151 replies to this topic

#21 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

I'll tell you the best weapon for taking down a bear: military issue assault rifle.  ;)
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#22 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6142 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:20 PM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 20th 2006, 10:07 AM, said:

Well, the main reason I'm debating on a Glock 17 is its high quality and simplicity.  I guess I don't want a gun specific to stopping bears, instead, something that I could take to a local firing range and become proficient in.  I want a 9mm for low recoil and medium stopping power.  Price for one is around 600 bucks which is a little high on a standard service pistol.

Have you actually shot the weapon though? The best thing I think you could do is head down to a range that has a lot of 9mms available for rent and just go through several of them and find the one that fits you best. That's what I did back when I was trying to decide what weapon to get. I had pretty much decided on a USP .40 from stuff I'd read on the internet... however, a day of shooting trials and now I'd never buy a USP. Hate the ergonomics, didn't care for the gravel grip one bit, DESPISE the weird trigger feel, recoil was jerky and not smooth... I ended up getting an M9 instead. While I already liked it, renting a 92 brought out the fact that it was the most accurate (at least for me), fit my hand the best, and had the smoothest recoil of all the pistols I tried. Bought one and never had second thoughts once. Just as an aside, I was also really impressed with the Sig P226.

You might find that a Glock works great for you, and if it does, fantastic. But better to make sure than shell out on one and then find you hate the recoil or the way it sits in your hand, or something else.

I'll also give a plus to a couple of tBC's comments. A safety with a trigger and firing pin disconnect is the best way to go in my opinion. That way no matter how many times you pull the trigger, or how hard you smack the hammer, or if the hammer is released, or you drop the weapon on concrete, it won't go off, because it can't go off. Yet it's ready to go with a flick of the thumb. I've seen cops carrying 1911s with the hammer cocked and man... I would not do that, period.

Ease of stripping the weapon and maintaining it is also a huge plus. Taking down my Ruger Mark I is a pain in the ass and a half every time I have to do it, for example. It's complex, difficult to take apart, and next to impossible to do without at least one tool. My M9 on the other hand I can completely strip in under 5 seconds and put together again in under 10 with no tools. Just because a pistol is an autoloader doesn't mean it has to be overly complex or aggravating to take care of, and since that's something you'll be doing often if you want to maintain your firearm, ease of maintenance should really factor into your purchasing decision as well. That goes for rifles too if you ever buy one... one thing I loooove about the AR-15 is I can do a field strip on it in seconds with just my hands, and a complete strip in a minute or so with just a couple small flat head screwdrivers. Compared to the stripping process for gas piston rifles like the AK-47 or our M249 or M240 support weapons, it's a dream.

View Postteamturbo_2000, on November 20th 2006, 10:07 AM, said:

Holy popsnizzle, hahaha. Reminds me of these two: and http://youtube.com/w...?v=kczzwFFJ-bo.

View PostBlackshawk, on November 20th 2006, 11:09 AM, said:

I'll tell you the best weapon for taking down a bear: military issue assault rifle.  ;)
So where exactly did the Roman Legions have you deployed again? ;)
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

View PostFrost, on November 20th 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

Holy popsnizzle, hahaha. Reminds me of these two: and .
Now this reminds me of the time my boss let me shoot his 10 gauge magnum shotgun.  I was firing it from my shoulder, shooting empty whiskey bottles that were scavenged from the bar he owned.  We were standing on a 150 foot high cliff throwing bottles high over the side, sort of like redneck skeet shooting.  One guy toss, the other guy shoot.  I missed 1 out of 10 bottles but every damn time I fired it knocked my glasses clean off my head and threw them on the ground behind me.  They were those glasses with wrap around arms too, with a grip curling over the top and around behind my ears.  My shoulder was really sore the next day even though I was forcing the butt into my shoulder for firing.  It just beat the crap out of me.  A few years later my uncle told he he never fired his 10 gauge magnum from the shoulder.  He would take it duck hunting and fire it up at the ducks with the butt resting against the seat in the boat.  If I hadn't fired that gun myself I wouldn't have understood why he would do that, but having been mule kicked 10 times in the shoulder, I see his point.  It probably would have rolled me out of the boat!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

So where exactly did the Roman Legions have you deployed again?
The pine forests of Colorado.   :P  I did kill a few snakes with an assault rifle though.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#25 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

I own 2 beautiful Benelli shotguns for yearly pheasant hunting.  On the other hand, I don't own any handguns although I've shot them dozens of times at the range.

I'll also give a plus to a couple of tBC's comments. A safety with a trigger and firing pin disconnect is the best way to go in my opinion. That way no matter how many times you pull the trigger, or how hard you smack the hammer, or if the hammer is released, or you drop the weapon on concrete, it won't go off, because it can't go off. Yet it's ready to go with a flick of the thumb. I've seen cops carrying 1911s with the hammer cocked and man... I would not do that, period.

I agree with you there.  I wouldn't walk around with a cocked hammer.  

Also - Many revolvers have no trigger safety, or any for that matter.  Kind of goes in with the simplicity.  I also watched a man at a shooting range field strip his Glock in 5 seconds.  Takes apart in 2 pieces, 3 if you count the barrel.  Very easy and it took about 10 seconds to put back together.
My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

#26 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

I can neither confirm or deny that I possess any firearms.

Maintenence is crucial however.

Do not use WD-40 on firearms.

Even tho WD-40 is a lubricant, it is more of a penetrant - it allows moving parts to wear excessively.

I visited the cabin of a biker friend of mine back in 1992. His biker buddies were there too. They brought along a beat up suzuki motorcycle, set it up in the local quarry and proceeded to shoot with 1,500 rounds of various calibers. They were Harley fanatics... poor suzuki.

#27 yo-mike

yo-mike

Livin' in 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

View PostHapa Hanu, on November 20th 2006, 10:52 PM, said:

I can neither confirm or deny that I possess any firearms.

Maintenence is crucial however.

Do not use WD-40 on firearms.

Even tho WD-40 is a lubricant, it is more of a penetrant - it allows moving parts to wear excessively.
I visited the cabin of a biker friend of mine back in 1992. His biker buddies were there too. They brought along a beat up suzuki motorcycle, set it up in the local quarry and proceeded to shoot with 1,500 rounds of various calibers. They were Harley fanatics... poor suzuki.
Yes, gun oil is very necessary. Cleaning, etc.
If I ever got a "gun", I'd prefer an Uzi. And make it a snub nose if possible. Due to legality State by State laws and local laws vary for this hot potato pistol/rifle whatever you call it. Oh, yes it is a rifle.
The Uzi just seems to be the best choice of fire arms. Especially in this day and age. IMHO.
An Uzi site

AMD Phenom II X4, Win 7 64

Kubuntu Rocks Better

#28 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6142 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:15 AM

Pfff, Uzi. That's so 1970's. ;)

Get yourself a B&T TP9. Uzi on steroids. Basically Brügger & Thomet bought the rights to the fantastic TMP from Steyr, improved the design, and is re-releasing it. The full auto capable MP9 is for police and military, and the semi-auto TP9 is available to the civilian market. Not sure if it's actually hit dealers just yet (brand spanking new product), but it's quite tasty and quite awesome.

Also, speaking of gun oil... you guys really should ditch oil and silicon based products. I'm gonna put forward a plug for Sentry Tuf Glide (applied with a Sentry Tuf Cloth). It stays on much better than regular oils, lubricates better, lasts longer, doesn't gunk up your weapons' internals over time, and most of all, it does wonders for keeping corrosion far away from the metal. I use it on all my firearms, and even the humid as hell Houston climate doesn't get to them (can't say the same for off the shelf gun oil).

Sentry Solutions Website

Best combo from my experience: Hoppe's #9 nitro solvent to clean, Tuf Glide to lube and protect.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / TITAN Xp 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 2001) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Micron M600 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#29 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:57 AM

just a question but, what do you guys actually use your firearms for? expecially the real fast automatic ones?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#30 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

Protection, and it's a good skill to have.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

I use my .75 Cal. MA-75B Battle Rifle ( with integral 40mm grenade launcher) on invading slaver space aliens.  If I'm under water, alien goo, or lava I use the KKV-7 10mm SMG Flechette.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 30th 2006, 04:03 PM, said:

I use my .75 Cal. MA-75B Battle Rifle ( with integral 40mm grenade launcher) on invading slaver space aliens.  If I'm under water, alien goo, or lava I use the KKV-7 10mm SMG Flechette.

Who seriously uses a Flechette for anything?

#33 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

To kill those evil Phfor! Though online it can wreak havoc on WSTE_M users.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#34 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

View PostAskilfeasd, on November 30th 2006, 05:06 PM, said:

To kill those evil Phfor! Though online it can wreak havoc on WSTE_M users.

Sorry, I need to clarify. Who uses a flechette rifle IN REAL LIFE?

#35 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

Real life? You outta' your mind?

Seriously now, I can't imagine a use for it, perhaps tBC knows...?

#36 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

I don't want Them to know that I know what flechette rifles are used for.  ;)

But as far as cannons go, in Vietnam we used flechette canisters fired out of 105mm and 8 inch cannons as an anti personnel weapon.  We were overrun one night by sappers, bound with rags so they wouldn't bleed, but with thousands of flechettes fired out of a cannon at point blank range it didn't matter if you didn't lose a drop of blood.  What was left of you looked like it was ready to be breaded and fried and served with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#37 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • 6142 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on November 30th 2006, 01:57 AM, said:

just a question but, what do you guys actually use your firearms for? expecially the real fast automatic ones?
Fun, self-defense, I'm sure some use 'em for hunting (Speaking for myself, I only hunt men, not animals). My main reasons are for the purposes of collecting, as well as having a boatload of fun every time I go out to the range.

As far as fast automatic weapons go, I can guarantee you no one here has any of those. They've been illegal for civilians to own in the US since the National Firearms Act of 1934. The only way to get an automatic (or a suppressor, or a rifle or shotgun with barrel shorter than 16" for that matter) is to jump through a million hoops, get permission from your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (usually the Sheriff), get photographed and fingerprinted, and pay a bribe tax to the ATF, then wait for ATF approval which can take months and may not even come through. And then you abide strictly by their laws governing usage and transport of NFA-covered weaponry or you go to federal prison. Automatic ownership is only for really serious collectors.

Eric5h5:

#38 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, I like going to the range to blow up watermelons and stuff.  I usually draw a big happy face on them before blasting them.

Speaking of automatic weapons, check out this Glock 18 video.  It's basically the same thing as a 17, just full auto capability.  Perfect for SWAT entry with bullet proof shield.  Reserved for tactical police units and is almost impossible to buy for the general public.  I don't even think standard officers walk with this weapon.  Most cops use Glock 21s, Barretas, etc..

My Setup
2 Gigs Ram

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17567 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hard to see because of the low resolution, but was he even hitting those targets?  At one point he almost walked up to the target, and I saw a hit then.  I'd be very interested to see a high resolution version of this.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:29 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on November 30th 2006, 08:13 PM, said:

Hard to see because of the low resolution, but was he even hitting those targets?  At one point he almost walked up to the target, and I saw a hit then.  I'd be very interested to see a high resolution version of this.

Yeah, if you're firing a gun like that, you can probably shoot.  So my best bet was that he hit what he was shooting for.  He was in very close proximity.  Keep in mind that the holes would be tiny since he's hitting paper targets.
My Setup
2 Gigs Ram