dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

Looking for some feedback from anyone who has the mac version of IG.  I've got an itchy feeling.   :)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:50 PM

therell be a demo out this week at some point. My guess is Friday (dont know why).

so you can get a go on it then... I also got the impression that the Movie's demo will be out at the same time, but dont hold me to that.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

View Postteflon, on December 5th 2006, 07:50 PM, said:

therell be a demo out this week at some point. My guess is Friday (dont know why).

so you can get a go on it then... I also got the impression that the Movie's demo will be out at the same time, but dont hold me to that.

True, I saw mention of that here on the boards.  I'll definitely try it.  But, the Civ4 demo from Aspyr was buggy, not allowing a fair read on the full install.  Different company, I know, but... .

#4 Fundin

Fundin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

I got this coming for Xmas, be nice to try a demo b4 then :) looks very good though hopefully someone will buy it and post what its like :)

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

Having too much fun with 1701 via Boot Camp but will grab the Mac demo of IG when it hits MGF.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

Wasn't the demo supposed to be out early this week?

#7 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

"early" means by the end of the week.

#8 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

View PostTimmy, on December 8th 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

"early" means by the end of the week.

Or in this case next week.  :D

#9 Pnin

Pnin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

Just came in the mail and I am installing as I type. I'll let you know later. There seems to be a demo of The Movies on the disc...Hmmm...

#10 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

View PostPnin, on December 8th 2006, 07:42 PM, said:

Just came in the mail and I am installing as I type. I'll let you know later. There seems to be a demo of The Movies on the disc...Hmmm...

And..... .

#11 Lord Heavy

Lord Heavy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

View Postdojoboy, on December 9th 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

And..... .

Received my copy this morning (thanks MacGamesStore! :) ) and I think it's excellent - after just an hour!

The game is much deeper than I was expecting, with the combination of tactical land battles, grand strategic management and the added bonus of the ship-based combat. The graphics are excellent. It's running on max-everything on my dual 2.7 G5 with a stock 9600 - not low-spec I know, but not a flicker none the less. I'll try it on my MacBook for comparison to a newer but lower-spec machine.

I think that history or wargaming buffs will love the real-life units and attention to detail, and I'm looking forward to properly getting to grips with the selection, command and navigation interface to try out some period tactics. Personally I've always wanted another game along the 'realistic' fighting lines of the old Close Combat games (or even Myth dare I say it!  :bleedingeyes:), and as a history fan it's ticking all the boxes so far.

People familiar with these kinds of RTS games won't have any issues, but for an old FPSer like me it's all a bit daunting at first. I've been put off many of this kind of games in the past, but even though it's got 'building' in - something I've never been a fan of per se - it looks like it's not too overwhelming, and in any case you've always got the instant action option.  ;)  :D

The only minor niggle is that the tutorials are so basic - you really don't learn anything about more complex orders or more importantly tactics. I think this means I'm ...      

going to have....      

... .  to

READ THE MANUAL!

Gah.

:cool:
Mac Pro Quad Xeon Intel 5100 2.66ghz|2gb RAM|nVidia 8800GT 512mb|4 x 250gb  SATAII
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz|4gb RAM|Intel GMA 950 64mb|80gb SATA

#12 Pnin

Pnin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

and...

played the tutorial, tried a quick battle ( I was quickly crushed). No "issues" with graphics turned up most of the way on my 2 ghz Powermac (ATI 9800). No crashes. Overall it seemed like a rock steady port, as opposed to my initial impressions of AOE III. That said, I jumped back into AOE III 'cause I'm hooked on that one, trying to get Seville up another level. By the way, the Movies demo is a demo of a "The Movies" icon, because there is nothing there. I guess the actual demo didn't make the cut before the release of Imperial Glory. I figure between imperial Glory and AOE III I'll will be busy for months to come. It will take some of the sting out of not getting HOMM V to play on my PPC. I still have my fingers crossed about EAW.

#13 Fundin

Fundin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

I've just ordered this, got a Imac 1.8 with 1.2gb of ram so we'll see how it fares on a lower spec machine, will let you know.

#14 ibookworm

ibookworm

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hey all,

I ordered the game when it shipped, without realizing that the system reqs had been bumped up since I last checked. Consequently, I'm trying to run the game on the 1.33 mhz PowerBook G4. It runs. . .  but it is really, really choppy, even with graphics way down. I've played enough to see how sweet the game is countering a French cavalry flanking maneuver with an infantry square and my own cavalry and saving my army from being overrun was incredibly fulfilling but I don't think I can keep playing without tearing my hair out in frustration at the chop. It'll probably end up on ebay, since I don't see a mac upgrade in my forseeable future.

By the way, there is a demo of The Movies on the Imperial Glory disc, but when I try to open it it says, "Sorry, this version has expired." What's up with that?

#15 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

View Postibookworm, on December 10th 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

Hey all,

I ordered the game when it shipped, without realizing that the system reqs had been bumped up since I last checked. Consequently, I'm trying to run the game on the 1.33 mhz PowerBook G4. It runs. . .  but it is really, really choppy, even with graphics way down. I've played enough to see how sweet the game is countering a French cavalry flanking maneuver with an infantry square and my own cavalry and saving my army from being overrun was incredibly fulfilling but I don't think I can keep playing without tearing my hair out in frustration at the chop. It'll probably end up on ebay, since I don't see a mac upgrade in my forseeable future.

By the way, there is a demo of The Movies on the Imperial Glory disc, but when I try to open it it says, "Sorry, this version has expired." What's up with that?

Whats the Graphics card in your powerbook?

#16 Cain

Cain

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

Any word on when the demo is being released?

#17 Fundin

Fundin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

View PostCain, on December 12th 2006, 08:08 PM, said:

Any word on when the demo is being released?

Not yet, lets hope they don't take as long as they releasing the game  ;)

I bought it rather than wait, seemed to be quicker that way.

#18 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

You can try the demo now. ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#19 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

oooooh... clever. howd you do that?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#20 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

for some reason that page seems to have disappeared.