45 replies to this topic

#21 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

I played the demo. And it gets a big "meh" from me.
The graphics are tolerable, but the sounds (engine sound) are poor.
The physics are appaling, and if the only stuff included with the game are the tracks and cars I can scroll though in the demo, its a lousy value for money.

But mostly its the physics, I mean if anyone ever tried to drift as much you can in the "simulation" mode with the mini, thay would be in for an unpleasent surprise, the car would flip over XXX times.

The game creator probably did have a drivers license, but I doubt he had ever driven on a track. Or faster than the speed limit...

And finally: a mini ???? yuck!

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

View PostRev-O, on September 24th 2006, 09:10 AM, said:

...begins thinking about how much fun an online demolition derby game could really be...
I would so be in on that it would make your radiator implode.  The most fun I had playing Halo was smashing the Warthogs into each other with a group of friends.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Amen. That was/is fun as hell. Someone should make an all-terrain destruction derby with the Halo 1 engine.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

Nope, Microsoft would shut it down. :P
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#25 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:30 AM

View PostFrost, on September 25th 2006, 12:23 AM, said:

Someone should make an all-terrain destruction derby with the Halo 1 engine.

Wideload's next game?!? ;)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#26 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:23 AM

View Postteflon, on September 25th 2006, 03:30 AM, said:

Wideload's next game?!? ;)
...the "Sod-o-Mobile Trak Pak" expansion. 360-compatible and XBL-enabled. :happy:

#27 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:52 AM

Ya know, I liked the game.  I realize that I am in the minority here, but I thought it was fun, and challenging to release other cars, to get the bronze, silver, gold and such.  I also like the Multiplayer too.  It probably isn't the most accurate when it comes to the physics, but I have fun playing it.   It's only $25 bucks so, I bought it.  The other tracks are pretty damn fun, besides the demo ones.  The Lambo Diablo car is very fun, also playing the TURBO mode is great fun too!  Oh, BTW my alias is JawBone on multiplay if anyone plays.

Just my 2 !  :)

#28 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

I put a similar reply in the news thread, but I'll post it here too. I've really enjoyed the game as well. I have to admit I wasn't looking for a hardcore driving sim though, and I haven't even touched the 'simulation' game level. I've had a ball racing online (against NeverFade/Jawbone a number of times, actually). I almost never play games online, it's usually not worth the hassle and the morons. The last multiplayer game I've played was several years ago, but Redline makes getting online almost too easy to resist. I don't have a lot of time to play games, but since the races are only a few minutes long, you can get several in in a short time frame. And the Arcade level is forgiving enough that you don't have to practice for hours and hours to be competitive. I suspect Ambrosia will be getting my $25 here eventually.

#29 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

The trouble with Redline is, we've all played Gran Turismo 3 three years ago and it dumps on it from a height.  And it was "only" 40 quid.....

Ambrosia have at least made a slight departure though - normally they make games with nice graphics and no gameplay, this time they've managed to do the double.

#30 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

It may be hard to believe, but there are actually people who don't have a console...

#31 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostDr. Geebs, on September 26th 2006, 11:15 PM, said:

Ambrosia have at least made a slight departure though - normally they make games with nice graphics and no gameplay, this time they've managed to do the double.

um... thats wrong.

including everything that ambrosia has published since 2000, you have the following from oldest to newest (remakes not included):
Ferazel's Wand
Deimos Rising
EV Nova 0
Pop-pop
Uplink 0
Aki
Gooball * - 0
Darwinia - 0
el Ballo *
Redline * -

next to those with questionable gameplay (generally complained about for 1 reason or another) are a *
next to those with a touted graphics engine is a -
next to those which i think are funking A is a
those made outside of Ambrosia (more than one main person as I understand it) are marked 0

anyway, of those games which Ambrosia have published that are "pretty but lacking in gameplay" only 2 come anywhere near that statement as far as im concerned, and Gooball only suffered as it was mainly just a tech demo for the Unity engine. You dont see anyone complaining about SMB now do you? which leaves you with 1 game... Redline.

it is true, though, that id like to see more stuff coming from Ambrosia, and more really high quality stuff coming from actual Ambrosia, with the last really good game from them being Deimos Rising. But they arent doing too badly as it stands, and i really like their relationship with Introversion Software. Lets hope that Sketchfighter brings everyone back to being their best friend.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#32 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

Wow, yeah...never before has it ever been suggested that Ambrosia is even remotely a "nice graphics, no gameplay" company.  At this rate, I now fully expect Spiderweb Software to be accused of putting glitz before substance.  ;)  And no, we "all" haven't played Gran Turismo 3....

--Eric

#33 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

meh, GT's got plenty of its own faults. Namely dropping a huge amount of cool cars so they could fit FIFTY fire trucking Skylines in GT4. I can understand 5, since it's a popular car. But FIFTY?!

Not to mention all the cars sound roughly the same. I used to prefer GT to Project Gotham, but the latest iteration of Gotham > Gran Turismo. They have fewer cars, but they actually made the effort to do them all right. In the end, that counts more than 50,000 Skylines.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#34 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

I tried the demo for a few hours
big disapointment here too
the main reason is the lack of fun
2nd reason is the animation (physics and realism)
even if the price is good, I would prefer to put more money and buy Colin 2005 when it comes out

#35 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

I really don't get some of these responses I've read over the last couple of days. Sure it isn't the best racing game the world has ever known, but, honestly, what did you expect from a shareware title that was made by a couple of guys?

I could care less for extremely realistic physics. As it is, those that are there work fine for me. I usually only play arcade style racing, anyways, if at all. The graphics certainly don't have a wow-factor, but they don't detract from the game either; with all the details cranked up they look decent enough.

Redline certainly doesn't need to be slammed as much as some people think it does.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#36 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

I don't care about what others say, this game is loads of fun.  It's the closest we Mac gamers will get to something like Midtown Madness or Project Gotham Racing.  It's an console-style arcade racer with decent visuals and fun handling modes.  So what if physics aren't up to standards set by games like GT or Colin McRae...it's not supposed to anyhow.

All told, the game runs well on my setup, is plenty of fun, and costs less than most console titles.  Sure it took its time as far as release is concerned, but for me it was well worth it!
Well done Ambrosia! :happy:

#37 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

Not to mention, they may be releasing an editor for it later...

#38 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

View PostPegasus, on September 27th 2006, 10:22 PM, said:

I really don't get some of these responses I've read over the last couple of days. Sure it isn't the best racing game the world has ever known, but, honestly, what did you expect from a shareware title that was made by a couple of guys?

I could care less for extremely realistic physics. As it is, those that are there work fine for me. I usually only play arcade style racing, anyways, if at all. The graphics certainly don't have a wow-factor, but they don't detract from the game either; with all the details cranked up they look decent enough.

Redline certainly doesn't need to be slammed as much as some people think it does.

I think some of these replies were made of the assumption tht the game was supposed to be more of a seroius racing game the style of Nascar 2003 / Total Immersion Racing game rather than a simple game for the younger crowd.

Looking at the thread now, I see I was wrong about my assumptions... :)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#39 horstel

horstel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

View PostMacProject, on September 27th 2006, 04:31 PM, said:

I don't care about what others say, this game is loads of fun.  It's the closest we Mac gamers will get to something like Midtown Madness or Project Gotham Racing.  It's an console-style arcade racer with decent visuals and fun handling modes.  So what if physics aren't up to standards set by games like GT or Colin McRae...it's not supposed to anyhow.

All told, the game runs well on my setup, is plenty of fun, and costs less than most console titles.  Sure it took its time as far as release is concerned, but for me it was well worth it!
Well done Ambrosia! :happy:

I agree it's lots of fun(apart from those stupid 'challenges'), but it doesn't offer any decent tracks. 6 short and unexciting maps don't justify the 25$ price tag, imho.
It's fine for a free game, but not for one they charge you for.

Keep in mind it's download only, no box, no middle men, no shipping costs, no fancy advertising, no nothing but a fairly raw product, beta tested by the community.
If that game was more refined (maps) and put on the store shelves for 50$, Ambrosia would make a lot less money than they do now.

Hence, Redline is grossly overpriced....

#40 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Unfortunately, even when you're dealing with just a download-only product, you are not free of middle-men and other costs.  It would be nice, but that's not close to reality...ask Glenda Adams about that and why Gamerhood prices aren't less than boxed products.  Or why VP's downloads get you a whole whopping $5 off.  Etc.

--Eric