Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

This seems just as good a place as any to ask-

My Oblivion character is L22, My base weight is about 190 and I can carry about 327 pound/units of inventory. I've been avoiding Kvatch, but finally got around to following up a bit on the main quest. I'm running through the Kvatch gate and killing these dudes with Daedric war hammers that weigh 95 frickn pounds. Is anyone supposed to be able to equip these things as part of heavy armor and still be able to move? My strength is only about 54 or so. I assume that if I concentrate on strength that my max carrying weight will go up. But the question is how far?

So far, I'm sticking with light armor. I have a nice robe that provides about 20 points of shielding and I have a 40% shield spell I always use to make up for the light armor.

Side note- I'm delaying my level ups for the following reasons. I'm still leveling but I'm taking my time and running through several dungeons before choosing to level. For those who don't play, when enough xp is gained, you level by sleeping. If you don't sleep, you don't level and there really seems to be no consequences for not sleeping.  Some players level up based on a variety of skills as soon as they can, but not combat- melee sword/blunt or destruction spells. In otherwords, they work on alchemy or other talents and gain enough skill points to level. As mobs level with you to some degree, I've read where you can get your character into a bind if your not concentrating on combat skills as you level. This situation makes you weak from a combat perspective.

I've found that even if I don't level, my skills still increase. My theory is that I can keep improving my combat skills, while avoiding a situation where the mobs get harder to  beat. This seems to keep me competitive versus the first time I played an Oblivion character. It would be nice to somehow confirm the theory.

#22 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

I would argue that leveling your combat skills is quite important, as I'm finding that having a high blade skill and more importantly, a high block level now allows me to block hits without taking damage to my shield points. So, I stand and block, and when they strike at me I immediately counter with a strong swing and do major damage due to my high blade skill (and a strength over 80 now... this allows me to carry 500+ lbs of stuff). I actually have it timed now so I'll get out of their range, but counter at the right time so they miss, but I hit.

But then again I've always been a tank player in whatever RPG I've ever played, including MMORPGs like Shadowbane. I've never thought about the not-sleeping part. I'm finding mobs getting stronger, but I'm always slightly stronger than them, so unless I find myself surrounded by three ogres and two skeleton warriors as I've done once, I can beat them most of the time.

#23 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info Tomato! I've added a section on leveling to the Oblivion Cheats and Tips thread. Once I compile enough on strength I'll add that too.

#24 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Currently Lv.20, became Arena Grand Champion :cool:
Having the high Blade, Block, Heavy Armor and Destruction Magic skills helped immensely.
Done with all guild quests except for Thieves, which I'm also nearly done with.
Found a vampire hunter group, and am now in. Looks like fun.

#25 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

View PostTomatocow, on October 22nd 2006, 09:27 AM, said:

Currently Lv.20, became Arena Grand Champion :cool:
Having the high Blade, Block, Heavy Armor and Destruction Magic skills helped immensely.
Done with all guild quests except for Thieves, which I'm also nearly done with.
Found a vampire hunter group, and am now in. Looks like fun.

I previously mentioned the weight of a weapon. Do you think the key to being able to carry heavy armor lies solely with strength?

#26 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

View PostHuntn, on October 23rd 2006, 11:14 PM, said:

I previously mentioned the weight of a weapon. Do you think the key to being able to carry heavy armor lies solely with strength?

To be able to carry it is strength. To be able to do stuff with it (melee, running, jumping) and not get fatigued is endurance. I think. My endurance is 100 un-buffed. 121 with enchantments. My strength is currently 92 with no enhancements. Now level 21.

#27 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:33 PM

View PostTomatocow, on October 23rd 2006, 07:27 PM, said:

To be able to carry it is strength. To be able to do stuff with it (melee, running, jumping) and not get fatigued is endurance. I think. My endurance is 100 un-buffed. 121 with enchantments. My strength is currently 92 with no enhancements. Now level 21.

Yep, swinging a heavier weapon fatigues more than a lighter one. I've noticed a character get slower with heavy armor equipped, but didn't check on how it affects fatigue.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#28 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:02 AM

View Postnobody, on October 24th 2006, 02:33 PM, said:

Yep, swinging a heavier weapon fatigues more than a lighter one. I've noticed a character get slower with heavy armor equipped, but didn't check on how it affects fatigue.

I'm not sure if heavy armor affects fatigue when simply running, but it does affect how far you can jump, how much that tires you out, etc. I need to check how it affects melee combat and if it affects how fast you recover from fatigue. It says on the manual being a Journeyman of Athletics helps you recover from fatigue 50% faster, so if you run everywhere all the time while outdoors, that in itself will get you to pretty high Athletics points as you level.

*Spoiler and/or cheat below*

Since I wanted to be a sneak oriented character as well while going through the DB quests, I leveled my Sneak skill by going into a room where someone was sleeping, and while close to that person, got into sneak mode (slow sneak), pressed Q and had my character walk into a wall for about half an hour (real time). Got to Sneak Lv. 50 without any effort. I read about this cheat on gamefaqs. Is it on the Cheat list in this thread already? I didn't read all of it. :happy:

#29 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:36 AM

View PostTomatocow, on October 24th 2006, 01:02 AM, said:

I'm not sure if heavy armor affects fatigue when simply running, but it does affect how far you can jump, how much that tires you out, etc. I need to check how it affects melee combat and if it affects how fast you recover from fatigue. It says on the manual being a Journeyman of Athletics helps you recover from fatigue 50% faster, so if you run everywhere all the time while outdoors, that in itself will get you to pretty high Athletics points as you level.

*Spoiler and/or cheat below*
Since I wanted to be a sneak oriented character as well while going through the DB quests, I leveled my Sneak skill by going into a room where someone was sleeping, and while close to that person, got into sneak mode (slow sneak), pressed Q and had my character walk into a wall for about half an hour (real time). Got to Sneak Lv. 50 without any effort. I read about this cheat on gamefaqs. Is it on the Cheat list in this thread already? I didn't read all of it. :happy:

I can add this to the list, but could you clarify...

Q is the auto walk/run button, I got that. You have to be in close proximity to someone to sneak and get experience for it? My impression was that any time you sneak you get xp, maybe not. Finally a half hour of real time equates to something like 4 hours. I suppose you'd want to pick someone who just went to sleep and based on this premise would have to make sure they stay there a sleep for the next 30 min while you sneak into the wall. So sneaking into the wall just elevates you from having to manually control your character during this exercise? I wonder if you picked a town like Chorrol (where people are constantly strolling by) and just snuck through the streets for 30 min would accomplish the same thing? Someone would have to try this and then check your sneak skill to verify. Volunteers? ;)

On a similiar note, there are spells I cast on a regular basis, like Detect Life, Illumination, and Shield when doing nothing in particular to increase those magic skills (Mysticism, Alteration, and illusion).

When you cast a flame spell, you might miss your target. To get xp for it I wonder if you must be close proximity to a npc/mob or can you stand there and cast it at a tree and still get xp for it? I'm leaning towards the latter but am not sure.

#30 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

View PostHuntn, on October 24th 2006, 10:36 PM, said:

I can add this to the list, but could you clarify...

Q is the auto walk/run button, I got that. You have to be in close proximity to someone to sneak and get experience for it? My impression was that any time you sneak you get xp, maybe not. Finally a half hour of real time equates to something like 4 hours. I suppose you'd want to pick someone who just went to sleep and based on this premise would have to make sure they stay there a sleep for the next 30 min while you sneak into the wall. So sneaking into the wall just elevates you from having to manually control your character during this exercise? I wonder if you picked a town like Chorrol (where people are constantly strolling by) and just snuck through the streets for 30 min would accomplish the same thing? Someone would have to try this and then check your sneak skill to verify. Volunteers? ;)

For your Sneak skill to level, the eye must not be glowing. Meaning, you cannot be visible to someone. If someone sees you sneaking, that level won't rise. Also, 30 minutes of real time is apparently about 15 hours of game time. That is why the sneaking-next-to-sleeping-person-on-auto works well.

View PostHuntn, on October 24th 2006, 10:36 PM, said:

On a similiar note, there are spells I cast on a regular basis, like Detect Life, Illumination, and Shield when doing nothing in particular to increase those magic skills (Mysticism, Alteration, and illusion).

When you cast a flame spell, you might miss your target. To get xp for it I wonder if you must be close proximity to a npc/mob or can you stand there and cast it at a tree and still get xp for it? I'm leaning towards the latter but am not sure.

I'm not sure on this one, but it might be true that you have to hit an actual target (mob or NPC) to have it level.

#31 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

View PostTomatocow, on October 24th 2006, 09:22 AM, said:

For your Sneak skill to level, the eye must not be glowing. Meaning, you cannot be visible to someone. If someone sees you sneaking, that level won't rise. Also, 30 minutes of real time is apparently about 15 hours of game time. That is why the sneaking-next-to-sleeping-person-on-auto works well.
I'm not sure on this one, but it might be true that you have to hit an actual target (mob or NPC) to have it level.

So you can't be visible to someone, but you must be near someone for it to count? I'm not sure about that. I find it conceivable that if you choose a lonely place to sneak where no one sees you, say a cave that you just emptied out, you could sneak against the wall there for 30 min.

If 30 min = 15 hours of game time, then the person who is sleeping is going to get up and leave at some point... (not trying to argumentative) what happens then?

Experimentation is warranted! :)

Edit:: Experimentation accomplished. Tomato your absolutely right you must be in close proximity to someone sneaking for it to count where they can't see you, even if your behind a door and they are on the other side. When sneaking by someone, my sneak skill (starting at about level 30) increased a level approx every 90 sec. If that person leaves, you stop getting sneak credit.

...And throwing destruction spells at trees counts for nothing. You must be hitting a real live target for xp. The other spells such as illuminate, detect life, and shield do give xp by spamming them.

#32 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hell, I could have told you guys that, my first skill that generally goes up is Sneak, you just get behind a guard who is walking/riding on a highway, and sneak behind him, simple, and a cheap and easy way to level up.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#33 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:21 AM

Trust me when I say sneaking near a sleeping person while on auto is much easier. You can even make a cup of coffee and read a book while your sneak skill levels up.

#34 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

View PostTomatocow, on October 26th 2006, 02:21 AM, said:

Trust me when I say sneaking near a sleeping person while on auto is much easier. You can even make a cup of coffee and read a book while your sneak skill levels up.

My current sneak level is about 42. Every so often I can sneak up on a mob and get a bonus attack accomplished. When you get near the upper limits of sneaking skill, does it mean that mobs don't notice you at all, or does it mean they can be looking closer to your direction but not see u?

Sneak has been added to the Oblivion FAQ.

#35 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

View PostHuntn, on October 27th 2006, 05:09 AM, said:

My current sneak level is about 42. Every so often I can sneak up on a mob and get a bonus attack accomplished. When you get near the upper limits of sneaking skill, does it mean that mobs don't notice you at all, or does it mean they can be looking closer to your direction but not see u?

Sneak has been added to the Oblivion FAQ.

When your sneak goes over 50, it doesn't matter what boots you wear (even Heavy Armor), you are still silent.

#36 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

Now level 24. Completed all the guilds quests, conquered the arena, and vampire hunting is not as fun anymore. Sigh, looks like I'll have to start on the main quest... :o

#37 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:42 AM

View PostTomatocow, on October 26th 2006, 06:20 PM, said:

Now level 24. Completed all the guilds quests, conquered the arena, and vampire hunting is not as fun anymore. Sigh, looks like I'll have to start on the main quest... :o
You get wicked bad armour once you finish it. :)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#38 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on October 27th 2006, 04:42 PM, said:

You get wicked bad armour once you finish it. :)

Yeah but when I finish the main quest, I'll have nothing left to do. Maybe then I'll become evil incarnate and try to kill everyone in every town. Mwaahahaahahahahahaha

#39 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:00 AM

There's always Knights of the Nine.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#40 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:37 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on October 27th 2006, 09:00 PM, said:

There's always Knights of the Nine.

That looks very interesting indeed! Thank you Mr. Killer of the Pirate Space.