14 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

ASUSTeK will soon be releasing the XG Station, an external audio and video processor for laptop PCs equipped with an ExpressCard slot. The device will offer up to ten times normal graphics performance, simulated Dolby Digital surround sound for headphones, and USB 2.0 and DVI connectors. Engadget recently posted a report on the XG in action, noting a noticeable impact on game performance when installed on a stock laptop PC.

There is no word yet on whether or not the XG Station will be compatible with Macintosh laptops.

From Engagdet:

After attaching the external monitor to one of the XG's two DVI connectors, Asus let the gaming demo fly. The stock laptop struggled to keep up with the action with noticeably huge jumps in frames making intense game play a non-starter. The XG-equipped laptop, however, hummed along quite happily. Game play was smooth though a few frames were occasionally dropped. Surround sound is in fact simulated, which is both good and bad: the good is you get pseudo 5.1 surround from any headphones; the bad is you get pseudo 5.1 surround from any headphones. Verdict: the XG Station is ready to game as long as you don't expect it to perform like a dedicated gaming rig.
The XG Station is scheduled for release sometime in the second quarter of 2007. Click on the links below to check out a few pictures and learn more about the product.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

:huh:
Soooo what's the point of this? I'm not being a smart ass! Where would a Mac version fit in?
The MacBooks and MacMinis that are stuck with craptastic GMA 950 don't have express card slots... so that won't work. Is the XG Station be significantly better than the X1600 in current MBPs? Or would this be aimed at older PowerBooks so they can get a bit more GPU ooomph? Wouldn't older PowerBooks have insufficient CPU power to push the latest games?

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

not to mention they dont have the Express slot thingies...
overall, Id say that this is going to be pretty useless for mac users.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Yeah I can't see this being useful for Mac gamers. For PowerBook users like me, the real bottleneck is the CPU, not the GPU (not to mention there is no ExpressCard slot). Too bad the MacBook doesn't have one too, because this would be perfect.

Maybe a later version for the MBP when the x1600 becomes out of date would be useful, but that won't be for a while.

#5 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

View Postteflon, on January 10th 2007, 10:39 AM, said:

not to mention they dont have the Express slot thingies...
overall, Id say that this is going to be pretty useless for mac users.

Most laptops do.

#6 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

this thing is huge:
Posted Image

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

That looks like a mutated cross between a '70s appliance and a Star Trek gadget.  How...bizarre....

--Eric

#8 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on January 10th 2007, 05:27 PM, said:

this thing is huge:
Posted Image

Oh come on now, it just requires it's own freaking laptop bag to carry around. It's not like it is that massive. It's gotta weigh less than a laptop. Barely.
I had an aftermarket CD player in my old pickup that looked a lot like that. I wonder if the XG Station comes with a detachable face plate?  ;)

#9 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

That interface looks like something out of Star Trek.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#10 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:13 AM

fire truck. those bastards stole my idea :angry: i had it down to a tee. it would run through Express Slots aswell.

anyways life goes on :(

i think this is a great idea. it will sell well. very well. now all the Colledge Folk dont have to buy expensive laptops.
but looking through those Endgadget photos...this thing is a fire trucking Beast.But i couldnt care less. the thing im waiting out for is the Price.

Would it work on a macbook Pro under XP?

i think this is great tht this sort of device i have been Dreaming of(or planning, i couldve sworn they stole the Idea from me!) is now out there. i think it could become a very sought after device. i hope it goes big and cheap places through these coming years:)

has anyone found ant technical specifics yet? is it running on an Nvidea or ATI based GPU, how much Vram...Ect?

P.S. People bare in mind! see those Ugly little Asus laptops next to the thing. they are very small computers. i think there actually 12inch models. so dont get too scared its not that big!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

quick! patent it before they can!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

View PostRev-O, on January 10th 2007, 11:21 AM, said:

:huh:
Soooo what's the point of this? I'm not being a smart ass! Where would a Mac version fit in?
The MacBooks and MacMinis that are stuck with craptastic GMA 950 don't have express card slots... so that won't work. Is the XG Station be significantly better than the X1600 in current MBPs? Or would this be aimed at older PowerBooks so they can get a bit more GPU ooomph? Wouldn't older PowerBooks have insufficient CPU power to push the latest games?

Yes, it would be significantly better than the X1600, since you can basically put any video card you want in it. It's true that only the MBP can (theoretically) use it though.

View PostLemon Lime, on January 10th 2007, 07:27 PM, said:

this thing is huge:

It is, but it's not necessarily meant to be a portable accessory methinks, since you would also need to lug around an external monitor, which would dwarf the size of this anyway. This is more meant to be something to keep at your home desk or wherever so that you can play some games once in a while. That's certainly how I would use it, since I would keep an external monitor and keyboard/mouse for use at home.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#13 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

yeah excactly.

hang on so what your telling us...or are you? :huh: is that you can put any PCIe card in this thing?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#14 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on January 11th 2007, 07:08 PM, said:

yeah excactly.

hang on so what your telling us...or are you? :huh: is that you can put any PCIe card in this thing?

Yep. It ships with a 7900GS installed, but it's a standard PCIe slot, so you can install any card you'd like.

Of course, really high end cards would be a bit strangled by the ExpressCard interface...
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#15 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

when (if) this thing comes out for mac, if it+a MacBook=less than a MacBook Pro, then it may constitute buying one.