12 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:17 AM

Barefeats conducted some early testing on Mac OS 10.4.8 and discovered speed increases in Doom 3 due to multi-threaded OpenGL support in the game and newest Tiger release.

We tested some key apps just before and right after the 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 upgrade. Here's some interesting gains we saw:
DOOM 3: Low resolutions (640x480 High) ran 26% faster. We saw a 13% gains with 1024x768 Medium (no Shadows). Reason? Multi-threaded OpenGL is supported by Doom 3 in combination with the newest Tiger release. Doom 3 is currently the only app we know that takes advantage of this but don't be surprised to see patches for other OpenGL apps to appear shortly.
PHOTOSHOP CS2: Our MP2 action file ran 11% faster. We assume there are some improvements to Rosetta.
The tests were performed on a 17" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz. Barefeats plans to release an expanded report including other systems early next week.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 owlboy

owlboy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

Um, ok. Is this intel only?

-Owl

#3 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

View Postowlboy, on October 4th 2006, 04:03 PM, said:

Um, ok. Is this intel only?

-Owl

Yes, it appears so. The speedup is due to a multithreaded version of OpenGL, which takes better advantage of multiple processing cores, but which is only included in the Intel update.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#4 owlboy

owlboy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:54 AM

View Postnobody, on October 4th 2006, 02:42 PM, said:

Yes, it appears so. The speedup is due to a multithreaded version of OpenGL, which takes better advantage of multiple processing cores, but which is only included in the Intel update.

Well what the ****. We PPC users are the ones who need it more being stuck back on this forever slower hardware.

This is something that should have been done long before Intel chips, and segregating PPC users this soon is absolutely retarded. I meanů Apple still sells Power Mac G5s for ****s sake.

-Owl

#5 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

View Postowlboy, on October 5th 2006, 01:54 PM, said:

Well what the ****. We PPC users are the ones who need it more being stuck back on this forever slower hardware.

This is something that should have been done long before Intel chips, and segregating PPC users this soon is absolutely retarded. I mean… Apple still sells Power Mac G5s for ****s sake.

-Owl

So my two -yes two- processors would be obsolete BEFORE software starts taking full advantage of them?! :blink:
It sounds too ridiculous to be true really and I'll be eating my socks if we don't get MT OpenGL on PPC anytime soon (leopard or 10.4.9). I also expect leopard to shine on my G5's 64bits capabilities or Steve dear can expect my boot up his arse. :glare:

#6 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

View Postowlboy, on October 5th 2006, 07:54 AM, said:

This is something that should have been done long before Intel chips, and segregating PPC users this soon is absolutely retarded. I meanů Apple still sells Power Mac G5s for ****s sake.

Only if refurbished hardware counts, all PowerPC hardware is otherwise gone from the Apple Store.

Anyway, if I understand this correctly, it would mean that this support is coming to PowerPC, G5 and G4, in Leopard.

#7 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

View Postyves, on October 5th 2006, 10:43 PM, said:

I also expect leopard to shine on my G5's 64bits capabilities or Steve dear can expect my boot up his arse. :glare:
What do you expect 64-bit PowerPC to do for your apps? It gives you bigger numbers, but it doesn't perform computations with them any faster. (If you were having to manipulate bigger numbers in software on 32-bit then it's a different story, but most software doesn't.) AMD64 A.K.A. x86-64 A.K.A. EM64T, OTOH, is actually a significantly different ISA to x86 in ways other than the width of the general purpose registers. Notably it actually has twice as many GPRs.

#8 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

"What do you expect 64-bit PowerPC to do for your apps?"

Well ok, nothin'...nevermind  :blush:

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:45 PM

View PostTesseract, on October 5th 2006, 07:56 AM, said:

What do you expect 64-bit PowerPC to do for your apps? It gives you bigger numbers, but it doesn't perform computations with them any faster. (If you were having to manipulate bigger numbers in software on 32-bit then it's a different story, but most software doesn't.) AMD64 A.K.A. x86-64 A.K.A. EM64T, OTOH, is actually a significantly different ISA to x86 in ways other than the width of the general purpose registers. Notably it actually has twice as many GPRs.
Would Folding@home have "big enough" numbers to benefit from 64-bit?  I really don't know what sort of computations they are doing.  Just thought I'd ask in case you did.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on October 6th 2006, 05:45 AM, said:

Would Folding@home have "big enough" numbers to benefit from 64-bit?  I really don't know what sort of computations they are doing.  Just thought I'd ask in case you did.
I don't know for sure, but given the type of calculations they're doing I'd guess that they are mostly using the FPU and/or Altivec. Both are the same on both 32- and 64-bit PPC; only integers and pointers are bigger on 64-bit.

#11 owlboy

owlboy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

Yes the refurbished ones count! They are from Apple, and under warranty by Apple. These are not some eBay boxes.

-Owl

#12 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:50 AM

no... they dont count in the slightest..

the refurbs are units that have been sent out by Apple, and subsequently returned under warranty.

They are hidden out of the way in the refurb section. Clearly marked as being G5s, and even the most "normal" person would be able to spot that the new ones are called Mac Pro, so that they can make a valid decision on wether to buy it or not...

so they might as well be on ebay (BNIB)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#13 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

View Postteflon, on October 7th 2006, 02:50 AM, said:

no... they dont count in the slightest..

Still selling PPC Macs doesn't count as still selling PPC Macs?