#1 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

Well, I just saw that 10.4.8 was released.  I didn't see any mention of the multi-threaded OpenGL in the release notes, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

[Edit - Ozzy beat Lord Brixton by 38 minutes but put his post in the wrong forum.  I merged the two and moved it to the correct forum - tBC]

#2 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

Nothing obviously good or bad yet. Your comments?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#3 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

Just updated. No apparent problems so far. Mail seems a bit snappier, but that may just be my imagination.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Before someone asks, here is what is new:

This update offers many improvements, including the following, which apply to both Intel- and Power-PC-based Macs unless otherwise noted:

Printing

Adds support for CDSASSL (Common Data Security Architecture Secure Sockets Layer) printer connections.
Addresses an issue for Mac OS X 10.4.7 in which some documents containing some Chinese or Korean language characters might not print as expected.
Finder and Apple applications

Resolves an issue in which a Finder alert message with the buttons "Initialize", "Ignore", and "Eject" might not appear after connecting a partitioned FireWire hard drive.
Addresses a potential issue in which Preview may unexpectedly quit.
Improves reliability of iTunes syncing with certain iPod models.
Networking and modem

Resolves performance issues that could occur when connecting to a Comcast network.
Improves security by adding support for EAP-FAST for AirPort wireless authentication.
Improves Express Card behavior for portable Intel-based Macs.
Improves reliability for connections made in Ireland with an external Apple USB Modem.
Improves connection reliability for external Apple USB Modems when resuming an Internet connection after answering an incoming call.
A computer restart is no longer needed to restart nfsd.
Improves Apple File Sharing client performance by changing the default AFP WAN quantum size.. More...
Windows File Sharing now generates only one process, avoiding an issue that could cause a Mac OS X computer to become unresponsive if it won a master browser election.
Improves reliability when faxing in France or Belgium via an external Apple USB Modem.
Third-party

Resolves an issue for Microsoft Word in which Word might stop responding when saving a file that uses certain OpenType fonts.
Adds RAW image decoding support for these cameras: Sony DSLR-A100, Nikon D2Xs, Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, Fuji FinePix S3 Pro (+Highlights) and Konica Minolta 7.
Resolves an issue in which thumbnails may appear blank when importing RAW images from a Canon 30D camera.
Resolves an issue for Microsoft PowerPoint in which the display resolution might not change as expected after switching from a PowerPoint presentation to a different application via Command-Tab.
Improves compatibility for Canon EOS Utility software after connecting a Canon EOS Kiss Digital camera to a PowerPC-based Mac.
Improves compatibility for the TV Tracker 2 Dashboard widget.
Other

Includes recent Apple security updates.
Improves the accuracy of Rosetta numerics and addresses Altivec translation issues on Intel-based Macs.
ColorSync matching no longer fails when using a V4 ICC profile in an application opened with Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac.
Addresses an issue in which some USB devices connected to a PCI card may not be recognized after starting up or waking the computer.
Resolves an issue in which external USB-based video cameras may not be available after quitting the application that is using it.
Reduces time needed to transfer data from a USB-based image scanner.
Improves responsiveness of the Translation Dashboard widget.
Addresses an issue in which text typed with the Hangul input method may not be visible while the Caps Lock key is active, on PowerPC-based Macs.
Adds support on Intel-based Macs for multiple cores to LAPACK and BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework; the maximum number of threads used by Accelerate BLAS routines is now limited by the environment variable VECLIB_MAXIMUM_THREADS; addresses an issue with some complex BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework that were encountering an illegal instruction.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

no sight of MultiThreaded OpenGL... so it looks like Feral have waited for nothing.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 29th 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

Resolves performance issues that could occur when connecting to a Comcast network.

thank god! i was having a lot of issues with that.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 29th 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

View Postthe Battle Cat, on September 29th 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

thank god! i was having a lot of issues with that.
Don't mock me boy!  I have the BUTTON!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

I installed this update and my 2GHz MacBook Pro which normally idles at 1.5/1.67GHz and temps of 45/50F shot up to 2GHz at all times with temps as high as 65F--and mindful readers of this board would know that I performed the thermal paste fix on the unit months ago.

#9 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:39 PM

didn't tuncer say that multi threaded open GL was coming in 10.5?

#10 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on September 30th 2006, 06:39 AM, said:

didn't tuncer say that multi threaded open GL was coming in 10.5?
At least, that was the state of knowledge some time. Later the rumor was, that it might also be included in a MacOS X 10.4.x patch.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#11 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

View PostJanichsan, on September 30th 2006, 12:45 AM, said:

At least, that was the state of knowledge some time. Later the rumor was, that it might also be included in a MacOS X 10.4.x patch.
That's because it IS included on the 10.4.7 builds that come with the Mac Pro towers. Why not migrate the development to the rest of the Mac family? Dunno. :huh:
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#12 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

View Postehuelga, on September 30th 2006, 09:49 PM, said:

That's because it IS included on the 10.4.7 builds that come with the Mac Pro towers. Why not migrate the development to the rest of the Mac family?
They're "subtly" encouraging people to buy Mac Pros? </ConspiracyTheory>

#13 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

My MBP does feel a bit hotter :blink:

#14 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

View PostTomatocow, on October 1st 2006, 09:05 AM, said:

My MBP does feel a bit hotter :blink:

you think your macbook PRO is hot? check this out:

http://flickr.com/ph...hara/249708889/

#15 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

That specific problem was fixed by a firmware update months ago.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on October 1st 2006, 04:17 PM, said:

That specific problem was fixed by a firmware update months ago.
By an personally invested MBP owning Apple Tech with a very high voice.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Apple Support said:

Important: Please read before installing.

After installing the delta version of this update on an Intel-based Mac, the computer will restart two times--the first restart after installing this update may take several minutes; please allow it to complete.
God I wish I had read that before installing. That gave me the creaps. I've done that before, but I was warned last time.

I haven't had much time to didle with ith, but by the looks of things this has much better memory management.
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#18 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

Double and triple restarting is intentional, and has been used on numerous OS X point updates.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#19 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:34 AM

i found a few days ago that enabling front row 1.3 on my Cube (and, i imagine, on any other unsupported machine) broke the boot up process. It was very annoying and slightly frustrating, but I managed to fix it buy replacing the two bezel files via another persons mac (see AndrewEscobar.com)...

i miss front row :(
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:16 AM

Wasn't there a nice freeware alternative - that even incorporated EyeTV directly?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"