'd be more than interested though, in a poll on IMG to know the amount of games we buy in a year, what type, our interests...

Well that I am not sure. I am certain most mac gamers here know about Boot Camp and either tried it already or couldn't bother dealing with it.

#20 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

from the reports ive heard, Ultra and High arent all that different in the D3 engine.. perhaps give that a go?

as for getting it to use 512mb, I would check out the tweak guide over on macologist (search the forums). this would let you set other things to optimise the performance beyond just the VRAM settings (which I dont think do too much anyway)...