128 replies to this topic

#101 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:33 PM

Just installed Max Payne on my MacPro, and it runs terribly. Movement is laggy, even with medium settings, mouse control is awful. Allegedly, this "runs well under Rosetta." Anyone have any luck with this--any hints on settings?
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#102 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on October 17th 2007, 05:33 AM, said:

Anyone have any luck with this--any hints on settings?
Works great for me, with all the settings as high as they'll go at 1600x1200 resolution. My hardware is the same as yours—weird.

#103 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 16th 2007, 09:12 PM, said:

Works great for me, with all the settings as high as they'll go at 1600x1200 resolution. My hardware is the same as yours—weird.

Yeah,  I thought it was odd as well, so I ran OnyX and rebooted, and now it works just fine. Haven't had to do that since I got this machine, but I think its been awhile since the last restart.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#104 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

View PostVarmint, on October 5th 2007, 09:46 AM, said:

I just finished playing through NOLF 2 with the settings maxxed on my Quad core 3Ghz Mac Pro, 5 GB ram, Radeon X1900, running 10.4.10.  The performance was perfect everywhere in the game...

So there were a few minor issues, but certainly no showstoppers.  Oh, and this was also using the most recent patch I could find, which I believe is 1.3. It's a great game and a lot of fun.

OK. just bought this on Ebay, installed it this evening, and it will not run at all (crashes on startup).  I'm on a 2.16 GHz Imac running 10.4.11...  I installed the "latest" patch (1.3, which is at LEAST 3 years old)  but to no avail.  Help???

Huh... turns out it was a font issue.  A few weeks ago I had purged something like 30,000 fonts from my system because I was not able to install  (or really, run) Adobe CS3 without doing so.  Turns out NOLF2 wouldn't run without a particular version of Arial, which I had archived.  I had to scroll through all the crash logs to figure this out, and I am by no means a technical guy.  Anyhoo, based on what I read when I searched for "No One Lives Forever 2 OS X Crash" on  Google, it turns out that I am very fortunate to get it running at all--lotta PO'd MacPlay customers out there.

#105 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:07 AM

Hey every one, I've decided to make my 1st post here as I think this is a great thread, as I love older games. Plus I don't really like getting cutting edge new games unless they are something really special as I can't exactly pull apart my iMac and put in a new CPU & video card in there now can I?  :blink:

Anyway, the three I'm reporting are KnightShift (Someone asked about this one earlier) Gangland, and Space Colony.

KnightShift seems to run well, except there is a major font issue in which only white boxes are displayed in place of the correct letters. So unless you've played it a million times already on a PPC your probably out of luck like myself.

Gangland absolutely rocks, and I was thrilled that it launched quickly and ran smoothly. The music hiccups a little, but that was about it... then boom. It crashed. And probably a million times since that 1st time. The game has a tendencey to crash at random... such a shame  :mellow:

Space Colony runs fine. You couldn't even tell it were a PPC game if it weren't for random crashes during gameplay. Fortunately you can save at any time, so I was still able to complete the game despite this. But it should be updated in the list to reflect the crashing.

All games were tested on a Intel 2.33GHz iMac running Leopard.

#106 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:35 AM

View PostCobra, on February 10th 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

KnightShift seems to run well, except there is a major font issue in which only white boxes are displayed in place of the correct letters. So unless you've played it a million times already on a PPC your probably out of luck like myself.
This could easily be the same issue as described with NOLF2 above. It may be trying to use one of the "Microsoft Core Fonts for the Web", which used to ship with all Macs back when Internet Explorer was bundled, but aren't there on newer Macs (or aren't all there, I forget which it is). You can find the fonts here or here, so try installing them and see if it helps.

#107 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

The game dose want to use Times New Roman, but despite me having the font, it still displays boxes I'm afraid.

#108 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:39 AM

View PostCobra, on February 10th 2008, 01:59 AM, said:

The game dose want to use Times New Roman, but despite me having the font, it still displays boxes I'm afraid.
My experience with NOLF2 was to quit the game then restart the game.  The white boxes problem goes away after the first launch, normally appearing after a fresh install.  Are you Rosetta users saying the problem persists after the second launch?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#109 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 10th 2008, 07:39 AM, said:

My experience with NOLF2 was to quit the game then restart the game.  The white boxes problem goes away after the first launch, normally appearing after a fresh install.  Are you Rosetta users saying the problem persists after the second launch?

Well, yes. I really tried everything with NOLF2 before I went to the crash logs.  I could NEVER get it to open at all.  And then when I saw that the crash logs were in essence saying "crash error missing font" (only not in real English and with lots of XXXX0e and other gibberish strewn throughout--you know what I'm talking about if you ever tried to read one of those and you're not a programmer) I went back and reinstalled the VERY PARTICULAR version of Arial the game wanted me to have, and then the game ran without a hitch.  I don't think I like it as much as the first one, but that's another story.

I can't speak to the Knight Shift issue, but I DO think it's pretty lousy that a well-designed game could crash on account of something as rinky-dink as a font. I mean, if you must use actual fonts in your game, include them!

#110 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

View Postjgwdoc, on October 16th 2007, 12:33 PM, said:

Just installed Max Payne on my MacPro, and it runs terribly. Movement is laggy, even with medium settings, mouse control is awful. Allegedly, this "runs well under Rosetta." Anyone have any luck with this--any hints on settings?

I just noticed recently that Max Payne is on Feral's web site. They've expressed interest in updating their old games (especially for Macs that can't handle the latest games) I wonder if it's possible they might do this one. Maybe not but I am still a tad curious anyway.

It's strange to me that it wouldn't run well on a Mac Pro since it can run real good with the detail turned up on my Mac Mini G4.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#111 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

it was a Feral jobbie all along anyway. if I remember, Ill give it a go on my MBP at some point and report back.
it may be on the list for a UB, but thats kept top secret at Feral, so no news there.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#112 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:15 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 11th 2008, 01:09 AM, said:

I'e restarted the game quite a few times now. I even deleted a font cache folder it had but even after that the game recreates it still with no luck.

Oh yeah, another game that slipped my mind since it's been a while since I've played it.

Gorky 17
Runs relatively smooth, sound 'n' video do hiccup a little, aside from that when when using OpenGL Rendering you do get a little graphical mess, but nothing major that will effect gameplay.

#113 threebkk

threebkk

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

I just managed to purchase a new MB Pro a few weeks ago.
Today, I was all excited to play Call of Duty Deluxe on it.
Much to my chagrin, I couldn't find a UB patch for it on macgamefiles.com.
That's a real downer, and shocking considering the popularity of the CoD line.

When can we expect to play these two amazing games natively on Intel?
I'm getting roughly the same frame rate on my MB Pro that I was getting on my PB12" two years ago.  :angry:

I also want to add that Ricochet: Lost Worlds run well under Rosetta, but it quits unexpectedly when I try to exit the application.
I've also had some trouble with the DRM wrapper causing the game to crash, but that was under a previous install of Intel Leopard.
After a fresh Install of Intel Leopard, I have have only had trouble when quitting.

#114 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

Any idea if the list is ever going to be updated again?
If it is I can happily report that WipeOut 2097 runs beautifully so far with just some slight musical hiccups.

#115 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for this great thread.. very informative, just a couple to add

Rainbow 6 3 Raven Sheild... runs really smooth on the indoor levels, but stutters alot on outside levels and abit on levels which are half and half

Rainbow 6 3 Raven Sheild - Athena Sword... as above

Stronghold - Runs really well, no glitches as far as I can see

Call of Duty - Runs really well, but crashes after the assault of St Mere Eglise (just before the cut scene) I have tried this on a couple of machines in both Tiger and Leopard and the same error happens. there is a console command that you can put in to jump to the next level though. Can't confirm whether this is just me or a bug in the way rosetta translates the game.

Call of Duty - United Offensive - As above really, but the game stalls at the Viaduct level, where a crucial ladder is unusable as such and the level cannot be completed, there is a console command that you can put in to jump to the next level though. Again have tried this on a couple of machines and I have read of a similar thing happening to other folks around the world.

#116 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

View PostNik, on June 25th 2008, 06:28 PM, said:

Call of Duty - Runs really well, but crashes after the assault of St Mere Eglise (just before the cut scene) I have tried this on a couple of machines in both Tiger and Leopard and the same error happens. there is a console command that you can put in to jump to the next level though. Can't confirm whether this is just me or a bug in the way rosetta translates the game.

Call of Duty - United Offensive - As above really, but the game stalls at the Viaduct level, where a crucial ladder is unusable as such and the level cannot be completed, there is a console command that you can put in to jump to the next level though. Again have tried this on a couple of machines and I have read of a similar thing happening to other folks around the world.
UB patches of both this games will be available in a few weeks.

#117 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

Sadly with the future of Rosetta so dim this handy list won't be of much use to Lion users.
Appreciated it as a Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard user though.

#118 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

It's time to unsticky this biznitch!

#119 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

This list will still be handy for a long long time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#120 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Oh, please. How many of those games can you even actually buy anymore? If you haven't figured out whether they run or not by now, IT'S TOO LATE.