Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Okay, in depth testing finished:

Enemy Engaged: framerate drops when overlooking larger parts of the terrain. Reducing the terrain detail helps a bit, but doesn't eliminate the problem completely.

One last addition from me: Lord of the Rings - Return of the King: runs well, but the game quits unexpectedly from time to time.

(BTW: publisher of Wakeboarding Unleashed is Aspyr, Crazy Machines is from Green Pepper.)

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#42 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

Update re. the MacSoft version of Civilization III, version 1.29b2.

I previously reported that it didn't run on my Mac Pro. I've since tried again, and found that this seems to be related to my two-screen set-up. If I run it on my primary screen it works fine. If I try to run it on my secondary screen it crashes. So, please update the first post to reflect this improvement in reported compatibility.

#43 JoAT

JoAT

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Can't believe it is not on the list yet, but I loaded up Baldur's Gate 2 on my new 20" iMac (Core Duo, 512mb, 256mb ATI x1600, 10.4.8) and played for 10 minutes without running into any problems. Performance was extremely fast with no lag.

Also tested MacSoft version of Civilization III, ran successfully and fast.

#44 marie

marie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

</quote>Red Faction
Publisher: GraphSim
Necessary patch: v1.2b3
- Flawless performance with max settings. Needs to be installed on a system with Classic first, though. 20" CD iMac 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI x1600 256VRAM, 10.4.8 (Pegasus)</quote>

Hi, I've been trying to install Red Faction on my Macbook Intel OS X 10.4.8 but I'm having some trouble.  When I click on the installer, an error message comes up: You cannot open the application because it is not supported on this system.
What does this mean?  What do I need to do to get it installed?  I'm not sure what is meant by "needs to be installed on a system with Classic first" - how do I go about doing this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edit: Do I have to install an older version of Mac, which?  Could I do this using the Parallels program?  I'm super confused, ugh!

#45 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

View Postmarie, on January 7th 2007, 10:18 AM, said:

</quote>Red Faction
Publisher: GraphSim
Necessary patch: v1.2b3
- Flawless performance with max settings. Needs to be installed on a system with Classic first, though. 20" CD iMac 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI x1600 256VRAM, 10.4.8 (Pegasus)</quote>

Hi, I've been trying to install Red Faction on my Macbook Intel OS X 10.4.8 but I'm having some trouble.  When I click on the installer, an error message comes up: You cannot open the application because it is not supported on this system.
What does this mean?  What do I need to do to get it installed?  I'm not sure what is meant by "needs to be installed on a system with Classic first" - how do I go about doing this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Edit: Do I have to install an older version of Mac, which?  Could I do this using the Parallels program?  I'm super confused, ugh!
I wonder if making an alias to the installer, and setting the 'Run in Rosetta' flag in the alias will work ?  I dont have a PPC machine (and the chances of getting one are remote anyway), so I wouldn't be able to copy the files over from that sort of machine.
My web site & Blog - Good for what ails you...

#46 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

The game itself works in OS X on PPC or Rosetta on Intel-Mac. However the installer only works in OS 9 or OS X Classic on PPC. You can't install the game on a Intel-Mac. Must install it on a PPC-Mac and transfer it to the Intel-Mac.

#47 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

View PostHomy, on January 7th 2007, 05:35 PM, said:

The game itself works in OS X on PPC or Rosetta on Intel-Mac. However the installer only works in OS 9 or OS X Classic on PPC. You can't install the game on a Intel-Mac. Must install it on a PPC-Mac and transfer it to the Intel-Mac.
Not even using the 'Open using Rosetta' option ?  Shame, 'cos I was thinking of getting it too...

#48 marie

marie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

Ok, I have Mac OS 7.5.5 running now in an emulator, but I can't seem to install RF.  Like, I can browse my hard drive files and it's definitely there as "Red Faction Installer" in OSX, but it doesn't show up in OS 7.5.5, though the rest of the files in the directory are visible in OS7.  Meh, does anyone know what's wrong?  How do you install applications with OS7?  Why isn't the installer file visible?  Thanks for your help.

#49 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

The installer may require a later OS. Don't quote me on that, though. That's just a guess.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

View PostNicholas, on January 7th 2007, 08:59 PM, said:

Not even using the 'Open using Rosetta' option ?  Shame, 'cos I was thinking of getting it too...
No, since the installer is a MacOS 9 program. No chance to get this running (with Rosetta) on an Intel Mac.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Nicholas

Nicholas

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

View PostJanichsan, on January 8th 2007, 07:34 AM, said:

No, since the installer is a MacOS 9 program. No chance to get this running (with Rosetta) on an Intel Mac.
Thats a shame - have to buy something else now :)

#52 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

It would be nice to know which resolution all these games were played at. What does "max settinegs" or "highest settings" mean? that the native resolution of iMac 20" 1680x1050 has been used during testing?

#53 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

View Postmarie, on January 7th 2007, 04:18 AM, said:

Don't panic.  ;) The original installer discs for Red Faction were intended for use in the OS 9 environment. If you have access to OS 9, one may install it in that computer then transfer the game folder to another computer.

If you don't have access to OS 9, one may take the 2 OS 9 RF installer discs and mail them to the address on this page along with correspondence asking for the single OS X RF installer disc. Not too long ago Graphsim mentioned that they have approximately 300 copies of the OS X installer discs available for immediate exchange.

If anyone has further problems with Red Faction - one may PM me or post in the other thread here and I will do my absolute best to help.

I now return this thread to it's original programming content.

#54 JoAT

JoAT

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

One (or two) more to add to the list.

- Civilization 2 Gold works through rosetta when using the unofficial carbonized version provided by the original programmer (B. Nesse).

And just confirmed that, after converting it using MacEasyTutu, Baldur's Gate 1 can be played under rosetta as well.

JoAT

#55 JiiEf

JiiEf

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

View PostJoAT, on January 22nd 2007, 05:04 PM, said:

One (or two) more to add to the list.

- Civilization 2 Gold works through rosetta when using the unofficial carbonized version provided by the original programmer (B. Nesse).

And just confirmed that, after converting it using MacEasyTutu, Baldur's Gate 1 can be played under rosetta as well.

JoAT

Just a comment on Baldur's Gate II - this might not be rosetta specific, but more like 10.4 specific. For a while I had a bunch of trouble getting it to save, I got the exact saving failure message that the official Macplay FAQ has a solution for (trash and replace the temp directory). Unfortunately, it didn't seem to solve my issue. The files were getting stuck in temp and were not being moved properly to the save directory. I played around for a while and tried setting the rights for the BG II directory to read and write for everybody - and that seems to have fixed it. I understand that there was a change in the way read/write access in controlled in either 10.3 or 10.4?

Again, sorry if this is instantly obvious to everybody and/or in the wrong thread. I've just returned to the mac fold after a 4-year absence on the Dark Side and am still learning as I go :)

cheers,

JF

#56 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Oh - I just noticed noone ever reported on NWN. So I have to add another one (the last one for real this time...):

Neverwinter Nights: runs quite good at 1440x900 with all settings maxed except FSAA (anything higher than 2x really kills the performance). The performance ranges from very smooth to a bit slow when a lot of monsters/NPCs/objects are around. Very playable, though.

#57 cheshirekat

cheshirekat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

I am glad I found this topic. I got a new Mac Pro 2.0 Quad Xeon * 3G RAM * Nvidia 256 * 1250G Hard Drive space * 23" ACD * last month and am looking forward to building up my game collection. (I stopped playing most games on my 867 Mhz PowerBook because of disk space and performance months ago.) So far, I have only purchased The Sims 2 w/University exp, Prey, and Tiger Woods 2005 for my Mac Pro. TW isn't yet installed.

I've noted choppiness and slow downs with Sims 2, before and after installing the exp. which is supposed to be UB, no? Aspyr's game agent shows that none of the Aspyr games are compatible w/Intel Macs, including Prey, which plays like a dream for me.

I have other games to install but I have no idea how you get the fps? What do I need to install to get the rates so I can help add to the list?

Looks like it's safe for me to install StarCraft w/Broodwar, so I'll install that next. What about Total Annihilation? I can install that and report back.

I know I can copy and paste, but it would be nice to be able to download the list of compatible games when shopping for a new game. Perhaps something to consider when the list reaches a decent size? There are a few games on the list I'd still like to buy.

Thanks so much!
Better to die, and sleep
The never-waking sleep, than linger on
And dare to live when the soul's life is gone.

-Sophocles, "Ajax" (circa 409 B.C.)

* Mac Pro 2 GHz Quad Xeon * OS X 10.4.11 * 12 GB RAM * 23" Apple Cinema Display

#58 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

boy oh boy...
you shoulda got the X1900... a much much better card than the 7300GT...

no matter though, Sims 2 is universal if you have the latest update/expansion, which you do. So chances are its simply because its only running on one core and theres a lot going on. Try knocking down a few settings and see what happens... especially the resolution.

SC will run fine in Rosetta, just get the OSX installer from the blizzard site.

as for Total Annihilation. Im afraid that that game is lost on all intel owners as its OS9 only and so isnt supported even under rosetta. My only suggestion would be to grab a copy of XP and Supreme Commander (the "sequel" in spirit) and see how your computer fares with that beast... The graphics card you have will most likely suffer quite a lot.

For other games to get, you should look into all the major demos from the last year. So AoE3, Imperial Glory, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2, The Movies, and very nearly Lego Star Wars 2.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#59 cheshirekat

cheshirekat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:39 AM

View Postteflon, on April 13th 2007, 04:29 PM, said:

boy oh boy...
you shoulda got the X1900... a much much better card than the 7300GT...

no matter though, Sims 2 is universal if you have the latest update/expansion, which you do. So chances are its simply because its only running on one core and theres a lot going on. Try knocking down a few settings and see what happens... especially the resolution.

SC will run fine in Rosetta, just get the OSX installer from the blizzard site.

as for Total Annihilation. Im afraid that that game is lost on all intel owners as its OS9 only and so isnt supported even under rosetta. My only suggestion would be to grab a copy of XP and Supreme Commander (the "sequel" in spirit) and see how your computer fares with that beast... The graphics card you have will most likely suffer quite a lot.

For other games to get, you should look into all the major demos from the last year. So AoE3, Imperial Glory, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2, The Movies, and very nearly Lego Star Wars 2.

I was hoping that the Nvidia would do well until there are more graphic card options. Prey runs smooth as silk, so I guess it just depends on the game whether my Mac Pro suffers with the card. I have my fingers crossed for card announcements in June.

I got SC installed and it runs very well.

AOE3 is on the top of my list to buy next. I am so excited about getting a lot of strategy games. After Rise of Nations and Imperial Glory, I'll be happy and will start looking forward to only new games, maybe with a speedy card.

I'm surprised I didn't see Alpha Centauri on the list. I think I'll try that today.

That's a bummer about Total Annihilation! Looks like I'll have to keep my PB a bit longer for just a few of the older games. Road games I guess.

Well gotta go. All talk and no play makes the weekend unfulfilling.
Better to die, and sleep
The never-waking sleep, than linger on
And dare to live when the soul's life is gone.

-Sophocles, "Ajax" (circa 409 B.C.)

* Mac Pro 2 GHz Quad Xeon * OS X 10.4.11 * 12 GB RAM * 23" Apple Cinema Display

#60 Bob Kiwi

Bob Kiwi

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

View Postcheshirekat, on April 22nd 2007, 03:39 AM, said:

I'm surprised I didn't see Alpha Centauri on the list. I think I'll try that today.

My freshly installed copy of Alpha Centauri (done on a PPC mac), when moved to my new Mac Pro, and given Brad Oliver's beta 1.5b3 patch...

Didn't work...  :crying: :(  

At least the Civ II patch works awesome (except that I can't get the CD music to play in the background, with either the Gold Edition CD or the original CD, but that's such a minor issue to get my second favorite game, behind SMAC)

Bob Kiwi