100 replies to this topic

#1 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Does everyone remember when this game first came out? Loaded it up on your computer and played it with OS 9 on small video cards?

I do. It was OK.

But these days - on OS 10.4 and with larger video cards - Red Faction literally explodes! That is why I think RF deserves another look on today's MAC platform, especially the multiplayer aspect. It's fast action with the original Geo-Mod Technology! I play almost everyday - from 10pm Central US time until 2am typically. Because ... I am addicted. lol

The installer discs for the MAC version of Red Faction do not create a structure to use user created custom content.  For the MAC Red Faction to use custom maps or mods, one must take the following steps:

1. Create new folder and name it Mods, put it in the main Red Faction game folder.
2. Create new folder and name it user_maps, put it in the main Red Faction game folder.
3. Create new folder and name it multi within the new user_maps folder.
4. Create new folder and name it single within the new user_maps folder.
4. Download maps and mods and save the compressed files somewhere where you can find them.
5. Uncompress maps and mods and place files in the following manner:
5a. Each Mod has it's own folder - place them in the Mods folder.
5b. DM and CTF maps have a .vpp suffix - which go into the multi folder directly.
5c. SP maps have a .vpp suffix - which go into the single folder directly.
6. Run the Red Faction application.
6a. If running a single player map, type in command line: -level "map name here".
6b. If running a custom mod, type in command line: -mod "mod folder name".

Game folder should look something like this (click to enlargen):
Posted Image

Note1: If a map loads and the graphics are messed up - it is unplayable on Mac platform and if fixed, it would become instantly incompatible with original file and any servers running the map in question (when map was designed in RED Editor it was not toggled for inside or outside conditions and/or the lighting was improperly calculated).

Note2: If a map loads and locks up the program - it is likely the application is looking for a soundtrack which is not there; this map can be made to work without compatibility issues.

Note3: One may obtain the Mac Red Faction version 1.2 for OS 9 and OS X -----> right here <-----.

Also worth mentioning for the sake of posterity, there are a all sorts of commands available to the Server and the player whether it is in single player or multiplayer. If you are in game, just hit the tilde key "~" to pull it down. If you are running a dedicated server, the commands may be entered directly thru the prompt. Most of the following information is paraphrased from the Read me.txt of Red Faction itself. To take a screen shot while in single player or multi player, hit the command+p key combo. It will create a .jpg file in the main Red Faction game folder.

Single Player commands

info = This will display the current map name, the elapsed time and framerate/Frames per Second values.

heehoo = Cheat which will allow the player to fly.

bighugmug = Cheat which will give the player all weapons - fully stocked.

vivalahelvig = Cheat which will render the player invulnerable.

camera1 = Normal viewpoint of the game.

camera2 = Flying perspective independent of player location.

camera3 = 3rd person perspective which follows the player.

Multi Player commands

info = This will display the current map name, the elapsed time and framerate/Frames per Second values.

name (whatever) = This will allow you to change your name without jumping to the menu or leaving the game.

simultaneous_ping (value) = When connecting to the Game Tracker this value determines how many servers will be pinged at the same time. Default value is 16.

team (red or blue) = This allows the player to switch from one team to another in TDM or CTF. Valid choices are "red" or "blue".

rcon_request (password) = This allows the player to access the functions of a dedicated server by Remote Control. Provided the player knows the password.

rcon level (map) = This function will change the map that the server is running. The map name must be the actual .rfl title, tho the .rfl suffix does not need to be included.

rcon kick (player name) = This function will remove or kick the specific player from the server. If there is a space in the player name put the name in quotes. ie: rcon kick "Captain Kangaroo". The kicked player may rejoin however.

rcon ban (player) = This function will ban the specific player from the server. If there is a space in the player name put the name in quotes. ie: rcon ban "Haxus Majoris". The specific player's IP will be added to the banlist.txt file.

rcon ban_ip (IP) = This function will ban the specific player from the server. The specific player's IP will be added to the banlist.txt file.

Server commands

rate (bps) = Sets the rate at which servers send update packets in bytes per second. According to the Read me.txt:
          modem 2600
          isdn 5000
          cable/dsl 15000
          t1 30000
          lan 30000

say (whatever) = This will send a chat message to all players in the server as Server.

info = This function will show the current map, how long the map has been running and the version of Red Faction. It will also display a list of connected players - showing their name, ping and IP.

level (map) = This function will change the map that the server is running. The map name must be the actual .rfl title, tho the .rfl suffix does not need to be included.

kick (player name) = This function will remove or kick the specific player from the server. If there is a space in the player name put the name in quotes. ie: rcon kick "Oscar the Grouch". The specific player may rejoin however.

ban (player name) = This function will ban the specific player from the server. If there is a space in the player name put the name in quotes. ie: rcon ban "Rude and Lewd". The specific player's IP will be added to the banlist.txt file.

ban_ip (IP) = This function will ban the specific player from the server. The specific player's IP will be added to the banlist.txt file.

quit = Shuts the server down.

Command Line

-mod (mod name) = With this command the application knows to look for a mod folder with a specific name and then use the .vpp files that are in it.

-level (map) = With this command the application knows to look for a map with a specific name and then use it whether it is a single player or multiplayer map. The map name must be the actual .rfl title, tho the .rfl suffix does not need to be included.

-dedicated (dm, tdm or ctf) = This function will create a dedicated server. It will look for the parameters of the server by examining the dedicated_server.txt file.

-port (number) = By default Red Faction uses port number 7755 UDP. This command line will allow the player or server to change it to something else.

-lan only = This will prevent the in game server or dedicated server from contacting the Game Tracker.

#2 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Red Faction has been on my list of games to play for quite a while. Maybe sometime soon. :)

#3 DevilAngryMan

DevilAngryMan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

Sweet I didn't even know there was a patch for RF to play on OS X. I'll have to bust it out again.

#4 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

Red Faction was one of the first games I bought for my PS2. It definitely rocks, and worked very well as a console FPS. They really got the controls right on the joystick, unlike Unreal Tournament. Anyway, cool stuff! I have a friend who works for Volition. He's worked on RF2 & The Punisher.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Time for another visit to the Glass House!!  WOOT!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

The Glass House is ok if yer into that sorta thing, but why not go for the entire Glass Tower!

I forgot to mention, I also have available for immediate usage a variety of custom weapons with MAC sound friendly files: MAC RF Custom Weaponry

Figure1. Toilet Brush by Red Frog in dm-Merry-Christmas by SWAMadcat and RED JUSTICE.
Posted Image

Figure2. Firestarter by Red Frog in dm-DAC Dust by Mostertman.
Posted Image

So anyhow, it's good action and good humour in Red Faction.

Otherwise I shall refrain from further SPAM in regards to RF.

Thanks,

Hapa the Hanu

#7 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

GLASS TOWER?! I think I should begin playing again, Glass House was one of my favorite things about RF.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#8 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:03 PM

I may try to install the game later on my Intel Mac. That'll be fun since the main game needs to be installed under Classic before it can be patched to OS X. Guess I'll try a file transfer from my Powerbook to my iMac. I'll keep you posted on my level of success.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

View PostHapa Hanu, on October 27th 2006, 02:39 PM, said:

The Glass House is ok if yer into that sorta thing, but why not go for the entire Glass Tower!
Holy cow danglies!  Awesome!  But unfortunately they want me to register.  Is there a server somewhere with this map that doesn't want my email address?

Otherwise I shall refrain from further SPAM in regards to RF.
Not a problem.  This stuff is right on.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

How much damage does this toilet brush? And what kind of damage? Splash damage?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

It might depend on how much dried poo is stuck to it.  :blink:

#12 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yes - I can help you with Glass Towers.

Sorry bout the registering thing at levels4you. They are a great group of guyz. ;)

Figure 3. KA-Shotgun by An@rki in dm-GlassTowers.
Posted Image

I just uploaded GlassTowers to FileFront: right here  :D

It includes a MAC Sound Friendly file in the .vpp so it's good to go.

Just don't break more than 144 windows. There is a bug in RF (both PC and MAC) which causes it to crash.  :o

Also: the Toilet Brush is purely cosmetic - it replaces the Control Baton. It is especially deadly with the secondary fire (scrubbing).

When it hits just right - there is a :: splat :: and the opponent will drop dead.

The reload is particularly disgusting.  :P

#13 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

Well, I have an account at levels4you, so whoopee.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#14 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

View PostAskilfeasd, on October 27th 2006, 08:04 PM, said:

Well, I have an account at levels4you, so whoopee.

LOL! That's not a bad thing. L4Y aquires over 600 members a week and has custom maps and mods for over 20 games. In the RF section alone there are over 3,000 maps. Of which 400 have custom sounds which I have been working on converting for MAC abuse use.

I have begun re-uploading these MAC Sound Safe maps again lately. Due to the fact that during FileFronts last malfunction I lost 140 files with over 1,000 downloads.  :angry:

If anyone has any questions or technical concerns with RF let me know - more than happy to help.  :thumbsup:

#15 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:17 AM

Well, it works pretty well. Even faster loading times than on my Powerbook. As said, I had to transfer all the Red Faction files from my Powerbook to my Intel iMac. After that it worked just fine. Anyways, I only wanted to test the game, and before I knew it I played well into the single player campaign - it's been a couple of years since I've played it last.

Just out of curiosity I checked out the multiplayer. Somehow I managed to get stuck in there for a few hours. :whistling: Plays very well actually, even on my downtrodden dial-up. Had a blast playing capture-the-flag. I even managed to bring home a couple of those flags. :)

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

View PostHapa Hanu, on October 27th 2006, 05:53 PM, said:

I just uploaded GlassTowers to FileFront: right here  :D
Got it!  Thanks a bunch.  

If anybody is unsure how to install a custom net map in Red Faction, Hapa Hanu has some nifty instructions that will walk you through it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Hapa Hanu

Hapa Hanu

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

View PostPegasus, on October 28th 2006, 01:17 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity I checked out the multiplayer. Somehow I managed to get stuck in there for a few hours. :whistling: Plays very well actually, even on my downtrodden dial-up. Had a blast playing capture-the-flag. I even managed to bring home a couple of those flags. :)

LOL! You must have been in Frag4Fun last night, yes? My server, Dinner is Served, is on the same Linux server as Frag4Fun. The server admin and myself were keeping tabs on both servers last night, they held up very well. If I had known you were in Frag4Fun I would have left Dinner to join up with you and give you some cover fire to steal another flag.  ;)

What kind of framerate were you getting? While in game a player may hit the tilde "~" key and type in "info" to see how it's cooking.

Also, next time you play - grab some screen shots and share them! While in play just hit the "command-P" combo and the game will throw the screen shot directly into the game folder.  :thumbsup: If yer too shy to post them here, you are more than welcome to post them here - The Screen Shot Zone.

The RF single player is OK and the multiplayer is pretty cool - but the custom maps are where it's at!

Here is the MAC Sound Safe custom map pack that is run on Dinner is Served.  :cool:

Thanks everyone for your consideration! You too BattleCat!

#18 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

Yes, I do think it was the Frag4Fun server that I was on yesterday. It certainly was the liveliest or so it seemed.

I may check out the framerate later on, but as far as I could tell it ran silky smooth, with the exception of the very few times when my connection experienced a slight hiccup.

Guess I'll have to put off downloading that map pack until sometime next week when I can plug into our library's free broadband wifi connection. I'll give it a whirl then.

#19 Siderits

Siderits

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Red Faction is a very sweet game! Expecially ctf rails, i recommend this game very much.

#20 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

Will be trying out Dinner is Served tonight. As for ctf rails, does anyone know where I can get the Mac safe version if there is one? Seems to be a pretty popular pack, so I would like to give it a try if I can.