17 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

According to the Apple Developer Connection website, Apple's Leopard page previews some good news for mac gamers:

OpenGL Improvements
OpenGL is the industry-standard API for developing portable, interactive 2D and 3D applications. Mac OS X has supported OpenGL from the outset and in Leopard it supports the latest OpenGL 2.1 specification which adds pixel buffer objects, color managed texture images in the sRGB color space, and improvements in the shader programming API.

Leopard also provides a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto another thread which can then run on a separate CPU core feeding the GPU. This can increase, or in some cases, even double the performance of OpenGL-based applications.
While our own Tuncer Deniz had some inside line on this, it seems that Apple is now confident enough to put the results in writing. Admittedly, there's usually a gap between lab tests and real-world performance, but when Apple unleashes Leopard next spring, fans of obscure OpenGL-using titles (like "World of Warcraft" and "Doom 3") can expect to see some major performance gains.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

Cheetah? I hope not :) Cheetah was 10.0 :)

#3 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

View Postnagromme, on October 25th 2006, 03:35 PM, said:

Cheetah? I hope not :) Cheetah was 10.0 :)

I believe he meant Cheetah-like speeds.  Was I the only one who caught the "obscure titles" joke?   ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#4 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

The blurb refers to the multithreaded OpenGL, and it's here now on Intel Macs in 10.4.8. Most apps need patches to take advantage of it.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#5 Someone

Someone

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on October 25th 2006, 02:54 PM, said:

I believe he meant Cheetah-like speeds.  Was I the only one who caught the "obscure titles" joke?   ;)

No, I'm sure nagromme got it. He was just making fun of the unfortunate title.

The moral is, don't try to be witty with your article titles because jokes can be made. And I was actually going to pull the same stunt as nagromme but he beat me to it. :)

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

but when Apple unleashes Leopard next spring, fans of obscure OpenGL-using titles (like "World of Warcraft" and "Doom 3") can expect to see some major performance gains.

As Brad said, some people already have this, and the performance gain in Doom 3 wasn't exactly "major."  Basically I wouldn't expect anything, unless you're limited by the CPU instead of the graphics card (which applies to which games these days, exactly?)

--Eric

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8576 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well, okay, but the MTOpenGL support in Doom 3 seems to be quite experimental. Who knows what gain is in this when the game is actually fully optimised to use it?

But that's all speculation right now. Time will tell.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#8 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

I thought using MT-OpenGL was a completely different process from normal coding of a game. I've heard it can really really screw you up if you don't know what you're doing.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#9 reallynotnick

reallynotnick

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

Is it possible that this will work with all games and magically multi-core them without making them to do the multi-core in the first place? Because if 10.4.8 already has this then what is all the halablu about?

#10 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

View Postreallynotnick, on October 25th 2006, 10:58 PM, said:

Is it possible that this will work with all games and magically multi-core them without making them to do the multi-core in the first place?

Not as far as I know.

Because if 10.4.8 already has this then what is all the halablu about?

It's only in the Intel build ATM, and it's sort of "unofficial".

--Eric

#11 owlboy

owlboy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Grrrr, need PowerPC info…

-Owl

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:49 AM

View PostEric5h5, on October 26th 2006, 09:39 AM, said:

Basically I wouldn't expect anything, unless you're limited by the CPU instead of the graphics card (which applies to which games these days, exactly?)
Single-player CoD 2, as far as I can tell.

#13 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

View PostTesseract, on October 26th 2006, 01:49 PM, said:

Single-player CoD 2, as far as I can tell.

Only singleplayer?! I would hope not because the only reason I really need the speedup for in COD2 is multiplayer although replaying singleplayer with some extra eyecandy won't hurt either.
You have any reason in specific for mentioning singleplayer as opposed to the whole game? It just seems a bit odd to me.
cheers,
Yves

#14 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Is it possible that this will work with all games and magically multi-core them without making them to do the multi-core in the first place? Because if 10.4.8 already has this then what is all the halablu about?
They have to be coded with the ability to use it. Some games could do it after being patched, though.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#15 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3513 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

View Postyves, on October 27th 2006, 12:45 AM, said:

You have any reason in specific for mentioning singleplayer as opposed to the whole game? It just seems a bit odd to me.
SP seems slower when rendering about the same amount of stuff as MP, hence my hypothesis is that SP is more CPU-bound than MP, possibly due to AI code and such. I cannot back this up with actual measurements.

View PostBlackshawk, on October 27th 2006, 12:54 AM, said:

They have to be coded with the ability to use it. Some games could do it after being patched, though.
Though evidently it can be forced on, going by the Doom 3 results at Bare Feats.

#16 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

no, Doom 3 was given MT OGL code in the latest patch. However, Aspyr couldnt figure out how to activate it, so they just left the code in there as it didnt detract anything, hoping that Apple would stick it in eventually...

which they did!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#17 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3513 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

View Postteflon, on October 27th 2006, 04:20 AM, said:

no, Doom 3 was given MT OGL code in the latest patch. However, Aspyr couldnt figure out how to activate it, so they just left the code in there as it didnt detract anything, hoping that Apple would stick it in eventually...

which they did!
Where did you get that info? That's different to what Brad said here and here.

#18 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

View PostBlackshawk, on October 25th 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

I thought using MT-OpenGL was a completely different process from normal coding of a game.

Yes.

I've heard it can really really screw you up if you don't know what you're doing.

Multithreading can be a problem, but multithreading OpenGL is Apple's problem. It shouldn't make a bit of difference to games programming unless Apple screws up.