8 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

The winners of the 2006 3DU Game Development Contest has been announced in the iDevGames forum. With only 30 days to create a new game and with cool prizes which included Unity Pro and ATI Radeon X1900xt graphics for the winner, over 25 developers submitted their creations.

1st Place: MegaPixel by Forest Johnson

Description: Abstract first person shooter made entirely with one texture. Play through several challenging levels of falling red enemies and bosses while collecting powerups and upgrades for six different weapons.
2nd Place: A Tack! by Matt Diamond

Description: Arcade shooter. Defend your sheet of paper from the scribbles of your mutinous writing utensils.
3rd Place: I Hate Clowns by Adam Mechtley & Matthew Wegner

Description: A fun physics game where you throw metal pies at ragdoll clowns. Take it, clowns.
Please follow the links below to learn more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Alright!  Unity swept the board!

#3 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

Ha! Watch me take 1st first prize next year with REALbasic! Muahahah!
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

How did I miss that Matt Diamond was entering a game?  I would have shown some support.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 3025 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 10th 2007, 06:07 PM, said:

How did I miss that Matt Diamond was entering a game?  I would have shown some support.

That's good- now I know that you didn't blackmail the judges into giving me good scores. :-)

The latest version can be found up at my website:
http://home.comcast....bin/A_Tack.html
A few improvements were made since the contest version, nothing major though. Also a Windows build. Hope you like.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

Cool!  I'll check it out tomorrow when I have some time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

And tomorrow has come and gone but I did download it and play it.  I was reminded of this from the post in the Episode 7 thread.

Basically it is a game I'd play, a shooter.  The rapid second shot from a hit is a good idea as is the ink and whiteout.  I would have suggested that you add some power-ups to it though to spice it up or to just make it more interesting.  Have you ever heard of a pushpin pig?  You take one of those pink elongated cube shaped erasers and stick push pins in it for legs, a tail, ears, and a snout.  It looks like a little pig.  You could have an eraser float by quickly and if you can hit it, you add a leg or a tail etc until it is completely constructed.  Once complete it can help you by licking up some of the markings.

Give me a momentary elevated rate of fire if I hit some special target, it only has to last for a few seconds.  It would be fun without completely skewing the difficulty.

Give me a pencil target that I should avoid or it will go berserk if hit.

Give me a crayon target that if I hit it will work for me, trying to push another marker off the paper without leaving a mark itself.

Stuff like that will help flesh out your idea and make it more fun.  Is it entirely too late to offer suggestions?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 3025 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

All suggestions cheerfully accepted and recorded. Development has paused for the time being while I work on a new project, but I'd like to get back to this one at some point.

Since I only worked on this game for the allotted 30 days of the contest, it doesn't have everything in it that I was hoping to add. Some of the features I had to cut:
- High score list
- Rubber stamp enemies: hopping up and down, stamping happy faces and other pictures
- Crayons, fountain pens etc, each with a distinct writing style
- show the rubber band firing the tacks
- scissors you have to dodge (makes sense if I'd shown the rubber band)
- arcade-style waves rather than the mostly-random behavior you currently see
- a "smart bomb" (a ruler or stapler or something that you throw that knocks all the enemies away)

A power-up for faster-firing makes sense. Perhaps it would be a stronger rubber band, or a really wide one that fires multiple tacks.

Instead of the crayon target you describe, maybe a rubber eraser?

Anyway, it's a rich idea with lots of room for expansion. I was very pleased to get 2nd place.

Thanks for giving it a whirl.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17639 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

Sure a rubber eraser.  I just didn't want to step on my push pin pig idea.  Maybe instead of a crayon it is a marker with the felt tip knocked off from a direct exact center hit.  eh... rubber eraser works better.

After you reach X score you have a "nuke" you can use to entirely clear the field once at the time of your choosing, a dictionary that you can slam down smashing everything good and bad.  Of course if you are smart you will only use it when there is nothing but bad guys on the board.  You can't use the dictionary again until you have reached another increment of the X score.

You need "natural disasters", like having a cat jump up on the desk to swat at everything, or a parrot on a perch over the desk dooing what parrots doo best.

You also need an air force of folded binder paper planes that can take out some pencils.  It could be a power-up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat