Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on November 4th 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

Boy, you guys are making me feel worse and worse about my 7500.  :angry:

There's no need for that.  After all, your 7500 is better than drawing a bunch of scribbles on a pad of paper with some crayons and then flipping through the pages.  Slightly.

--Eric

#22 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:58 PM

Actually, when loading a Flash or graphic-heavy webpage, I found that I can use a pad of paper easier.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#23 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

I'll give you my magic marker and pad of paper for your macbook.

#24 megaman

megaman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

go to macgamestore.com and look for the games under digital download section.  this way, you wont have to carry around those pesky CD/DVDs.

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

A helpful thread cause my wife wants to upgrade her G3 ibook to get some PC game playing accomplished.
Thanks all!

#26 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

Games that run good on my core solo mini (yes you can play games on a mini) with 512MB of RAM:

Call of Duty (lowest settings)
Legion Arena (highest settings)
Civ III
Age of Empires II
Ghost Recon (highest settings)
Redline (highest settings)
Unreal Tournament (highest settings)
Starcraft
Eternal Lands

Games that run ok or bad:

Call of Duty 2 demo (ok-ish but crashes)
Quake 4 demo (bad)
Second Life (ok)
Lego StarWars demo (crashes straight away)

I've heard that CoD2 runs good with 1GB or more of RAM on a mini.

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

View PostTimmy, on November 26th 2006, 07:00 PM, said:

Games that run good on my core solo mini (yes you can play games on a mini) with 512MB of RAM:

Call of Duty (lowest settings)
Legion Arena (highest settings)
Civ III
Age of Empires II
Ghost Recon (highest settings)
Redline (highest settings)
Unreal Tournament (highest settings)
Starcraft
Eternal Lands

Games that run ok or bad:

Call of Duty 2 demo (ok-ish but crashes)
Quake 4 demo (bad)
Second Life (ok)
Lego StarWars demo (crashes straight away)

I've heard that CoD2 runs good with 1GB or more of RAM on a mini.

Could you verify these are all native Mac games your running? (I assume so.) And no Boot Camp action. Thanks!

#28 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:36 AM

All mac OS X, I want to install XP for some games but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

#29 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:09 AM

View Postbookman, on November 3rd 2006, 12:35 PM, said:

Also, the Half Life 2 demo worked pretty well, despite autosave crashes.
That happens on every mac I think. At least it did on my iMac.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#30 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:15 AM

View PostTimmy, on November 27th 2006, 01:36 AM, said:

All mac OS X, I want to install XP for some games but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks Tim!

#31 wal9000

wal9000

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

Though I recall having a hard time finding some of the files you need to get the OSX port of Unreal Tournament running.

And a lot of the game doesn't work, since the port didn't really get finished. It locks up when looking for multiplayer games, etc.

#32 Timmy

Timmy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

View Postwal9000, on November 28th 2006, 04:15 AM, said:

Though I recall having a hard time finding some of the files you need to get the OSX port of Unreal Tournament running.

And a lot of the game doesn't work, since the port didn't really get finished. It locks up when looking for multiplayer games, etc.

Yeah i notice that; even the single player missions aren't finished and it does seem a bit buggy al-round.

#33 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

If I were looking to play games on a MacBook, in all seriousness I would install WindowsXP into BootCamp. There are a crazy number of great, free games out for PC across all possible genres, and many don't necessarily need a great secondary graphics processor.

#34 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

View Posthambone, on December 1st 2006, 04:41 PM, said:

If I were looking to play games on a MacBook, in all seriousness I would install WindowsXP into BootCamp. There are a crazy number of great, free games out for PC across all possible genres, and many don't necessarily need a great secondary graphics processor.

I wonder with Boot Camp/WinXP installed on a MacBook what would be the min PC System game requirement that one could expect decent performance- processor speed and graphics/vram?

#35 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

I've found the integrated graphics handles shaders alright, but absolutely chokes with polycount. I can run WoW with no major hit between low and mid-range settings, but regardless it slows to a crawl when a lot is on-screen.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#36 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

Melty Blood works great on those low end macbooks.
What is a man?

#37 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

What I don't get is how some people seem to mean that you can't run ANY game other than puzzle games on a GMA950 or an older Radeon like a 9200 even older games. Some have even suggested that you'd have to turn down the detail in Alice on a 9200 when it fact you can max it out. I bet they'd also say UT'99 would need for you to turn down the detail when in fact you can max that out too out and put in the S3TC textures. Heck, I was even able to do that on an older GMA and have great performance believe it or not. So don't let them discourage you from trying even older games on there. Pretty much any Quake 3 Arena game should run good on there too and not on low detail in fact I just installed Star Trek Voyager Elite Force on the aforementioned older GMA and maxxed it out and it runs great.

So no you can't just run 2D Games or Puzzle games. There's a lot of games out there that don't even require a 9200.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#38 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Just because the GMA950s can't run recent titles perfectly(and I'm talking about titles that require bump mapping, and addtional geometry), doesn't mean it can't run games from 9 years ago or other recent games that don't require a great graphics card inorder to run them. Melty Blood for example doesn't need 256 mb vram radeon X1xxx type of card to run.
What is a man?

#39 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

View PostDrinniol, on December 3rd 2006, 08:30 AM, said:

I've found the integrated graphics handles shaders alright, but absolutely chokes with polycount. I can run WoW with no major hit between low and mid-range settings, but regardless it slows to a crawl when a lot is on-screen.

Probably because they only have software T&L.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7