31 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Apple today unveiled the long-awaited and much-speculated iPhone, combining three products-a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, searching and maps-into one small and lightweight handheld device.

Here's more from the official press release:

iPhone introduces an entirely new user interface based on a large multi-touch display and pioneering new software, letting users control iPhone with just their fingers. iPhone also ushers in an era of software power and sophistication never before seen in a mobile device, which completely redefines what users can do on their mobile phones.

Phone is a revolutionary new mobile phone that allows users to make calls by simply pointing at a name or number. iPhone syncs all of your contacts from your PC, Mac® or Internet service such as Yahoo!, so that you always have your full list of up-to-date contacts with you. In addition, you can easily construct a favorites list for your most frequently made calls, and easily merge calls together to create conference calls.

iPhone's pioneering Visual Voicemail, an industry first, lets users look at a listing of their voicemails, decide which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without listening to the prior messages. Just like email, iPhone's Visual Voicemail enables users to immediately randomly access those messages that interest them most.

iPhone includes an SMS application with a full QWERTY soft keyboard to easily send and receive SMS messages in multiple sessions. When users need to type, iPhone presents them with an elegant touch keyboard which is predictive to prevent and correct mistakes, making it much easier and more efficient to use than the small plastic keyboards on many smartphones. iPhone also includes a calendar application that allows calendars to be automatically synced with your PC or Mac.

iPhone features a 2 megapixel camera and a photo management application that is far beyond anything on a phone today. Users can browse their photo library, which can be easily synced from their PC or Mac, with just a flick of a finger and easily choose a photo for their wallpaper or to include in an email.

iPhone is a quad-band GSM phone which also features EDGE and Wi-Fi wireless technologies for data networking. Apple has chosen Cingular, the best and most popular carrier in the US with over 58 million subscribers, to be Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the US.

iPhone is a Widescreen iPod

iPhone is a widescreen iPod with touch controls that lets music lovers "touch" their music by easily scrolling through entire lists of songs, artists, albums and playlists with just a flick of a finger. Album artwork is stunningly presented on iPhone's large and vibrant display.

iPhone also features Cover Flow, Apple's amazing way to browse your music library by album cover artwork, for the first time on an iPod. When navigating your music library on iPhone, you are automatically switched into Cover Flow by simply rotating iPhone into its landscape position.

iPhone's stunning 3.5-inch widescreen display offers the ultimate way to watch TV shows and movies on a pocketable device, with touch controls for play-pause, chapter forward-backward and volume. iPhone plays the same videos purchased from the online iTunes® Store that users enjoy watching on their computers and iPods, and will soon enjoy watching on their widescreen televisions using the new Apple TV™. The iTunes Store now offers over 350 television shows, over 250 feature films and over 5,000 music videos.

iPhone lets users enjoy all their iPod content, including music, audiobooks, audio podcasts, video podcasts, music videos, television shows and movies. iPhone syncs content from a user's iTunes library on their PC or Mac, and can play any music or video content they have purchased from the online iTunes store.

iPhone is a Breakthrough Internet Communications Device

iPhone features a rich HTML email client which fetches your email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos and graphics right along with the text. iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can be reading a web page while downloading your email in the background.

Yahoo! Mail, the world's largest email service with over 250 million users, is offering a new free "push" IMAP email service to all iPhone users that automatically pushes new email to a user's iPhone, and can be set up by simply entering your Yahoo! name and password. iPhone will also work with most industry standard IMAP and POP based email services, such as Microsoft Exchange, Apple .Mac Mail, AOL Mail, Google Gmail and most ISP mail services.

iPhone also features the most advanced and fun-to-use web browser on a portable device with a version of its award-winning Safari™ web browser for iPhone. Users can see any web page the way it was designed to be seen, and then easily zoom in to expand any section by simply tapping on iPhone's multi- touch display with their finger. Users can surf the web from just about anywhere over Wi-Fi or EDGE, and can automatically sync their bookmarks from their PC or Mac. iPhone's Safari web browser also includes built-in Google Search and Yahoo! Search so users can instantly search for information on their iPhone just like they do on their computer.

iPhone also includes Google Maps, featuring Google's groundbreaking maps service and iPhone's amazing maps application, offering the best maps experience by far on any pocket device. Users can view maps, satellite images, traffic information and get directions, all from iPhone's remarkable and easy- to-use touch interface.

iPhone's Advanced Sensors

iPhone employs advanced built-in sensors -- an accelerometer, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor -- that automatically enhance the user experience and extend battery life. iPhone's built-in accelerometer detects when the user has rotated the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display accordingly, with users immediately seeing the entire width of a web page, or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.

iPhone's built-in proximity sensor detects when you lift iPhone to your ear and immediately turns off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches until iPhone is moved away. iPhone's built-in ambient light sensor automatically adjusts the display's brightness to the appropriate level for the current ambient light, thereby enhancing the user experience and saving power at the same time.
iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007, and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac. iPhone will be sold in the US through Apple's retail and online stores, and through Cingular's retail and online stores. Several iPhone accessories will also be available in June, including Apple's new remarkably compact Bluetooth headset.

iPhone includes support for quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 EDR wireless technologies.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

Steve. You just told my wife what she's getting me for Christmas 2007. I know it. She knows it. Now you know it. Just pick the right UK network, dude - or it's going to cost us like a millionbillion pounds.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#3 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on January 9th 2007, 01:44 PM, said:

Steve. You just told my wife what she's getting me for Christmas 2007. I know it. She knows it. Now you know it. Just pick the right UK network, dude - or it's going to cost us like a millionbillion pounds.

Quite possibly the most impressive piece of hardware I've ever seen. I'm totally stunned by it.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#4 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on January 9th 2007, 03:50 PM, said:

Quite possibly the most impressive piece of hardware I've ever seen. I'm totally stunned by it.
Same here. I expected it to come up... I expected it to be kinda slick... I expected it to have an interface that I could easily see using... I expected it to be something that a lot of people would be willing to buy, even if I wasn't. As a shareholder, I'm ok with that.

I just wasn't expecting to be floored. Just from snapshots of the presentation, I can hardly believe just how incredibly slick it is in action. Despite my status as a firmly non-gadget-toting person, I'm filled with complete and utter techno-lust. Even with the price tag and exclusive carrier, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can get one when June rolls around.

Impressive indeed.

#5 kleinerbug

kleinerbug

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

"VERY NICE!!!...HOW MUCH?"

well i like it alot the only thng that i thought is that it would be more compact and more like a cellphone but thats more like a smartphone...but still i like it alot :D :D :happy:  

~Kleinerbug~

#6 Scerenon

Scerenon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Can it play games?

It has macosx right?  what about the ipod games?  the multitouch technology would make for some very interesting games i think, who needs a psp anyway.

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

Wow...that's like the gadget to end all gadgets.  The ultimate gadget of all time.  But I'm also not a gadget person; not even an iPod.  ;)  So I'm not really interested, but I hope it does well because it's really cool.

--Eric

#8 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'm wondering if the choice of a Beatles song as part of the iPhone presentation presages the announcement that the Beatles will soon be available on iTunes.   That would be almost as cool as the iPhone (actually cooler IMO, since I can't see myself plunking down the money for an iPhone anytime soon).

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

The interface and usability are almost beyond anything Apple has achieved to date. Beautiful. I can't wait until someone hacks together a Skype or iChat widget for it (or games).

"I'm wondering if the choice of a Beatles song as part of the iPhone presentation presages the announcement that the Beatles will soon be available on iTunes."

YES.

View PostScerenon, on January 9th 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

Can it play games?

It has macosx right?  what about the ipod games?  the multitouch technology would make for some very interesting games i think, who needs a psp anyway.

I will do my very best to get Unity folks on board and create some cool widget games for us all.  :nods:

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 kleinerbug

kleinerbug

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

the price is a little high for me...so i wont c myself holding one of these anytime soon...also because i am moving to a contry that will have the iPhone near the end of 2007...and the prices over there ar GIGANTIC...so nada for me

~Kleinerbug~

#11 lenn

lenn

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

I was all excited about the iphone until i saw the small storage sizes, price and 2 yr cingular agreement. Way to much money for something with only 4gigs of memory that's supposed to play videos and hold pics and songs. Also, i'll never sign a 2 year agreement with anybody ever again. Especially not a wireless company.
I sure hope apple releases a true video ipod in the coming months.

lenn

#12 Xavier

Xavier

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:27 PM

About this texting... can you actually text to another iChatter? Or is it the same as all other mobile phone texting?

Ya, I was a little disappointed about the space on the iPhone, but it does look like it has a slot for a flash card or something. I hope they up it to at least 15 gb. That would be the selling point for me. Enough space for my music and maybe a few movies, not to mention I can call my friends to tell them what i got ;)

Because really, I thought the point of the iPod phones was to have features of both. Not just a few movies maybe, and an album.
Moof!

#13 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

its not really ichat. its text messaging, but looks like iChat
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#14 Malfunkt

Malfunkt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

I think the reason the storage size is small is that it may be based on the same harddrive used for the iPod Nano.

That would be a good thing, as it is less volatile, and will be able to handle more physical abuse.

Clearly this is delibarate, as Apple has the ability to put large drives in small form factors.

But yeah, I WISH it had more room. But seriously cool nonetheless. I've even heard mumbling among loyal PC IT types in my office saying "this just might be the Apple product I'd buy..."followed by "does it run Mozilla?"

#15 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

its flash memory. they wouldnt even dream of putting a HDD in a phone...

there is a massive price hike on the parts cost. Apple always have a good 30% profit margin. The iPod Nano actually has a 100% profit on some models, and iPods run at 70% profit. As it stands, this will probably drop down in price when theyve got an audience for it, and theyll probably end up going really mass market with a more acceptable point.

I hope.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

I've never seen anything that seriously suggested that the profit margin on iPods was anything more than 20-40%, depending on the model.

--Eric

#17 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

It's quite possibly one of the best overall products I've seen announced.  It's also, unfortunately a halo device.  Even amongst the high end smart phone users, how many are going to be willing to shell out $600 for a phone, especially considering the state of the GSM network in the North America.

#18 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

Buying one.   Yep.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#19 NickMorgan19457

NickMorgan19457

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

It looks great. It probably runs great. But I'll never buy one. I like my iPod and my cellphone to be seperate devices.
When I'm stuck on the side of the road in the middle of a snow storm, leaning up against an upside down car, I want a cell phone that doesn't need to be charged every 6 hours.
I was really hoping they'd make a PDA that could rip the balls off every Palm and lil' windows device out there. Some kick ass, iPod white newton.

#20 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

View PostEric5h5, on January 10th 2007, 03:13 AM, said:

I've never seen anything that seriously suggested that the profit margin on iPods was anything more than 20-40%, depending on the model.

--Eric

these articles beg to differ.
in fact, they say apple makes more money than i did..

ok, ill give you one point cos you came from a different angle to me. I was coming from how much it cost Apple to build, and then profits on that, you must be coming from % of total cost.

View PostNickMorgan19457, on January 10th 2007, 07:49 AM, said:

It looks great. It probably runs great. But I'll never buy one. I like my iPod and my cellphone to be seperate devices.
When I'm stuck on the side of the road in the middle of a snow storm, leaning up against an upside down car, I want a cell phone that doesn't need to be charged every 6 hours.
I was really hoping they'd make a PDA that could rip the balls off every Palm and lil' windows device out there. Some kick ass, iPod white newton.

it is a Newton... essentially, it might as well be called the newton 2.0. this does everything a PDA does, everything a phone does and everything an iPod does. and better. fair enough that you want seperate devices though

and the 5 hours use thing is 5 hours of watching video, or 5 hours of going on the internet using wifi etc. etc. as with all mobile phones, the standby time is much longer (usually 2-3 days), and if you turn extraneous features such as bluetooth and wifi off it might last even longer...
its not clear if theres two batteries in there, so that phone features and music/video etc. features use up different batteries and ensure longer use as a phone...