24 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

Demo's out kids!

http://www.macgamefi....php?item=19353

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#2 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

Blast! I was too slow. :P I wanted to testplay before posting, so at least i beat you there.

It's very nice, too. The music is not exactly what I expected, but it works. I totally love the look of the game and how enemies will leave smudges after destroying them. The boss fights are interesting, too. It harks back to the classic shoot-em-ups in style, and I like it! I'm definitely going to register this one. :)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#3 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Dang, here I thought I'd be the first one to post this.  I've been anxiously awaiting this one for a long time - actually just thought about it this afternoon (wondering if it would be out before Defcon).  Anyway, its up on Ambrosia's homepage as well:
http://www.ambrosias.../sketchfighter/
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

Yes! Finally! :D

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Very cool.  Downloading now.  Looking for something to fill those lonesome seconds between online chores.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:16 AM

that, my friend, it will...

good game... ill be buying it properly soon(ish)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

Each to their own... but Ambrosia's simple action games seem far more appealing then their larger releases such as Redline, El Ballo or GooBall. I will be registering this one for sure and still anxiously await a Universal Binary of Barrack. Bring out more simple arcade games!

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#8 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

i couldnt agree more.

However, I quite liked GooBall. It was Super Monkey Ball, but for the mac, and with a few little twists all to itself... And I really like Super Monkey Ball.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

Ugh.  I am not getting used to the control scheme.  Come on Sketchfighter, let me aim and shoot with my mouse!  Give me sidestep/strafe buttons!  Gimme gimme! ::whine whine & cheese::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

The controls are a little too over-sensitive for my taste.  I play these sorts of games with the X-Arcade joystick, which works, but it's a little more fiddly than it should be, I think.  Other than that it's pretty cool.  On a decent sound system (like mine), some of those explosions are kind of hard on the ears...but in a good way....

--Eric

#11 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

Like it. Not sure yet if I'm gonna buy it, but like it. Love the style and flavor of it... but I'm concerned that it is quickly going to become repetitive.

#12 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

View PostEric5h5, on December 1st 2006, 03:21 PM, said:

The controls are a little too over-sensitive for my taste.

I'm having the same problem. I keep overcompensating and missing the first boss.

So far it's not grabbing me that much. I wonder if it picks up later on. On the upside, the look of the game is really neat.

#13 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

View PostEric5h5, on December 1st 2006, 11:21 PM, said:

The controls are a little too over-sensitive for my taste.  I play these sorts of games with the X-Arcade joystick, which works, but it's a little more fiddly than it should be, I think.  Other than that it's pretty cool.  On a decent sound system (like mine), some of those explosions are kind of hard on the ears...but in a good way....

--Eric
controls are fine here but I don't like the graphix

thumbs up for the originality, thumbs down for the number of colors

ok for the design style, but why in black & white ?

..... will try it again. It was just a "quick and fresh download" analyzis   :P

#14 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

View Postbismilah, on December 1st 2006, 06:34 PM, said:

ok for the design style, but why in black & white ?

Because it's pen on paper? :crazy:

#15 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

Why not black and white? Paper is white(generally) and pencil is black.(generally)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#16 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on December 2nd 2006, 03:42 AM, said:

Why not black and white? Paper is white(generally) and pencil is black.(generally)
Thanks for reminding me

but the game is an asteroids-like game and not a game which purpose's is to draw things

I have read a lot of reviews before it was released and I knew I would not like it

just a matter of personnal taste, not bashing on it   :nods:

#17 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

<acknowledging the unfair mini-review having just played the demo levels  :cool: >

I adore the style and appreciate how thematically unified the game is as the aesthetic carries through the menus, the in-game elements, and all the functionality. Even the draw-in at the beginning of each level (or after each death) is brilliant! Good show. The sounds effects and music were both great too, especially that hilarious klaxon for low shield strength.

However, I found the gameplay rather dull. It's too stop-and-go without enough flow.  The best arcade games don't reward the player for being cautious but for being bold. Sensitive controls don't help much here either. Could be just personal preference but I find the inertia-based gameplay in stuff like Solar Jetman (NES) or even Ambrosia's own Malestrom (!) far more engaging, particularly in this era of physics-based gameplay.

Huge kudos on the included Editor though. I might register this game if I hear that the end-users are making more interesting (or just action packed?) stuff than "find the red beam, open the door," but I'm worried that the only other quest structures I see in the editor are "beat the clock" and "collect stars."

EDIT: HA! Just played mutiplayer! Brilliant cooperative, though a bit weird as competitive.

</acknowledging the unfair mini-review having just played the demo levels>

#18 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:04 PM

Played a bit of it. I not a fan of it's simple pen and paper design. The controls aren't that good to begin with. :bleedingeyes:
What is a man?

#19 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on December 1st 2006, 07:48 AM, said:

Ugh.  I am not getting used to the control scheme.  Come on Sketchfighter, let me aim and shoot with my mouse!  Give me sidestep/strafe buttons!  Gimme gimme! ::whine whine & cheese::

I agree; a mouse-driven interface would be a lot easier to use, particularly given how twitchy the controls are.  I keep killing myself on the walls, for goodness sake.

Of course, if I could aim with a mouse it would be way too easy without a ton more enemies, so I suppose keyboard only has its good points (nice nostalgia factor, too).
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#20 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

View Posthambone, on December 1st 2006, 09:04 PM, said:

Could be just personal preference but I find the inertia-based gameplay in stuff like Solar Jetman (NES) or even Ambrosia's own Malestrom (!) far more engaging, particularly in this era of physics-based gameplay.

As if the game isn't difficult enough than to worry about where one is going to float off to. I don't get why people moan about the controls. I have no problems with them. The only nice addition would be the ability to strafe, as tBC suggested.