iMac Gaming X1600 Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acegraphics

acegraphics

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

Just purchase a 20" iMac core duo 2.0ghz with the X1600 card 512 ram and so far I have played the following booting with boot camp running Windows XP

Dark Messiah of might and magic plays decent at medium settings 1024 x 768 but need more ram.

Battle field 2 demo plays excellent even at max settings

Unreal Tournament 2004 demo plays excellent at max settings

anyone have any other games they would like to add please do, It would be nice to have a good list of games playable under windows on the intel iMac core duos.

#2 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

512MB system RAM? You should look into getting more than just that. 1GB is the minimum you ought to have to have things run well.

As for games in Windows: Pirates!, Stronghold 2, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and Far Cry play smoothly at max settings on my iMac. Similar specs, but I have 2 gig of RAM.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#3 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:23 AM

View PostPegasus, on November 5th 2006, 10:24 PM, said:

Stronghold 2
How is that? I've heard it isn't as good as the first one.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#4 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:25 AM

I think I'll get Dark Messiah as well. But I wonder if it can switch to 3rd person view? One thing about Oblivion that I hated was blade-fighting in 1st person.

#5 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:18 AM

You can switch to third-person mode in Oblivion, can't you?

And check out how well FEAR runs.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#6 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:45 PM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on November 6th 2006, 01:23 AM, said:

How is that? I've heard it isn't as good as the first one.

Stronghold 2 is a fantastic game. A definite improvement over the first. Well, after they patched it, that is. ;) That's where all the negative reviews come from, before Firefly patched it properly to fix the quirks, etc.

With the change into real 3d I'm not stuck with at times awkward angles you had to bare with in the first one. I also like it that simple pikemen can't just tear down stone walls anymore. Now that I always found a bit strange in the first game. In additon, one also has to watch more closely the mini-economy in one's keep. Mismanagement can create one's early demise.

In the end it's just a lot of fun watching your army attacking an opponent's castle with catapults and trebuchets, scaling his walls, using his towers against him while the footsoldiers protect the lower levels. Knights are definitely a lot stronger in this game. Even a group of pikemen don't stand a chance against a few of them.

All in all, I just love the game. It's a shame it didn't make it to the Mac. And it's only twenty bucks these days.

I've tried out the Stronghold Legends demo and I'm a bit skeptical about it. They've simplified a bit too many things there to make it more mainstream, which I didn't think was too great, but, on the other hand, there'll be dragons, spell casters, and other mythical creatures. I probably will still get that one eventually.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#7 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

View Postacegraphics, on November 6th 2006, 12:07 AM, said:

Just purchase a 20" iMac core duo 2.0ghz with the X1600 card 512 ram and so far I have played the following booting with boot camp running Windows XP...
Battlefield 2 demo plays excellent even at max settings

I play BF2 every day on my iMac Core Duo 1.83 and I have some settings on high and some on low with a 4x AA and 1024 x 768.  I start to get some hiccups when I go higher than that.

#8 Sparky9292

Sparky9292

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:52 AM

Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour works fantastic at max resolution on my 17" intel imac running Windows XP SP2 in Bootcamp.