Play PC Games on a iMac?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dattebayo

Dattebayo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

I wonder if it works to play PC-Windows Games on a iMac? I mean, the game only needs the OS Windows right?
So if I install bootcamp and install Windows in my iMac, can I play PC games then?

#2 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

It works very well, actually. I haven't had any real problems running any of the games I've bought. I'd be cautious about Valve's Steam. For some reason it just doesn't like me. Or maybe it's due to my dial-up connection. *shrugs*

Anyways, you might want to check out the Windows Gaming FAQ thread. It should give you a more detailed picture about almost everything you might want to know.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#3 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

View PostPegasus, on October 15th 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

It works very well, actually. I haven't had any real problems running any of the games I've bought. I'd be cautious about Valve's Steam. For some reason it just doesn't like me. Or maybe it's due to my dial-up connection. *shrugs*

Anyways, you might want to check out the Windows Gaming FAQ thread. It should give you a more detailed picture about almost everything you might want to know.

why are you still on a dial up connection? in california you can get like a 2mb connection for $10-15 a month depending on where you live.

BTW: steam works fine for me.

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

View PostDattebayo, on October 15th 2006, 10:40 AM, said:

I wonder if it works to play PC-Windows Games on a iMac? I mean, the game only needs the OS Windows right? So if I install bootcamp and install Windows in my iMac, can I play PC games then?

There's a faq about playing games with Windows in bootcamp. If you didn't answer your own questions I'd link to that, but if you have any more you can go find it yourself.

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

View PostDattebayo, on October 15th 2006, 12:40 PM, said:

I wonder if it works to play PC-Windows Games on a iMac? I mean, the game only needs the OS Windows right?
So if I install bootcamp and install Windows in my iMac, can I play PC games then?

You are correct sir if your referring to an intel iMac. iMacs are a good choice with 128 and 256MB VRAM cards available.  :)

#6 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Steam works fine for me.

As for performance, everything seems to work fine on bootcamp (except blue tooth).  As for performance on an iMac, it depends what PC games you're running.  X1600 is a fairly botton line card on the current market.
My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse