Was going to buy an iMac - MacBook Pro instead?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

I dunno...Now I'm not so sure when I compare a 24" iMac and a MBP...

Twenty-four inches is huge...I could definitely use that much screen space...

But mobility might be nice too...

BTW, I'm in high school, but am taking college courses to get some general education (you know English 101, Speech, etc.) credits for college to lighten my load.  With that in mind, I am NOT taking ANY $2000 or more piece of equipment to my high school.  So maybe I should buy a 24" iMac now and buy a MBP (or whatever they're called then) in a year or two for four-year college.  It'd be better performance for college because it'd be newer, and then I could come home to an amazing screen.
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition (256mb)
400GB HDD
Miglia PCI TV tuner (crap)

Sold it on eBay to buy (soon) an:
iMac Core 2 Duo 24" 2.16 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 256mb
250gb SATA HDD
Elgato eyeTV Hybrid TV tuner

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

or more sensibly, get the 24" now, which should last you for quite some time, and then if you decide you need portability at college, get a Macbook. not pro. If its just going to be something quick and portable, then go that route.
BUT if youre determined to have a high powered laptop, and up to date tech, then go for a 17" or 20" imac, and get a MBP when the time comes.

Im guessing that theres not too much need for two high powered computers in your life.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

View Postteflon, on February 9th 2007, 06:33 PM, said:

Im guessing that theres not too much need for two high powered computers in your life.
good point...

Another option would be to buy a 24" iMac now, then sell it when I go to college and buy a MBP.
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#44 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:15 PM

OK, so after thinking about what to buy for a few days, I think that I've decided to buy the 24" iMac now.  That leaves me with a few options when I get to college:
Buy a MacBook (not pro)
Sell this iMac and buy a MacBook Pro
Keep this iMac and keep using my Palm IIIxe (upgrade would be nice) with its cool folding keyboard to take notes (maybe I would buy an iPhone...)

Now it's just a matter of how long to play the waiting game... :glare: :nods:
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#45 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

People don't use laptops for notes. Most my classes are math and science classes, and it is impossible to take notes unless you have a tablet. It is much more common to see somebody sitting in a lounge in an academic building playing WoW.

I've been playing around with KUbuntu a bit in VMWare, and plan to eventually buy a small <$250 used laptop or something, and install Linux for web browsing, IM, and word processing for when I'm out. For everything else, a desktop is a much better value in my opinion. Used Macs retail for too much, and KDE is much easier to use than the Windows UI. Ubuntu, like OS  X really does "just work."
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#46 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on February 26th 2007, 10:32 PM, said:

and it is impossible to take notes unless you have a tablet.
How about a ModBook from OWC and Axiotron?
ModBook
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#47 xcman22

xcman22

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

View PostDark_Archon, on February 26th 2007, 09:32 PM, said:

People don't use laptops for notes. Most my classes are math and science classes, and it is impossible to take notes unless you have a tablet. It is much more common to see somebody sitting in a lounge in an academic building playing WoW.

I've been playing around with KUbuntu a bit in VMWare, and plan to eventually buy a small <$250 used laptop or something, and install Linux for web browsing, IM, and word processing for when I'm out. For everything else, a desktop is a much better value in my opinion. Used Macs retail for too much, and KDE is much easier to use than the Windows UI. Ubuntu, like OS  X really does "just work."

My roomie uses KUbuntu, and he has had a lot of success with it.

#48 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

View Postxcman22, on February 27th 2007, 08:48 AM, said:

My roomie uses KUbuntu, and he has had a lot of success with it.
I might have to get a cheap PC box and try it.  Or, can a new Intel Mac run it?  If so, then I'll get KUbuntu for my iMac to try it.
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#49 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

^I am pretty sure the x86 version will boot just fine in the intel mac. Just hold down 'c' with the CD in during boot and it should run it.

I have had some fun messing around with the PPC versions though they are starting to drop PPC support, but I am hoping to find a cheap PC to get one of the Ubuntu offspring's to run. Kubuntu is my favorite of the bunch but the most power hungry of them, though no more then OS X or XP.

#50 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

I assume that KUbuntu is free, right?  And since it's Linux, it probably has really low system requirements, right?  What I'm getting at is: Could I buy a really inexpensive PC laptop and run KUbuntu on it instead of buying a new MacBook (pro or not, both are still fairly expensive)?
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#51 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

View Postjdmlight, on March 4th 2007, 03:19 PM, said:

I assume that KUbuntu is free, right?  And since it's Linux, it probably has really low system requirements, right?  What I'm getting at is: Could I buy a really inexpensive PC laptop and run KUbuntu on it instead of buying a new MacBook (pro or not, both are still fairly expensive)?

If Ubuntu or KUbuntu doesn't, XUbuntu would. They are all the same OS just with different GUIs and different application packages. Ubuntu comes with Gnome, Kubuntu comes with KDE, and XUbuntu comes with XFCE which is less graphically intensive.

I was able to run an Ubuntu live cd on my Mac Pro, but when I tried setting it up to triple boot, Ubuntu broke the MBR that Windows created, so neither Windows or Ubuntu booted.

#52 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

So I should look into Ubuntu, KUbuntu, or Xbuntu.

What I would be looking for in an OS other than Windows for a laptop for school:
A web browser of some kind, I like the Firefox/Safari interface
An email program of some kind, similar to Apple's Mail where I can check all of my accounts from one program
A word processing program, would be nice if it saved in MS Word's .doc file format

I don't think that's too much to ask for in an operating system. :P  This is why I could have a very basic laptop for school.  There's also the added bonus of: It's not worh stealing, as it's only worth around $300 (or less).
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#53 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

^If XP runs fine on the machine Kubuntu will run even better. Xubuntu is just for REALLY slow machines (pre ghz).

You can use FireFox for internet.
Thunderbird for e-mail.
Open Office or Koffice for word processing.

The newest version 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) is due out in April 19th and looks great. There is 6 months between each major release.

I would recommend dloading the live CD (no install required) and try it out for yourself on some x86 computer. I personally am trying to find a cheap computer to get it up and running on just to sort of mess around with and have a computer in my room.

While I don't recommend it over OS X, it really is a great operating system. But nothing can match the bells and whistles of a Mac like iLife.

#54 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

View Postjdmlight, on March 5th 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

What I would be looking for in an OS other than Windows for a laptop for school:
• A web browser of some kind, I like the Firefox/Safari interface
• An email program of some kind, similar to Apple's Mail where I can check all of my accounts from one program
• A word processing program, would be nice if it saved in MS Word's .doc file format
With that in mind, what kind of computer should I buy?  I am not experienced in buying older PCs (or PCs at all for that matter), so I don't know what I should need/want.  Here are the basics:
• What brand?
• How much RAM?  Is it better to buy a computer then get some cheap RAM and upgrade?
• How much HDD space?  Same question as RAM, is it cheaper afterwards?
• (important) How fast?  I know that Linux can run on slower computers, but I want to have a reasonably snappy startup time. (<2 min)
• Batteries.  How do I know what kind of battery life I will get?  I would like to be able to make it through a class. (~2 hours)

edit: I noticed that reallynotnick posted that if it can run XP, it will run KUbuntu fine.  Should I look for something that'll run XP then?
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#55 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

View Postjdmlight, on March 5th 2007, 09:00 PM, said:

With that in mind, what kind of computer should I buy?  I am not experienced in buying older PCs (or PCs at all for that matter), so I don't know what I should need/want.  Here are the basics:
What brand?
How much RAM?  Is it better to buy a computer then get some cheap RAM and upgrade?
How much HDD space?  Same question as RAM, is it cheaper afterwards?
(important) How fast?  I know that Linux can run on slower computers, but I want to have a reasonably snappy startup time. (<2 min)
Batteries.  How do I know what kind of battery life I will get?  I would like to be able to make it through a class. (~2 hours)

edit: I noticed that reallynotnick posted that if it can run XP, it will run KUbuntu fine.  Should I look for something that'll run XP then?
Yeah, anything that can run XP is fine. It needs a minimum of 256 MB of RAM, but more is always better. As long as you don't use any media stuff, 10 GB is more than enough HDD space.

In terms of speed, anything with a Pentium 4 or comperable AMD processor is fast enough. The problem with buying a used laptop is for good battery life, you will probably need to get a new battery, so find out how much they are. Higher quality hardware (Apple, IBM, SONY) resells for a lot more than lower quality hardware (Dell, HP).

Download a live cd and try it out on your current hardware to see if you like Linux before getting anything. A native install will run A LOT faster than a live cd, but you can get an idea of what is packaged into the OS.

#56 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

jdmlight to tell you what you need, you first need to make apparent all that you want to do with the system. If you just need an email, internet, word processing computer then well pretty much any computer with 256mb+ ram will do that for you.

I noticed your last system was a pretty nice rig (1.25GB ram, 400GB HDD, ati 9800, dual processor) and looking at those specs you must be doing something that requires that kind of power. And linux is not really know to be the multi-media power house like OS X or the gaming platform of a PC. So I don't want to recommend something that you are not going to be happy with.

Plus you said for awhile you wanted a MacBook Pro and now you want to go to a $300 PC laptop? Seems like quite a step down, why all the sudden the lower computing need? Maybe a new MacBook would just suit you fine, especially with Leopard, (iLife '07 I assume) and Santa Rosa all in the pipeline.

#57 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

The sudden jump from a really nice MacBook Pro to a sub-$300 PC laptop running Linux is because it wouldn't be my main computer.  My gaming/graphics design/Photoshopping/Lightrooming (Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is amazing software, BTW) computer would be the awesome 24" iMac.  I sold my old really nice computer (it was quite LOUD) to put towards a 24" iMac.  All I plan to do with this laptop is take notes, post on forums (like this one), and check my email.  Any other computing need I would save until I get home, then I'd just use the iMac.

I had a realization (with the help of Teflon's post) that I didn't need BOTH a 24" iMac AND a MacBook Pro.  I need one really powerful computer, and one portable computer.  I don't want a super-low-quality laptop, like a Dell (friend has one and it sucks) or HP (school has them and they suck).  I'll look for a Sony or IBM.  My only issue with IBM laptops is that stupid eraser-mouse.  Trackpads aren't a whole lot better, but they're not quite as annoying.

As far as the battery goes, I should just factor the price of a new battery into the cost of the laptop, right?  I would think that that would be smart anyway.

P.S. Besides, ANY PC/Linux laptop will beat my current "portable" - a Palm IIIxe with folding keyboard. :P

P.P.S. Would there be any chance that I could get a driver for my Logitech MX1000 mouse for any version of Linux?  If not, I can just use the right/left/scroll wheel, but that kinda defeats the purpose of an $80 mouse. :glare:
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#58 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

^That sounds like a really good plan if you ask me.

One of these must work for your mouse, just a lot of copying and pasting
Without doing anyting:"Most stuff on my mx1000 worked fine from install in ubuntu, all except the forward, back & task buttons"
http://www.thinkl33t...s-dapper-drake/
http://blog.aaltonen...0-under-ubuntu/

Really any laptop should be able to do what you want, just have to wonder about battery life.

#59 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

I run Ubuntu on a 266MHz G3 iMac and it runs well. Any modern (even low-end) PC laptop will fly it. I love Ubuntu's speed and would like to see OSX do slightly less eye-candy and more raw speed like Ubuntu. That'd be nice.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#60 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

So, here I am, inside Ubuntu on my G4.  I like it!  It's halfway between Mac OS X and Windows XP.  Where do I get plug-ins for Quicktime, Shockwave, and Windows Media?  I looked on the Firefox site, but didn't find any official ones (aka no Apple-branded Quicktime plug-in or Microsoft-branded WMP plug-in).  What do you recommend?

Also, is there any way to use Ubuntu at a resolution other than 1024x768 60hz?  It's rather annoying.  Do I have to actually install Ubuntu? Right now I'm running off of a Live CD.

P.S. I like this spell checker that's just sorta there and always working.
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD