64 replies to this topic

#41 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Ari, sorry but me thinks that's slightley over the top. ;)

As you can read, a lot of people *can* play the demo, incl. me with a dying MDD
and someone even with a 875 Hz Mac.

Its not the demo but something on your mac's configuration.

But what? :blink:

Just don't judge the game by its demo.

Maybe it has something to do with Vise 3. Being a crappy installer, perhaps.

Would be nice if Ferral stepped in and offer some idea's.
Ferral?

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

Ari and Riko, is this install being performed on pretty much barebones versions of 10.4.8? no Toast, no plugins, no haxies?

i have noticed that it always works fine and dandy on outdated and below spec G4 computers. what i mean to say is that some G5s and intels dont like it. perhaps the solution is to get a cheapo G4 from ebay? ;)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

G5 1.8sp (revA) with 1.5 gig ram and 6800GT gfx card

No issues runs very very smoth no glitchs or anything.

Cannot wait to buy it.
Mac Pro powered...

#44 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Well the demo worked perfectly on my MacBook Pro - so much so I bought the game on Amazon the same day after finishing the demo :) It did have some technical glitches in the graphics, but nothing that bothered me. This is my first Mac game I've purchased since Command and Conquer Generals years ago. I'm 99% xbox 360/wii, but this is too good for when I travel.

Also I don't have haxies, but I do have Toast 7 and Parallels.

#45 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

Hello,
i think it's not us who have to solve this issue with the demo. It's a task for Feral to find out what's going on and why their demo is crashing on so much Mac's. I gues the demo crashes on almost 50% of the Mac's! Do we realy need to do a clean install and remove all the software which could might give a conflict? It's Feral who needs to find this out.

Anyway, my insidecontact at Feral is saying a lot is going wrong overthere at the time. The last year this company had a lot of changes inside.
Many nice, friendly and helpful people overthere are frustrated.

I agree that this game is very good and we must be glad that it camed to the Mac (even it's a bit late because of internal issues), but i think this demo is not ready and tested well. You realy need to be sure that the demo has runned on as much as possible Mac's before releasing it. And i mean not clean installed systems, but real life systems with a variety of software installed on it. Not in lab-conditions, but real life conditions.
That's why the concept of outside beta-testers is that good. As a company you need to build a database with good testers so you get some real life feedback before you release a demo or a game. The fact that the demo is crashing on so much machines is not us problem. It's a proof that something has gone wrong internal at Feral.

I realy hope they are going to use the feedback that we are sending to them. They can't expect from us that we install this demo on a clean system.
Al my other demo's and games never gived such problems and asked for troubleshooting my Mac's, not at that scale at least...

Kind regards,
Dokter_Mac

#46 dokter_mac

dokter_mac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

For the users who are having troubles with their Mac's after the demo-installation.
-Download the combo update 10.4.8 (If you have a PPC-Mac download the PPC-update! If you have a Intel-Mac download the Intel-upadte)
10.4.8 PPC Combo.
10.4.8 Intel Combo.

-Remove at /HD/Library/Receipts/MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.8PPC.pkg or MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.8Intel.pkg (You can trash it)

-Install the Combo update for your machine.

-After the install, restart your Mac and wait ... Some Mac's are going to restart 2 times, that's normal!

Your system and Finder should be stable again.

Kind regards,
Dokter_Mac

#47 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

View Postdokter_mac, on January 8th 2007, 12:42 AM, said:

Anyway, my insidecontact at Feral is saying a lot is going wrong overthere at the time. The last year this company had a lot of changes inside.
Many nice, friendly and helpful people overthere are frustrated.

if thats true, and dont think that im doubting you, then it really is a shame. Ive always liked Feral, and right as they step up to the plate, it seems everything goes wrong for them somehow... *sigh*

as for figuring out what the problem is, I agree that we shouldnt have to do it, but I think that we should do it so that as many people can play the demo as possible. I also dont think that this bug made it into the final game, cos weve not seen a single complaint of all the people that got it in the post. Though thats not saying much.
What I cant understand is what it is that peoples systems do to make this game go wrong, and I think it must be some kind of 3rd party software installed that is doing it.. but then again, i played the demo on the IG DVD, and it ran just fine for me, and ive got a lot of haxies and little bits and bobs stuck into my system...
What I also cant understand is how the demo from the IG DVD ran fine, and everyone that turned back time to get it to work had it work fine, and now this demo wont work for certain people...

Tomorrow, Ill download it, and see if I can get it to run fine on my system. Im quite happy to trouble shoot for people while I wait for my full copy to arrive...

as for doing the Combo update, only PPC machines will restart twice.
Once its done, could someone try and install the demo again, and see if it still has the same effect? it could, after all, be something to do with the way that Delta and Combo updates work...

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#48 SilverSunStreak

SilverSunStreak

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:11 AM

1.67 17 inch g4 powerbook 1.5 GB memory

Plays fine for me. All graphics turned up w/ 2x AA runs perfect. no glitches for me. guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :blush:

#49 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

View Postteflon, on January 7th 2007, 09:01 PM, said:

Ari and Riko, is this install being performed on pretty much barebones versions of 10.4.8? no Toast, no plugins, no haxies?

I have not installed anything like that or hacked my system - wouldn't even know how to do it. ;)

I noticed that in Terminal window the installation path looked a bit strange. Well, to me at least... I'm not at home right now and can't remember exact path, but what caught my eye was that there were both / and \ marks to separate the hierarchy of the path. However, I have no idea if that is a problem or not... :rolleyes:

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:16 AM

View PostAri, on January 8th 2007, 12:02 PM, said:

... that there were both / and \ marks to separate the hierarchy of the path.
Are you sure that the "\" are path separations? The shell uses backslashes also to indicate blanks in the path name. So when you have a folder named "pr0n Collection" it will show up in the terminal prompt as "pr0n\ Collection". The shell usually cannot handle spaces in paths, so when you enter a path with blanks, you either have to put it in quotation marks or put a backslash in front of the blank.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

No I'm not sure. And I can't check at the moment.
Furthermore, I'm virtually clueless about what the problem really is that the demo refuses to launch... :D

#52 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:09 AM

Try running it from the place it was originally installed to (Applications folder of your boot disk.)

I downloaded it to my Mac (Dual 2Ghz G5, Radeon x800, 2 G RAM, OS X 10.4.8). Installed it to the default location Applications because the installer doesn't let you change that. But I have good reasons not to keep large games in there so I moved it to my 2nd drive. When I ran it I got the options dialog, but only a black screen after that. Had to force-quit the game (Command-Opt-Esc).

Fortunately I hadn't yet deleted the Applications copy. Tried it, it now runs fine!

Since the demo appears to be a bit fragile, here are some suggestions for things to try.

1) Run it from the place it installs to by default.
2) Try repairing permissions on that drive.
3) Create a new OS X user and run the game as them, using the default OS X settings.
4) In general, don't put spaces in your hard-drive name. On very rare occasions something doesn't handle it properly. This even screwed Apple up once, many years ago.
5) Try different resolution, full-screen instead of windows or vice-versa.
6) If you get a crash rather than a hang like I did, the OS X crash log might tell us something.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#53 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

View Postteflon, on January 7th 2007, 08:01 PM, said:

i have noticed that it always works fine and dandy on outdated and below spec G4 computers. what i mean to say is that some G5s and intels dont like it. perhaps the solution is to get a cheapo G4 from ebay? ;)

I'm gone qoutte ari on this:

"I have not installed anything like that or hacked my system - wouldn't even know how to do it. ;)"

To be honest, I was surprised it even ran here.
sorry I can't help. :unsure:

#54 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

right... hmmm..

when you update your OS, did you use the delta update or the combo update?

#55 GDHM

GDHM

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

hey guys,

I did the combo update, and it didnt work out..was worth trying...
If someone wants the OSX Error Report, let me know, I'll give you the link.

grz

#56 Douglas

Douglas

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

I downloaded the Demo and it installed and worked perfectly..no crashes or problems of any kind at all.

Douglas

Mac Pro 2.66 GHZ Dual Core Xeon 1 Gig Ram Radeon X1900 XT Graphics
- 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 4GB ram, Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro & Vista, Nvidia 8800 GT
- 1.67 GHz PPC G4 Powerbook, 2 GB ram, 80 GB hd (OS X 10.5.8)
- 1 Ghz PPC G3 Blue & White, 1 GB ram, 320 GB hd (OS 9.1)

Playing - (Mac OS)  Bioshock, Battlefield 1942, Halo (Windows) Battlefield 2

#57 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:19 AM

youd be better off trying to send it to Feral.

#58 GDHM

GDHM

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:32 AM

View Postteflon, on January 10th 2007, 09:19 AM, said:

youd be better off trying to send it to Feral.
i did the first time it crashed, already...

#59 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

yes, but the more reports they get, the more likely theyll be able to narrow down on the problem and issue a 1.0.1 demo.

#60 David_Edmundson

David_Edmundson

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

Sorry to hear all you guys are having issues. I first heard of the problem when speaking to someone from macworld this afternoon, we've been rather busy so apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Firstly I'd like to say I don't think the comments here are representative of the number of people who have had a problem. If you have a problem you're more likely to post a comment on it. Please don't be discouraged by reading this and still try the demo. A lot of people seem to be having a great time and are really enjoying it.

A few people are asking why the demo installer is so large. The reason is because the demo now includes multiple languages. That support stretches into audio for the entire game, including the voice over on the tutorial, and some of the background radio. The audio is by far the largest part of the game, so adds up quite quickly when having to have multiple copies. It also explains why your installed size will be significantly smaller than that of the installer. Running an english and international version of the installer would be ideal, but this caused so much extra confusion with Imperial Glory that we decided against it.

The crash is quite concerning, and as yet we're not sure what the problem is. It would be helpful if anyone with problems could email your system reports and details of the crash to themoviessupport@feralinteractive.com
when we have lots of these we will be able to scan through these and search for a pattern. If you let us know, we can start to try and do something about it. It appears from the one report I have had that Installer Vise occasionally isn't copying accross the langauge specific components though I'm not entirely sure why. So far we haven't been able to reproduce the problem so aren't getting very far.

Once again, apologies for any inconvenience caused, I hope this matter can be resolved soon.

David Edmundson

Feral Interactive