27 replies to this topic

#21 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

I got a copy of Vista Business through my school, and before I install it, I have a few questions.

Can you install it directly through Boot Camp?

Where do you go for drivers?

Edit: Vista installed fine, but I'm stuck at 800x600 resolution with 4 bit colors.

Windows installed GeForce7300 GT drives in an automatic update, but they don't seem to do anything.

To make everything better, about 20 seconds after opening internet explorer, I get a message stating that it has stopped working. After many attempts, I was able to get to the Firefox site and download it.

Other than the screen resolution problems, the biggest annoyance is all the system popups. Whenever you do anything, a popup appears asking if you are sure you want to do that.

While Vista works through bootcamp, I'd suggest sticking with XP if you need windows.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

I just read a PC World Vista article that indicated that if your using 1GB RAM or less that the 32 bit version of Vista ran faster  than the 64 bit version and that the Aero graphics system if turned off might provide better application performance. It also said that if running 2GB RAM, the performance advantage of the 32 bit system vanishes as compared to the 64 bit system. I don't know much, but my impression is that Aero is the application that controls all of the gee-wiz graphic effects on the Vista desktop. This sounds directly applicable to trying to run Vista vis Boot Camp.

PCWorld Feb 07

Has anyone installed the Vista 64 bit system on a Mac?
Thanks!

#23 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

So in regards to Vista/DX10, I'm confused about the graphics card upgrade path. My understanding is that at the moment, Nvidia is the only company with a DX10-compatible GPU on the market. Undoubtedly, ATi will have DX10 cards out very soon (if they don't already).

So what does this all mean for my Mac Pro/X1900 XT running Boot Camp? Obviously, I can't install a PC-only DX10-compliant card in my Mac without getting into ROM-flashing gymnastics (which I don't want to do). Does this mean I have to wait for ATi or Nvidia to release a Mac-compatible card that is also DX10 compliant on the PC side? This seems a highly unlikely scenario, which means my X1900 is as far as I can go, without buying a PC.

Clarification on this matter would be very appreciated.

Atticus
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#24 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

View PostAtticus, on March 20th 2007, 01:27 PM, said:

So in regards to Vista/DX10, I'm confused about the graphics card upgrade path. My understanding is that at the moment, Nvidia is the only company with a DX10-compatible GPU on the market. Undoubtedly, ATi will have DX10 cards out very soon (if they don't already).

So what does this all mean for my Mac Pro/X1900 XT running Boot Camp? Obviously, I can't install a PC-only DX10-compliant card in my Mac without getting into ROM-flashing gymnastics (which I don't want to do). Does this mean I have to wait for ATi or Nvidia to release a Mac-compatible card that is also DX10 compliant on the PC side? This seems a highly unlikely scenario, which means my X1900 is as far as I can go, without buying a PC.

Atticus

The nVidia 8x00 series are the only available DX10 cards until ATI finally cough their X2xxx series up. They were supposed to be ready around now, but have been pushed back.

You don't actually have to have a DX10 card to run Vista though, so you could do it with your current rig. It means you won't have access to all the eye-candy, and will have to run and DX10 games without all their graphical goodies turned up (unless they don't offer a fallback to DX 9).

So if you want to use DX10, yes you will have to wait until there is a compatible card for the Mac, but you can use Vista prior to that.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#25 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

That's what I figured. I've just been curious as to why I haven't yet seen the Mac/Mac gaming press address the issue of a Mac/DX10 compatible GPU for the Mac Pro line. But I suppose this impacts about 1% of the 1% of the 7% of Mac users out there, in other words, me and maybe one other guy in New Jersey.

Peter Cohen, where R U?????

Atticus
Who makes the Battle Cat add his own non sequiturs
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#26 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

View PostAtticus, on March 20th 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

That's what I figured. I've just been curious as to why I haven't yet seen the Mac/Mac gaming press address the issue of a Mac/DX10 compatible GPU for the Mac Pro line. But I suppose this impacts about 1% of the 1% of the 7% of Mac users out there, in other words, me and maybe one other guy in New Jersey.

Peter Cohen, where R U?????

Atticus

Right now DX10 actually affects very few users - most PCs being sold do not have high end nVidia cards in them, and since those are the only compatible GPUs (there aren't even any mid-range or low-end parts right now) , most folks don't have access to all the features anyway. There are also zero games out that take advantage of the new API, so the only thing that anyone is missing out on is some of Vista's GUI features (though given the lack of installed hardware base, I suspect that Microsoft has made it mostly backwards compatible).  Given that Macs are always behind the curve when it comes to the latest hardware, and the fact that it's really not a big deal to not have DX10 hardware right now, I doubt people will talk much about it until it hits the mainstream a little more on the PC side (though the usual whiners hard-core fans will still ask why it wasn't in every Mac model as of yesterday).
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

View PostAtticus, on March 20th 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

Does this mean I have to wait for ATi or Nvidia to release a Mac-compatible card that is also DX10 compliant on the PC side? This seems a highly unlikely scenario, which means my X1900 is as far as I can go, without buying a PC.

Atticus

I flashed a PC card for use on my Mac once and it worked quite well, but that was for use  on Mac programs. I understand the hesitance if your thinking of Windows/BootCamp and the inevitable driver issues that will arise...

I think you'll have to wait for the card makers to make Mac-compatible cards are are DX10 complaint. I don't think it is an unlikely scenario as ATI produced a 9800 PRO (my current card that stands up very well) that seems all most identical (if not identical) for the PC and the Mac. And now with everyone knowing about Boot Camp I'd say a DX10 compliant card for the Mac is highly likely as that's what everyone will be making anyway.

#28 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:09 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 3rd 2007, 06:40 PM, said:

I just read a PC World Vista article that indicated that if your using 1GB RAM or less that the 32 bit version of Vista ran faster  than the 64 bit version and that the Aero graphics system if turned off might provide better application performance. It also said that if running 2GB RAM, the performance advantage of the 32 bit system vanishes as compared to the 64 bit system. I don't know much, but my impression is that Aero is the application that controls all of the gee-wiz graphic effects on the Vista desktop. This sounds directly applicable to trying to run Vista vis Boot Camp.

PCWorld Feb 07

Has anyone installed the Vista 64 bit system on a Mac?
Thanks!

I got more RAM, and successfully installed the 64 bit version of Vista(32 bit Vista only addresses 2 GB memory directly, supposedly it can use more for the OS, but not programs). This time, there were no graphics driver problems(there is a note in Apple's Boot Camp readme stating that Mac Pros need 2+ GB RAM for graphics to work).

My machine scored a 4.3 with scores of:
Processors:4.9
RAM: 4.9
Aero Graphics: 4.3

Game Graphics: 4.4
Hard Drive Access: 5.4
For some reason I scored lower on Aero performance than I did on game graphics performance, but the 7300GT really is a problem. If I had some money, I'd like to go with a better card. I'm unable to find a reasonably priced PC x1900XT w/ 512 MB of memory(there are articles on flashing the ROM and getting them to work in OS X and Windows).

I would imagine the bootcamp drivers wouldn't work, seeing as they are 32 bit, so I haven't tried them. I installed the most recent NVidia drivers, and sometime I will look for Realtek  audio chipset drivers so I can get the onboard sound card working, but as of now it isn't a problem because I use USB speakers. The network interface card was automatically supported by Vista.

Oblivion runs a bit slow, but still playable on medium settings at 1280x800(I think). I would imagine the XP performance would be better, but again, my graphics card isn't exactly cutting edge.

For some reason, while idling, Vista uses 33% of my RAM.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive