Was going to buy an iMac - MacBook Pro instead?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 rob_ART

rob_ART

Bare Feats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

That's an interesting question.

If I had to choose, I would choose the MacBook Pro for its mobility. In fact, that's the choice I've already made. I not only take it with me everywhere outside my home, but everywhere within my home. I like being able to move from my office to the living room to the bedroom and still keep working.

One advantage of the latest Intel iMac is that it has a larger, faster hard drive. And for $200 less than a 17" MacBook Pro C2D, you can get the 24" iMac C2D with 2GB of memory and the optional GeForce 7600 graphics card -- much faster than the MBP's Radeon X1600.

If the mobility isn't important and you can only afford one Mac, the iMac has the edge.
rob-ART morgan
mad scientist
BareFeats.com

#22 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:41 AM

View Postrob_ART, on December 31st 2006, 12:16 AM, said:

If I had to choose, I would choose the MacBook Pro for its mobility. In fact, that's the choice I've already made. I not only take it with me everywhere outside my home, but everywhere within my home. I like being able to move from my office to the living room to the bedroom and still keep working.
That's what I figured that I would like about having a laptop.  But, if I were to get an iMac of the same price, it would be the 24" iMac (sweeeet!).

Mobility...more prettier pixels...mobility...more prettier pixels...

If I were to get a MBP, I would have to get one of those notebook lock things and a case (most likely just a sleeve to give it some padding in my backpack - don't need a whole new backpack).  Anyone have an idea as to which of these are best?
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition (256mb)
400GB HDD
Miglia PCI TV tuner (crap)

Sold it on eBay to buy (soon) an:
iMac Core 2 Duo 24" 2.16 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 256mb
250gb SATA HDD
Elgato eyeTV Hybrid TV tuner

#23 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

View Postjdmlight, on December 30th 2006, 10:20 PM, said:

Yes, it would be a good idea, but I want a powerful portable, not a powerful desktop and an average portable.  I want to be able to "take notes in class"  ;).  (This is Inside Mac Games, right?:lol:)  It'd also be nice to have more power during class in case any teachers assign a project that's a poster or involves Adobe CS2 (CS3 soon) in some way.  (That includes making awesome PowerPoints - another reason that I want a laptop.  Then I wouldn't have to convert every slide to a JPEG and drop it in PowerPoint, making quick, last-minute updates much easier and faster.)

Not that I'm trying to change your mind or anything, but back in the day when I had my TIBook 667, I never had any problems with file conversions and that was with a much less powerful machine. Photoshop worked fine for me.

I like Sumo and Marware sleeves. I had a Marware case/sleeve and it lasted me over 4 years (sold it w/ my Powerbook). Its solid and even have a strap hookup too.
Timbuk2 also makes some nice ones as well, but it depends on if you want something flashy or more simple.
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#24 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

I'm looking for a simple sleeve that will essentially be a layer of foam around my laptop - I don't want anything flashy or expensive (unless it has better protection or is more durable, then I will pay more).

It's not that I have any problems with file conversion - the PC's at school choke on the conversions if I don't do it perfectly.  I was trying to say that if I were to give presentations using my laptop, I wouldn't have to convert each slide to an image file because my computer would have all the plugins/fonts installed.  Then if I need to make a last-minute change (found a typo, realized that I needed the teacher's name on it, found out that a fact was wrong, etc.), I don't have to go into InDesign, change what I need to, export it as an image file, delete the image file on the slide in PowerPoint, and insert the image file that I exported; I could simply make the change in PowerPoint.  This would be much faster.  Also, since we don't have InDesign at school, I would be able to make changes closer to when the presentation is to be given, rather than having to be at home to change anything.

P.S. Happy New Year!
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#25 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

I don't know if this would help but here is NeoOffice, it can do some PowerPoint stuff.
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/15797

It supports PowerPoint files, but I doubt that helps at all. I am just so confused on your whole delema.

If you are happy with your current 733mhz then the MacBook Pro, will be leaps and bounds ahead of it and you will be very happy for it's portability. If you get to use your computer a lot in school, then a laptop is the only way to go.

#26 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

A little clarification:
• I currently am using a 733mhz G4.  I was using a dual 1ghz G4 that I sold on eBay to help finance a new computer.
• Presentations (using PowerPoint - it's powerful, even though it can be a pain) would be easier from MY laptop than from the PC's at school, due to the fact that I use Adobe CS2 to enhance my presentations.  The school does not have Adobe CS2; thus, Adobe CS2's files aren't supported at school.
• My school will let me use a laptop during class - even with free WiFi.
• I am considering a MacBook Pro over an iMac for its portability and essentially no loss of speed.
Does that help?

Also, I am considering the Brenthaven Edge II for 15.4 inch MacBook Pro.  It works as a sleeve, providing a lot of protection.  It also got 4.5 stars on the reviews at the Apple Store online, the only complaint being that it doesn't have extra pockets to hold things.  As stated above, I would most likely be putting this case in a backpack that would have space elsewhere for charger, mouse, etc.  So, I think that this would be an excellent choice for a case for me.  I also like the case's styling.  Comments?
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#27 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

Okay I am looking at this as well and Cannot choose between a Macbook Pro 17" or 15" with the 256meg
gfx card. Or iMac 20" ATI x1600 128 meg or 24"  from the refurb apple store.

question is about the gfx cards does the 7600 128 meg compare to the ATI one in the Mac Book pro or 20" iMac.

choices to many arrrr
Mac Pro powered...

#28 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

if youre going to be moving it around, avoid the 17"..
in fact, I would never buy the 17" as i find it a silly thing, itd be much better to get a 20" iMac and save yourself a bundle of money.

the 7600 is quite a bit faster than a X1600.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#29 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:16 AM

View Postteflon, on January 4th 2007, 05:55 AM, said:

if youre going to be moving it around, avoid the 17"..
in fact, I would never buy the 17" as i find it a silly thing, itd be much better to get a 20" iMac and save yourself a bundle of money.

the 7600 is quite a bit faster than a X1600.

Ah but is a 128meg 7600 in the 24" iMac going to be okay for games on that size screen....
Mac Pro powered...

#30 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

View PostDisc, on January 4th 2007, 08:16 AM, said:

Ah but is a 128meg 7600 in the 24" iMac going to be okay for games on that size screen....
Judge for yourself: BareFeats Hi-Res shootout
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#31 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

View Postehuelga, on January 4th 2007, 07:45 AM, said:

Judge for yourself: BareFeats Hi-Res shootout

Ah the 256meg gfx card one is the one to buy period only 10 frames max behind the macpros...

plus the 24" screen :)

right credit card armed and ready to spend!
Mac Pro powered...

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

View PostDisc, on January 5th 2007, 05:21 AM, said:

right credit card armed and ready to spend!
Make sure it is set to single shot and not full automatic or you'll wind up buying everything around it too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

lol :lol:

I wish I could afford the 256mb MacBook Pro 15"...
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#34 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

Is there anywhere cheaper than $1799 (plus 7% sales tax to 60510) that I can get a MBP?  Overall price is what I'm looking for, a.k.a. includes shipping, tax, and any other fees.  Also include any other bonuses (like I get a free printer at the Apple Store).
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#35 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

It is about $2000 at amazon, but there is a $150 mail in rebate, free shipping, and no tax, which brings it down to $1850 total.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#36 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on January 9th 2007, 11:51 PM, said:

It is about $2000 at amazon, but there is a $150 mail in rebate, free shipping, and no tax, which brings it down to $1850 total.
That's about $75 difference between the Apple Store (w/tax) and Amazon.  However, I get a free $100 printer at the Apple Store.  Maybe I should just stick to the source.  It seems to be the cheapest.
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#37 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

If you a Mac a bit cheaper go for a Refurb via the Apple online store bottom right....

It has a year warrenty on it and you can get apple care if you want it.

My G5 is a refurb no issues at all.
Mac Pro powered...

#38 jdmlight

jdmlight

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, refurbished is awesome.  I bought my iPod refurb'd from Apple and saved $120.  The only problem is that their stock changes daily, so if you're considering a computer today it might not be there tomorrow.  I will definitely consider refurbished.

Hmmm...MacBook Pro...24" iMac...MacBook Pro...24" iMac...
Computer was a:
Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz
1.25GB RAM
400GB HDD

250gb SATA HDD

#39 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

I read your thread about buying an Imac and also this one abot a Macbook Pro. Let me tell you about my own experience.

I have the 2,33 GHz C2D / 2 GB / 256 MB VRAM / 120 GB HD 15" Macbook Pro. I'm a university student. Currently I'm writing my thesis, and when I go and work at school I don't want to sit in the noisy computer rooms on their PC:s or Unix machines :-).

My old computer was a 800 MHz Ibook G3 12" from November 2002. It started to feel slower and slower withh Adobes apps and also had some hardware problems. I knew that I wanted a new laptop, since it had been really useful to easily being your computer wherever you need it - for presentations, some LAN gaming at a friends house, making quick changes in a web site in real time when discussing the design at the client's office, at long car trips... you name it!

The Macbook was out of the question since I wanted to be able to play games. I had a hard time to decide if I should take the cheapest MBP or the middle model. I am glad that I chose the middle model right away, even though it felt a bit too expensive at the time of purchase. The 2 GB RAM helps a lot when I do some web development with apps such as Golive CS, PhotoshopCS (rosetta apps = memory hogs) and Parallels Deskotop (to check out the web site in Internet Explorer) and various browsers running at the same time. The 256 MB of VRAM is probably good when I boot into windows and play Battlefield 2142 on highest graphics settings - 256 MB is the recommended amount on the box. I doubt that I will ever notice the speed difference of 2,33 GHz vs 2,16 Ghz. The only problem I have is that I am starting to run out of HD space. My Windows partition is 32 GB, and my Mac partition is eaten up mostly by applications. I only have 5 gigs of music and not many movies at all. Still I only have 7 GB left.

My advice would be: if you don't need the power of the Geforce 7600GT card in the Imac and think that you will have use of a portable computer: go for the middle MBP!

An if I was buying an Imac, I would probably wait for new models. The current ones are starting to get "old". With some luck, the 20" models will get an acceptable graphics card for gaming.

EDIT: I play mainly BF2142, not BF2 as I wrote earlier, even though the latter game works great, too. Other quite demanding games such as Oblivion run well enough for me. I don't doubt that the day will come when the graphics card won't cut it anymore, but I hope that I will be finished with my studies, have a job, and afford a new Mac by then ;)

#40 xcman22

xcman22

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

As someone who has been going through a somewhat similar situation as you - which Mac to get? - I'll shall share my own experience, which is opposite of Maccer's.

I graduated from college about 2 years ago. I was using an iMac DV until it blew up in 2002. Then I got a 733 G4, which is what I have today. Within the next 2-3 months, I will be buying a new comp, and I was trying to decide if I should get a laptop. However, I have decided against it, mostly because my job doesn't require me to travel or justify ever using a laptop, and the general mobility of a laptop doesn't seem to justify the cost for me. Yeah, it would be pretty cool to go everywhere with my Mac, but what would be even cooler would be a 24-in iMac with an upgraded graphics card and 2 GB of RAM for close to the same price. As you have already mentioned in this thread and the other one, performance-wise its no contest-you'll get more for less with the iMac. The ONLY reason to get a MacBook Pro over an iMac, in my humble opinion, is for the mobility. For me, that's not a good enough reason. For you, however, it certainly might be, especially if you are still in college.

That being said, my best friend just bought the low end MacBook Pro, after using an iMac DV for 6 + years, and he says it is AMAZING. He is pretty computer savvy, so when he says something is AWESOME, it ususally is.

Let us know what you finally decide to do. I know that all these posts have only helped me get closer to a decision as to what new Mac to buy.