80 replies to this topic

#41 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:52 AM

I would certainly go for the "release Intel version as soon as possible and have PPC patch later even if it costs extra" thing.  Of course, I assume you know you'll get idiots yelling about how "I bought this game and it doesn't run on my Mac WTF Aspyr sucks!!!!11!11" no matter how clear you make it that it's Intel-only initially and are prepared to deal with that.  :)  As long as the porting to OS X itself is the hardest part it seems feasible to me, though I wouldn't expect PPC versions continue forever or anything.  (Then again, someone actually released an OS 9 compatible game this year, though I forget what it was....)

--Eric

#42 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

i think its the wrong time for something that is intel to start with and then Universal...

first up, most PPC users will simply see the intel only sign, and be turned off. Even if Aspyr have released a patch for it, theyd have to do another production run of the game to get it right...

in the future, when most people are intel, if the game gets ported and then theres an outcry for a PPC version, and its feasible, then Aspyr might do it, but I think that now is the wrong time.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#43 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

View Postteflon, on December 9th 2006, 08:32 AM, said:

but I think that now is the wrong time.

Aspyr has already said they expect several Intel-only titles in 2007.  So now is the right time, for those titles anyway.  It's either that or nothing.  And they only have to do one run...just a note saying that a PPC patch may be available for download later.  There isn't much retail presence for Mac games so I don't see that as a big deal.  Especially since downloading patches can be more or less mandatory occasionally anyway (e.g., Civ IV unfortunately wasn't particularly playable out of the box for lots of people).

--Eric

#44 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:18 AM

Eric5h5 I'm sure if you owned a PPC mac like the vast majority of users still, you'd feel differently. YOur opinion is swayed by your circumstances!

/Slap!*

#45 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

View PostWhiteSavage, on December 9th 2006, 11:18 AM, said:

Eric5h5 I'm sure if you owned a PPC mac like the vast majority of users still, you'd feel differently. YOur opinion is swayed by your circumstances!

/Slap!*
Exactly.

Those of us who have PPC Macs tend to fall into three categories:

1.) Our PPC Macs are still quite powerful and meet our needs.
2.) Bought a PPC Mac just prior to the release of Intel Macs.
3.) Waiting for less buggy "version 1.1" Intel Macs.

Whatever the case, Intel Macs have not even been around for a year and having companies like Aspyr to release Intel ONLY apps is a pretty painful slap to our collective face...

If this was late 2007 or early 2008, ALMOST 2 years since the release of Intel Macs, THEN it would be a different story as computers today only seem to last at most 3 years before it's considered obsolete anyway...

#46 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

View PostWhiteSavage, on December 9th 2006, 12:18 PM, said:

Have you not been paying attention to this thread at all?  I do own a PPC Mac and have no intention of buying an Intel Mac any time soon, as I made quite clear.  Aspyr has also made it clear that they will be releasing Intel-only games fairly soon, and it's still possible that Empire at War might be one of them.  If there's still a way to get a PPC version, I'll take it, even if it's not as convenient.  It's either that or nothing.  It's called "being realistic."

--Eric

#47 the_cloudgazer

the_cloudgazer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

I just thought of something else.

Another reason not to make Intel only games too soon.

I'm guessing EaW will need a decent gfx card to play.
So, that excludes all the intel minis sold this year.
And, what about the macbooks - will they be able to play EaW?
If not - that just leaves the Pro users. And the market can't be huge enough yet.
Which, means it will be a long time before anybody can play the game.

This game HAS to be PPC compatible. It just has to.

It makes no sense not to be.

#48 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

View PostRed Guard, on December 9th 2006, 11:56 AM, said:

3.) Waiting for less buggy "version 1.1" Intel Macs.

Funny. I haven't encountered any problems with my iMac.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#49 Guest_Red Guard_*

Guest_Red Guard_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:15 PM

View Postthe_cloudgazer, on December 10th 2006, 10:44 AM, said:

I just thought of something else.

Another reason not to make Intel only games too soon.

I'm guessing EaW will need a decent gfx card to play.
So, that excludes all the intel minis sold this year.
And, what about the macbooks - will they be able to play EaW?
If not - that just leaves the Pro users. And the market can't be huge enough yet.
Which, means it will be a long time before anybody can play the game.

This game HAS to be PPC compatible. It just has to.

It makes no sense not to be.
Actually Aspyr has stated that they are working hard to make sure EAW will work with MacBooks and Mac minis. Judging from EAW's PC system requirement, which only requires 32 MB VRAM, I don't see MacBooks and Mac minis having too much trouble running the game as long as it's on the lowest settings.

View PostPegasus, on December 10th 2006, 03:28 PM, said:

Funny. I haven't encountered any problems with my iMac.
Good for you.

Go brag to the numerous others who's had problems with their new version 1.0 Intel Macs, including my own mother who bought a brand new MacBook only to have it randomly shut down on her until we had to end up sending it back to Apple to get it fixed...

#50 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

View PostRed Guard, on December 10th 2006, 09:15 PM, said:

Go brag to the numerous others who's had problems with their new version 1.0 Intel Macs, including my own mother who bought a brand new MacBook only to have it randomly shut down on her until we had to end up sending it back to Apple to get it fixed...

I had an issue w/ my Intel iMac shutting down - now and then -  when waking up, but an update released by Apple specifically for that issue cleared it up.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#51 sduf

sduf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hm.  I've no plans to get an intel mac right away - waiting for the second round of releases before I jump as well.  My upgraded quicksilver serves me well so far.  Although it's irritating to see that intel-only stuff is in the pipeline already like it or no, somehow that just won't be much of a shock.  How many years have I watched games I want come and go on pc's...now it will be watching them come (and go?) on intel-macs.

Has anyone hard data on how many G4, G5 and intel macs are out there?  Would be interesting to see...

#52 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Okay, I'm ready.  Start the shipment.  :D

#53 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

View Postsduf, on December 11th 2006, 05:23 AM, said:

Hm.  I've no plans to get an intel mac right away - waiting for the second round of releases before I jump as well.  My upgraded quicksilver serves me well so far.  Although it's irritating to see that intel-only stuff is in the pipeline already like it or no, somehow that just won't be much of a shock.  How many years have I watched games I want come and go on pc's...now it will be watching them come (and go?) on intel-macs.
It's happening! I've just seen a problem where a bug fix resolved a problem on an Intel game version, but it still fails on PPC. I somehow doubt whether there will ever be a release to fix the PPC version :(

#54 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

I admit that owning an Intel Mac creates a pretty big bias for me, such that I don't really care what direction Aspyr takes (and I can definitely appreciate the huge reduction in effort that comes with not having to port to a different architecture, which is what the move to Intel has promised from the beginning) though I would argue that I never thought buying a PPC Mac with the intention of playing games was a good idea. The frequency of ports was surprisingly high at times, but never enough to satisfy a more serious gamer. There were always tons of games slipping by under the radar - even major AAA titles.

So, as has been mentioned in this topic, the issue for me becomes, why should I buy the Mac version? And many of these issues are completely outside Aspyr's control, unfortunately. With the Windows version, I get a) half the price, b) quicker and easier available of patches, mods, and expansions, c) significantly better performance, (thanks to Apple's OpenGL implementation and/or ATI's Mac drivers) and d) greater ability to play multi with my PC-owning friends (the worst is when a port isn't cross-platform networkable, but lack of mods and patches can play into this as well), not to mention ability to install on my (somewhat aged) PC. I don't even mind Boot Camp that much, because it means less distractions when I'm doing work in OS X.

I recognize that these circumstances don't apply to every gamer or every game, but I basically see the Windows version as half the price, much more value. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to dual boot (especially to such a lame OS as XP), but I just don't feel very much incentive to buy the Mac version of a game right now.
Wii: 7762 0905 3090 1582 SSBB: 2578 3375 6256

#55 Pnin

Pnin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

...and apparently there isn't much incentve to "port" games to the Mac, all because of the switch to Intel. My bias, as an owner of a prefect capable G5 PowerMac, is of course that abandoning owners of machines like mine is premature, shrinking further the market for these games. I also consider it somewhat a "betrayal of trust", as implicit with these porting houses was a compact that I would pay extra for their efforts in porting the best games to the Mac OS. EAW and HOMM V could have been ported for the PPC and a choice was made not to. When I get my Intel based Mac in the next year or so I will remember this and choose my game purchases accordingly. I expect soon to walk into the local Mac store and not see a single game, and things don't appear to bode well for this web site, which I have enjoyed for many years.

#56 LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

I honestly wouldn't mind the premium if I got the same product as I got buying the Windows version, but that's just so rarely the case.

There's already an expansion out for EAW, and I have to wonder if that's going to be ported as well? Yes, a lot of expansions are lame, but they are just as often almost requirements for multiplayer.
Wii: 7762 0905 3090 1582 SSBB: 2578 3375 6256

#57 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

Anyone downloaded the demo?  Thoughts?

Matt

#58 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

I did, played the first tutorial.  Very nice, so far.  I'm glad I've got it preordered.  Unfortunately, I could've used this sooner since my spring break ends Monday.  :(

#59 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

View Postdojoboy, on March 22nd 2007, 02:46 PM, said:

I did, played the first tutorial.  Very nice, so far.  I'm glad I've got it preordered.  Unfortunately, I could've used this sooner since my spring break ends Monday.  :(

So for those who have played the demo, how do you win the space battle?
Seems that you can build a few units, but you then quickly reach the limit of how many units you can support.  Take them into the asteroid system and you get smoked.

Am I supposed to just repeat this a few times, or is there some way to expand the # of units?  (didn't see much else I could build)

Thanks,
Matt

#60 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

i believe the max number of large starships is 20. this isnt expandable.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor