16 replies to this topic

#1 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:56 AM

I understand the release date was yesterday or somesuch. Who bought it? How does it play on your machine?

edit: Just placed an order for this game. Should be in my hands soon(ish).

#2 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:40 AM

I wish I had pre-ordered it. You could only get the limited edition by pre ordering and the Australian edition is super special I hear.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#3 MadM@

MadM@

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

I've got it running on my pee cee.. I'd imagine your gonna need a hefty spec machine to run it with all the goodies turned on.  As for gameplay, I've not had much time on it, yet!
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
SOLD :'-( Dual 2.5Ghz G5, 1.5Gb RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 160gb HD
Shameful: AMD/X2-4600, 4Gb RAM, NVidia 8800GTX, 74Gb 10000rpm System HD, 250Gb storage HD

#4 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

Keep us updated, I'm rather interested in this game.

#5 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:00 AM

Installed it, and now am playing my first Grand Campaign as England. Compared to RTW, obviously the graphics are a lot better, however I had to turn a lot of things to Low so that it wouldn't skip frames as much (I'm on a MBP 15" 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, Radeon Mobility X1600). Turning many of the details to Low doesn't mean the visuals look poor, the graphics standard was raised considerably.

It will take a bit to get used to the new period in history etc., but overall this game is very similar to RTW so if you're used to that it won't take as long to understand the small differences. Looks like this will be an interesting game, playable for a long time. :D

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

If Medieval 2 does not run wonderfully on your intel Mac, I would suggest the original Medieval:Total War. It remains a great game and should have outstanding intel Mac performance.

#7 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

I've found the right balance for my computer, by turning everything to low except for the unit detail, which is set to medium. So far at the size of the current battles (maybe 2,000 max on the field, enemies and friendlies), things run fine and smooth. Still looks really nice though.

#8 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

So I guess some of you might be wondering how this game compares to R:TW. After playing it for a few days, I can say this. A lot of things are very similar, so there really isn't a learning curve if you know at least RTW. Besides all the graphical improvements done, building things in your cities work the same, creating troops, managing them, etc etc are all similar. The differences are (aside from the obvious Time Period...duh):

1) The Inquisitor - Oh man this guy pisses me off. You'll see when he comes round and kills three of your generals what I mean. He can even kill the faction leader apparently. To prevent getting killed by the Inquisitor you have to have high piety. I forget how this is done. You will see the Inquisitor in your territory, a sinister looking old dude. The way to get rid of him is to assassinate him, but then you get in trouble with the Pope.

2) The Pope - I wish this guy would stay out of my affairs and let me conquer people in peace, but noooo. If you attack a fellow Catholic faction he will order you to cease all hostilites lest ye be excommunicated. If the faction you're attacking is non-Catholic or is an excommunicated faction, then you can do what you want with them. For instance in my current game as England I started a war with France and immediately after the start the Pope sends an emissary saying cease all hostilities or else. Well it seems France received the same order but attacked me anyway, and they got excommunicated. That allowed me to recommence my attack and now I have almost conqeured them.

3) The Crusade and Jihad - The Pope can occasionally call a Crusade. Once you get the call you have 9 turns to declare joining the Crusade. This is done by taking an army with more than 8 sets of units and hitting a little Crusade button. This will make them move twice as far, and allows them to recruit special mercenaries. Also if you manage to successfully complete a Crusade (wherever it gets called to. Usually Jerusalem) you become famous and get your own ytmnd thing.

4) Chivalry - Your conduct affect how you are seen by others, like if you release prisoners after a battle you get + points. If you slaughter prisoners and/or exterminate a city you become the feared leader. Both have good points and bad points. This means you can't just exterminate every city you conquer like in RTW, where that was the best way to expand an empire.

5) Ghengis Khan - Get ready, beacuse they will come! I haven't gotten to the point where the Mongols have started invading Europe yet, but I did see an event where they were rumored to be on their way.

That's about it at this stage, I'm still yet to get to the part where gunpowder gets discovered. Can't wait. It seems in combat, cavalry got weaker, infantry got stronger, and ranged weapons have become critical in winning battles. Catapults do massive damage. Ballistas go through rows and rows of men.

#9 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

So would it be worth my $AU100?

#10 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Yes. Buy buy buy. I thought you had bought one already. :cool:

#11 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

No. I was thinking of pre ordering but it came out before I could. :(

#12 ijedi42

ijedi42

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

Been running it with everything on low with a Dual Core 1.83 iMac with 1.5 gb Ram. Runs nicely and fairly smooth.

#13 cbtanner

cbtanner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

Quick question:

I'm stuck right now deciding on what kind of laptop to get and right now i'm looking at getting a MacBook with

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4MB shared L2 cache
1 GB of Memory

And all the other lovely features but it comes with a "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory" and the Medieval 2 requirements say that i need at least a 128MB graphics card. So i wanted to ask all of you

Could I play Medieval 2 on this MacBook if i turned all the settings to low or to just scrap the idea?

Thanks for your time

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

View Postcbtanner, on December 22nd 2006, 02:37 PM, said:

Could I play Medieval 2 on this MacBook if i turned all the settings to low or to just scrap the idea?

It may run, but it would be better if someone can report first hand experience. I have the feeling it's a high demand game. In this thread in the Game Performance via Bootcamp section Ive seen one report that the game will not run on a Macbook.

#15 groverro

groverro

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hey guys,
Can you guys suggest How i should install the game on my macbook. I have no clue.

#16 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1437 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

View Postgroverro, on 09 January 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hey guys,
Can you guys suggest How i should install the game on my macbook. I have no clue.

Well first you need to buy the game (lets assume you did) then you have to install Boot Camp with a copy of Windows on a partition of your HD. Then install M2: TW in there.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7248 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Or get CrossOver Games (commercial, but relatively simple to use) or Wine (free, but sometimes tricky) and install the game with that.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"