#21 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:07 AM

hmmm...
i think what youre talking about is either MediaCentral, which isnt free, or CentreStage, which is broken, and has been every single time ive ever tried to use it.

which leaves you with iTheatre, which i might give a go, but from the screenshots, I dont like the whole green leaf theme...

Basically, I find that Front Row is the most utilitarian, the best looking, and the simplest to use (ive got a remote wonder plus, and its great). So i cant wait for 10.5 to come out, when Front Row is available to everyone, with no funking about.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#22 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:19 AM

:huh:  Hmmm... I'm not sure. I remember some very FrontRow/MediaCentral looking screenshots - that rules out both CenterStage and iTheatre - and am absolutely sure that it was freeware. I don't know...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#23 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:04 AM

are you sure it wasnt eyeTV itself? its got a full screen section... the only images i can find are in this .pdf. you might have assumed its free cos it comes with all the elgato and related products. The only real difference I can see between it and Front Row is that the background is a cool blue colour.

or it could be centre stage with a different skin.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#24 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

View Postteflon, on October 2nd 2006, 03:04 PM, said:

are you sure it wasnt eyeTV itself?
Yep, definitely. I considered downloading this program before EyeTV introduced this full-screen menu. Dang, my memory for names is crap...

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#25 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

aaah, a faces man like myself...

well, if you think of it, or find it on a sleepless night when its bugging you (i imagine it will), then just post it here or PM me. ill keep looking and if i find anything ill do the same.

#26 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Not to change the subject or anything, but:

I just thought I'd mention that I've used the downloaded combo updater to update my G5 system from 10.4.6. I have not seen any major glitches since the update, and subjectively my Mac feels a bit snappier than it used to. So far I've only tested it with the CivIV demo and NWN, but it seems all is well.

Here's hoping this info is of use to other folks contemplating an update.

#27 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

This update doesn't make anything snappier, unless you're running applications under Rosetta.  

The simple fact that you restarted your Mac (which cleans out your swapfiles), and the recalculation of the prebindings (which you can perform at any time) that occurs at the end of the installation made your Mac faster.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#28 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

No!  It's a rule that system updates make your Mac "a bit faster".  Especially Safari...that HAS to be Snappier™...every system update has made Safari Snappier™, to the point where it ought to exceed the speed of light by now.  It's just the way it is...like I said, it's a rule.  ;)

--Eric

#29 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

not to mention that it should ALWAYS "scroll like butta"

#30 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on October 3rd 2006, 08:06 AM, said:

This update doesn't make anything snappier, unless you're running applications under Rosetta.  

The simple fact that you restarted your Mac (which cleans out your swapfiles), and the recalculation of the prebindings (which you can perform at any time) that occurs at the end of the installation made your Mac faster.
Umm, I'd hardly be running apps under Rosetta on my G5 (unless there's something really wrong with the OS).

I also doubt that the change I've noticed is simply due to a restart. It hasn't been that long since the last time I restarted my computer; that happens fairly often thanks to the bug that causes NWN to hang up my system on a regular basis.

If anything about the installation process has misled me to perceive my system as having gotten snappier, it was probably the system optimization. However...

View PostEric5h5, on October 3rd 2006, 08:21 AM, said:

No!  It's a rule that system updates make your Mac "a bit faster".  Especially Safari...that HAS to be Snappier™...every system update has made Safari Snappier™, to the point where it ought to exceed the speed of light by now.
I realize you're being facetious, Eric, but this is in fact the point where I've noticed the biggest difference. However, I don't think it's Safari that's gotten snappier; more likely it's changes made to the networking functionality that are responsible. I've got a very slow broadband connection, so it's pretty noticeable when things suddenly get better.

On the other hand, it may be that there's simply been less congestion on my broadband line since I applied the update. Time will tell...

In any case, folks, please note that I did say it was a subjective impression. I'm not guaranteeing that everyone will notice an improvement; my main purpose was to mention that there were no glaring problems with the update, at least so far.

#31 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

View PostOverLoad, on October 3rd 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

It hasn't been that long since the last time I restarted my computer; that happens fairly often thanks to the bug that causes NWN to hang up my system on a regular basis.
That seemed to go away in 10.4.4 or so, but it came back in 10.4.7. :( At least it doesn't do it when I save any more, just when loading areas...

#32 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:10 PM

View PostTesseract, on October 3rd 2006, 01:30 PM, said:

That seemed to go away in 10.4.4 or so, but it came back in 10.4.7. :( At least it doesn't do it when I save any more, just when loading areas...
I've also found that it happens mainly when a new area is loading. Here's an interesting thing, though: recently I had cause to reinstall NWN and was playing for a while without CEP, and I didn't notice the problem during that time. Is it possible the level-loading-hang bug has something to do with CEP?

Recently I uninstalled CEP, just to see if the problem goes away. I'll try playing without it for a while and let you know if it happens again (in a separate thread, because this one's supposed to be about OS X and I don't want to give the Battle Cat any more hairballs ;)).

#33 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:42 AM

Whuh? You leave your macs on all the time?  :o

Really?  :blink:

Mine's on for half an hour before I go to work, most evenings and a few hours @ weekends.

My belief is that while leaving it on may ensure that cron functions are executed properly but I just do that with Cocktail now & then and not having the Mac powered when I don't need it cuts down on the wear of mechanical components like fans and hard drives, not to say precludes any possible  firewall invastions by very inventive young men.

Is that so wrong?  :(

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#34 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:46 AM

View PostLord Brixton, on October 3rd 2006, 05:42 PM, said:

My belief is that while leaving it on may ensure that cron functions are executed properly but I just do that with Cocktail now & then and not having the Mac powered when I don't need it cuts down on the wear of mechanical components like fans and hard drives, not to say precludes any possible  firewall invastions by very inventive young men.

Is that so wrong?  :(
I wouldn't say it's wrong. It sounds like a reasonable enough approach.

I have my Mac go to sleep when it's not in use, which also reduces wear of mechanical components. As for firewall invasions, I'm not too worried because the hackers will have to get through my router first; even so, they won't have much luck hacking the firewall on a sleeping Mac. And finally, I read somewhere that a sleeping Mac uses less power than one that's been turned off. I don't know if it's true, and even if it is true it's not a huge difference, but there it is.

...And I don't have to wait for my Mac to boot when I want to use it. ;)

But that's probably more important to me, because my home computer is my work computer, and I'm likely to be using it for short intervals on and off throughout the day. (And night, for that matter, 'cause I pretty much work when I feel like it.)

#35 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:10 AM

Current iMacs are rated at <4W when sleeping and <3W when turned off.

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8087 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:34 AM

View Postteflon, on October 2nd 2006, 07:17 PM, said:

well, if you think of it, or find it on a sleepless night when its bugging you (i imagine it will), then just post it here or PM me. ill keep looking and if i find anything ill do the same.
I found out: it was in fact MediaCentral. Version 1.x was freeware. Unluckily, this won't help you right now...

#37 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

I'm at the ever-stable 10.3.9 and lovin' it!  :lol:

#38 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on October 3rd 2006, 03:42 AM, said:

I just put my Power Mac to sleep when I'm not using it.  That said, the common wisdom is that startup tends to be the hardest things you can do to a system.  Sending that initial surge of electricity and having mechanical hardware spin up tends to add to the wear and tear.  (Hard drives are known to work just fine while the system is running, but refusing to spin up after a reboot or shutdown.)

Still, if it is more comfortable for you to turn your system off and on I'd continue to do so.  I've found that system components seldom fail these days.  You probably upgrade your system before something fails. :)

#39 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

View PostJanichsan, on October 3rd 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

I found out: it was in fact MediaCentral. Version 1.x was freeware. Unluckily, this won't help you right now...

aaah... well, it looks like a fix for Front Row is done. ill just wait a little while for people to test it for me ;)

as far as shutting computers off, I never do. I figure that it uses about 2W for the actually computer, 1W for the display, and 1W for the speakers. And I often turn the screen and speakers off, as the only reason why they consume anything is because of the LEDs to show theyre on. I rarely turn it off, as it simply takes time to load up again, and then the apps launch slower etc. etc. etc.

I only ever leave my machine on if its encoding video/downloading "files"

if a machine is asleep, it doesnt do the cron functions in the middle of the night... and the fans dont run either. Also, it will only be woken by hackers if on a ethernet network and you have "wake by ethernet" turned on. Airport doesnt let this happen.

#40 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

back to talking about 10.4.8, Barefeats has this to say:
"DOOM 3: Low resolutions (640x480) ran 26% faster. Reason? Multi-threaded OpenGL is supported by Doom 3 in combination with the newest Tiger release. Doom 3 is currently the only app we know that takes advantage of this but expect updates to other apps to take advantage of this.."

can anyone out there corroborate this?